Planning Penguino (pen-GUEE-no)

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Planning Penguino (pen-GUEE-no)

Postby Catherine+twins » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:47 pm

First, I have a black car, so we already know the camper is going to be black and white. Dear son has had a thing for Macaroni penguins ever since he was a toddler, and Penguino is his stuffed penguin. Seems logical that the camper would take its name from the loved stuffy.

:)

My design is influenced by the tent-top camper my grandpa built in the 1940s, and which my mom grew up camping in, and then us through the 1970s. It was 6' wide, 8' long, back entry, beds/bunks lenghtwise, and kitchen drawers that pulled out the back for outside cooking, Colman stove, ice chest, no heater, no water tank. Minimalist. Grandpa's was 800 pounds empty, probably 1200 when loaded for camping.

I bought an old PUP several years ago, and it was HEAVY! Also a pain for a single person to put up! And although my kids wanted to be helpful, they just weren't big enough. When the aging canvas failed, I sold the trailer for someone else to build on, and we went back to tent camping. But I kept thinking of the camper from my childhood, and how easy it was to just park, set up, and camp.

Then I found T&TTT! I figured that I would buy/build a 5wide tear, and the 3 of us could squeeze in. But the kids are 9 now, and getting bigger, so I considered a large tear with a bunk for one kid.. We live in bear country, so I wasn't happy with the idea of me in the tear and the kids in a tent. I'm getting older, too, so I also wasn't happy with the idea of the KIDS in the tear and ME in a tent. Then I wanted a table and benches inside for when the weather is drippy or cool. The camper kept growing.

I wanted to keep it under 1000 pounds, though! I started looking through the vintage plans at standies. At least one called for 1/2 inch ply for the floor, and 1/4 inch ply for the walls, didn't seem to call for insulation or inside skin--that sounded light! They all seemed to include a camp oven, closet space, unnecessary heavy stuff and no bunks for kids. And a door in the side just wastes space, as far my needs go. We have so far always camped in Forest/Park Service campgrounds with privies, so we don't need a toilet (we'll take a converted bucket, as needed, for more primitive camping). Likewise, we don't need a water tank, as we can fill a carrier from the faucet at the campground.

So anyway, this is what I have come up with. Lenghwise queen bed, wall to wall, bunk overhead supported by 1/2 inch ply ends (the ones near the back/door will be hinged to fold out of the way when we are using the bed area as a table and seating). 1/2 inch floor and back wall, 1/4 inch side walls. I was thinking the roof would be 1/4 inch, as it was all I could find, but I may have a source for 1/8 now. I'd like a 24" wide Dutch door in the back, but the door and the drawers are still in the planning stage. :o

Oh, my grid doesn't show, and I don't have measurements! I'm building on a HF 4x8, making my floor 64 inches wide, and from the front of the curve to the back it will be 10 ft (hanging 1 foot off the back of the triler). There will be 2 feet between the benches, a little more right inside the door where the kitchen drawer/cabinets are, 24" wide door. It'll be a bit over 6' at the high end. I'm still looking at windows, so I haven't marked anything for those.

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby angib » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:21 am

Catherine, that looks good. A few comments:

- 64" width is very tight for a dinette, particularly if it has low seats. It's doable, but tight. Any increase in seat height will make it work better. It might be worth building a mock-up out of boxes and cardboard sheet to check the dimensions.

- It looks like 24" from the seat to the bunk above, including the mattress. That is the sort of low headroom that navies use in three-high bunks, so that's tight too. Assuming you will always have the lower bed made up the full width, 20" to the underside of the bunk above is bearable, as you can lie down in the middle of the bed first and then scoot sideways under the bunk.

- 1 foot of rear overhang over the HF trailer is fine structurally, but a combination of that and having the galley at the back means that you will have to relocate the axle further back to keep a safe balance on the finished trailer. It is probably easier to just lengthen the HF trailer (by using two cross-members inside the side rails) to 9 feet which will move the wheels back about the right amount - someone will hopefully post a link to a thread with photos of doing this.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:30 pm

Hmm, maybe I should just keep it at 8 feet, then. The kitchen drawers will slide further under the benches, but that's no problem. It'll also make cutting the pieces for the floor easier. ;)

Thanks for commenting. I've been reading a lot of build threads, and yours is always a voice of reason and experience.

Catherine
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:25 pm

I've decided to move the bunk up to 28 inches above the bench, giving just a bit more space below. One of my earler drawings was a bit rounder in front, giving more room for the bunk-sleeper's feet. Hey, we have big feet in our family, so that's an important consideration.

:lol:

I'm working outside (no garage), and we are expecting high winds with gusts to 60, so no cutting plywood today. I don't want to go flying.

Catherine
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Return to Member Designs