My new standy....

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

My new standy....

Postby doug hodder » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:20 am

It's still in a design stage...but the profile is pretty much determined...may be some additional modifications on the curves, but the over all dimensions are set. After some considerable looking around...seems that bread box designs aren't done up this short, most are like 16' min. I'll probably find out why. Things like the dia. of the curves are certainly a consideration...my thing is to make it look appropriate for the size and keep stuff in proportion. Street appearance is most important to me. It's gotta fit in the garage with at a maximum...swapping wheels on it with my utility trailer to get it in and out...I do that on the Nomad now.

Plan is to make the roof in plywood, 1/4", with a glass/epoxy cloth covering, cold molded ply corners, 2 layers of 1/8"...sides to be in aluminum with 1/8" aluminum trim pieces around the roof line and verticals on the sides. Hopefully I can fake the roof so that it appears to be the real deal....I don't have any sophisticated metal working tools to do it up in compounded aluminum corners. A horizontal line of trim above the windows/door for separation on the sides and the roof. The old ones were done with this trim piece.

2 tone paint (acrylic urethane) with an accenting pinstripe, thinking dark blue bottom/gold upper with red stripe...graphics yet to be determined. Marmoleum flooring, gotta be blue...with a nice old look, and have been looking for the correct 1940 Coleman Cabin stove to be restored for the galley. (yup...I'm watching the current one on e-bay).

Interior to be honey stained birch, with hopefully some Deco designs 3D in contrasting colors (red mahogany) to tie it all together on the interior, hopefully radius corners on the cabinetry...we'll see about that. Artillery wheels 15", with wide whites, trim rings and stainless caps. Frame will be a stretched one from the Nomad. gotta find a good vintage single faucet with the china cross handle, and hopefully an enameled sink.

Some front and rear small awnings over the windows as well as a side one is in line to keep with the look of a late 30's early 40's appearance.

Plan is to make up some mock corners to see how to do them with a minimum of brain damage. Working towards this right now...no set date for pulling the trigger....I just gotta think through some of the other stuff. I don't put a lot of high tech stuff into a trailer....it's for camping...it's real basic...mostly for the appearance and fun rather than any high tech stuff. Just how I build. Name to be...."Kamp King" Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby nevadatear » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:26 am

Doug, Looks like you are going to have a fun building winter. Will all three fit in your garage? Don't tell me the teardrop will have to go! Got to have at least one teardrop don't you? :lol: Enjoy your build, we will be watching. Tell me about "cold molded ply" not familiar with the process for your corners.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:42 am

Doug,

I really like Camp King lines and your low tech retro thinking :thumbsup:

Looking forward to yet another great trailer build, you are an inspiration.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:48 am

Thanks for posting your latest vision, Doug. It gives us something to look forward to. It's got nice lines, too! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby starleen2 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:56 am

Cool design and looks kinda familar as well. :thumbsup: breadbox, eh?
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Re: My new standy....

Postby aggie79 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:38 am

Doug,

Once again, you've garnered the attention of the whole membership. I can't wait to see this build unfold.

Tom
Last edited by aggie79 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby planovet » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:08 pm

Any interior ideas?
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby rainjer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:05 pm

planovet wrote:Any interior ideas?

Knowing Doug he has it all planned out on his NAD program. (Napkin Aided Drawing) :D :D

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:51 pm

I'm thinking I don't particularly care for the radius on the front corner....If I bag the idea of the aluminum siding and went with epoxy over wood, I could make it larger more aerodynamic appearing. I wanted to wrap the sides in alumiunum and bring it around the front corner. The dia of the top curve would dictate how high it could be on the sides.....maybe I'll redraw that. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby High Desert » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:59 pm

This looks like another great build Doug. I'm sure seeing it come together will be a real learning experience for us watchers, just like the Sierra Nomad was. :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Cool!

Postby Alfred » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:23 pm

That looks great, Doug. I really like the retro breadbox look!

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby Prem » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:45 pm

:thumbsup: Nice.

Looks a lot like John's awesome build:

My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:50 pm

Unrelated, but Prem's picture is funny as hell in a sick sort of way. I just can't help it. :lol:

Oh, and Doug, the design looks awesome. Looking forward to the show this winter. :thumbsup:

Scott
Last edited by Oasis Maker on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:18 pm

It will be another beauty I'm sure.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:02 pm

That is an awesome build Prem...I really like that! I was wanting to do the full radius corners, but that would certainly cut down on a ton of work with the flat sides and a lot of dollars, and a whole lot easier to paint. I've modified some corners and changed the back angle a bit. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to Member Designs