Why cut doors and windows before skin?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Why cut doors and windows before skin?

Postby John6012 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:11 pm

I am in the process/planning a Teardrop and wonder why some cut the doors and windows out with the sides lying on the frame. In my opinion (and I could be wrong)< it would be just as easy for me to cut the openings after I have the sides and roof mounted, gaining access to the inside from the galley/hatch. Can I cut the openings such as this or should I cut them before skin/and mounting?
John6012
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:11 pm

...it is WHOLE lot easier working in the horizontal(workbench) than the vertical. Since most will use the cutout for the door as the door(at least I did) a clean accurate cut while the work is in the vertical would be a much tougher proposition
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby McTeardrops » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:05 am

Cutting out the opening makes the sides and skins a bit lighter, and MUCH easier to handle. The door opening is the best place to put clamps while trying to hold up and align the skins
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Return to Member Designs