Our Take on the Sheep Wagon

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby SmilinJack » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:12 pm

Dusty,

Yeah, I was posting it for others. I knew you were going to use a real stove. If (or hopefully when) I build a sheep wagon, I'd like a real stove. too.

Anxiously awaiting any update on your drawings :roll:
Jack
SmilinJack
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dusty82 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:02 pm

Actually, I haven't done much with the drawing at all. I've gone back and tweaked it here and there, changing an edge here and a profile there, but nothing that would stand out. I open the drawing every now and then and give it look over to see if I've missed anything, or drawn something that won't work in real life, but I haven't found anything earth shattering so far. To be honest, I've been engineering (in my mind) a cathedral box for the roof and figuring out how to securely mount the stove to the floor. I don't want that heavy son-of-a-gun breaking loose in a fender bender and joining us in the van.

We haven't made any decisions on the interior woods yet - I think DW wants to see the interior built before she commits. We've had a stretch of very nice weather here lately (we hit 67 one day) and I think I missed an opportunity to get the frame sandblasted and painted, but I know my luck. If I'd have started sandblasting, it would have snowed for a week straight before I got it half stripped.

I've been thinking about going ahead and starting the build thread, starting with pictures of the chassis as it sits now, and documenting the mods to it. The main reason I haven't is because it's gonna be a slow process, with updates coming very slowly - basically due to weather. About all I'll be able to document will be the chassis as it sits now, repacking the bearings and overhauling the brakes, and cleaning up the wheels. Not very exciting stuff. And with the temps not expected to be warm enough to sandblast and paint until at least April, I'm unsure about jumping the gun with a build thread.

I have two other camping related projects in works as well. We're still in the process of renovating our pop-up trailer, and I'm playing with ideas for a TTT based on the Coleman Saratoga frame I have. I'm currently in love with StomperXJ's Retrobox design (Thanks again for the SKP file, Stomper!) but I'm also totally enthralled with the Conqueror design here:

http://www.conqueroraustralia.com.au/

I have a very close friend who builds hot rods for a living, and he assures me that together we can most certainly build something very similar to the Conqueror.

Man - talk about not knowing which way to turn at the moment... :?
TV: 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport

Currently stuck in a tent.
Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby SmilinJack » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:02 pm

Dusty82,

You have a PM.

jack
Jack
SmilinJack
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dusty82 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:09 pm

I don't see a PM - you sure it got sent? Last one in my inbox is from Jan 2nd.

Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby SmilinJack » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Dusty,

I'll try again...

Jack
Jack
SmilinJack
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SmilinJack » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Dusty,

OK. New PM sent.

Jack
Jack
SmilinJack
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Corwin C » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:20 pm

These are pricey and modern, but there are some good ideas here ...
Timberline Range Camps

They are built here in Utah by the family of a friend.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby Dusty82 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks! I have 'em bookmarked.

Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby droid_ca » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:22 pm

just wondering whats happening with this one
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Re: Our Take on the Sheep Wagon

Postby shropshire » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:34 pm

Dusty82,
I have been a lover of sheepwagons as long as I can remember and have always wanted to own one myself. I'm sure you are aware of the prices asked for these wonderful abodes. Which is why I don't have one! I have thought much about building one instead and have kicked around the idea of a tandem axle unit and when I saw your design, I fell in love.
Is there anything happening with the build or is it still in the design/dreaming stage?
Not too far from you-I'm in southern Idaho.
shropshire
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dusty82 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:40 pm

So sorry that this went so long without any updates at all. A lot has happened since I was working on this design, to include the death of my mother, a move to Oregon from Nevada, and a complete career change in a direction I would have never expected. I lost all of these drawings in a hard drive failure and will basically need to start from scratch - if indeed I decide to do that. With everything that has gone on, I've done a lot of re-evaluating and have come to the conclusion that I just don't have the time for a project of this size. Truth be told, I don't have time to do a lot of things. Still, I'm making the time to be with and enjoy my family, and to me, that's more important than any camper could ever be.

It's not a downer - nothing has ended. It's a new beginning for me, and one that my entire family looks forward to making together. I'll pop in and lurk from time to time, but for right now, for me, I need to focus on what I have. Thank you all for everything, and have fun!

Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:55 pm

Good to hear your still alive and kicking, and get out and enjoy what you have. Memories with that family are the greatest, although camping memories are the best.

:thumbsup:
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Member Designs