Update on 1/4 Nelson "Stacker" build

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Update on 1/4 Nelson "Stacker" build

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Well it has taken 6 years, but it is finally finished. It only sleeps one, is 40 inches wide, 72 inches long and flips up on it's back end when stored against the wall in the garage. My feet touch the hatchlid, but shouldn't be a problem. I've kept the weight down by building with 1/8" plywood, a hollow-core door for the floor and no storage cabinets below the galley counter top. So far according to my bathroom scale, it weighs in at 245 lbs.

Being a first generation, Ameican-born Swede, I decided to paint it with the Swedish flag colors. Blue body and yellow fenders and window trim. Since my teardrop shaped windows don't open, I have built folding, removable screens to allow air flow in the opening below the gallley counter top and up through the roof hatch. If that doesn't do the job, I'll consider a remote 110 volt AC unit that can pump cool air inside. This might be required when I take it to Minden this summer.

During a test run, I was amazed that I was able to reach the top of the onramp to the freeway, doing 70 mph with my 4 banger Camry. If I was able to get 28 mpg pulling the heavier woody, I should be able to get 30 mpg pulling the "Stacker". We'll see. So, Lake Perris, here I come.
8) :? ;) Roly
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Roly,

Congratulations on finishing. :thumbsup:

I've admired the pictures of the stacker sitting on it's end many times and can't wait to see the finished photos.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:32 pm

Congratulations on the 1/4 Nelson stacker's completion! I'm guessing that you're going to do the 'unveiling' at the gathering?

One more question...How do you lift it up to stack it like this if it weighs 245 lbs?

S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby canned o minimum » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Roly,
You'll be the center of attraction once again, and "I" will be first in line to whitness the unveiling.

4 more days ! It'll take me two trips to git all my stuff there...

Yer #1 fan, Robert
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby High Desert » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:59 pm

Outstanding Roly. Look forward to seeing pics too, have always admired the 1/4 stacker and your ingenuity in it's build. Now go have some fun!
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Betsey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:11 am

Hey Roly!

Looking forward to visiting with you in Minden and getting a look-see at the new trailer!

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:57 am

:lol:

That is a really unique profile! Love it!! Can't wait to see the pictures of it finished!!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu May 12, 2011 12:00 am

Hey Roly

Nice looking trailer. I have seen the pictures of it at the Dam Gathering. Looks like a nice build and one thought out instead of. Design it as I build method I usually use.

I have decided to paint most of mine as my varnishing technique sucked and the wood was crappy looking anyway. So now my sides will be blue with yellow fenders. Hmmmm. I am not copying you, really.

:o

It just happened that way. I should have one side of it done this weekend. Will do the other side in a few months

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Return to Member Designs