3 x 3, one wheel TD, finally started.

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

3 x 3, one wheel TD, finally started.

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue May 31, 2011 12:14 am

Last Sat, I got tired of the working on the cereal box cardboard models, so I actually began const'n of the new 3ft x 3ft, one-wheel TD with a tip-out side to allow for a full bed. Just installed the rafters and roof plywood, and the bathroom scale says it now weighs 48 pounds! So, if all goes as planned, with the wheel and tire, the dual hitch set-up and the 26 inch wide tip-out, it should clock in at under 150 lbs. Hmmm, maybe I can now be the charter member of the "3 WIDE CLUB". (The 5 WIDE CLUB laughed at my "40 inch wide sign")

I've been checking on the requirements for pulling a single wheel, and it looks like if it is no longer than 4 ft from the rear tail lights of the car, no license, running lights of red flag is required. With the dual hitch, it should be about 47 inches, which should satisify the DMV and Highway Patrol. I've been trying to find this rule in written form from the DMV, but so far, no luck. Tomorrow, after 4 days of construction, it should be sleep-able, then with a little more galley work and paint, I'll take it out on the road to see how it tracks.

8) :? :thinking: :lol: Roly, (see, they say you can't build just one......how about 3?)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Loader » Tue May 31, 2011 6:47 am

Sounds like a really neat little trailer Roly. Can't wait to see it!

Besides, working on the real trailer is better than making models of it out of cereal boxes! :lol:
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Re: 3 x 3, one wheel TD, finally started.

Postby jeprovo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:49 am

Roly Nelson wrote:I've been checking on the requirements for pulling a single wheel, and it looks like if it is no longer than 4 ft from the rear tail lights of the car, no license, running lights of red flag is required. With the dual hitch, it should be about 47 inches, which should satisify the DMV and Highway Patrol. I've been trying to find this rule in written form from the DMV, but so far, no luck...

I think as long as it's got a wheel touching the ground it needs to be registered. (in California at least)
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf ... ler_id.pdf

I am really interested in how the little trailer tows, and how you are planning on coupling it to the tow vehicle.
jeprovo
Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:01 pm

Naturally, a single wheel trailer must have two connections to the tow vehicle to keep it from tipping over. I plan to make a custom hitch that slips into my existing 1 1/4 reciever that has provisions for dual hook ups to the dual 'tongues' extending out from below the floor of the 3 x 3 tear. This unit will have stabalizing tabs connected to the existing cross member of the Tow-Rite bolt-on hitch below the bumper of my 4 banger Camry. Yep, it looks like I will have to have the little single-wheeler registered and licensed......bummer.

I just finished the hatch lid and fold-down galley shelf, then stood the wooden contraption up on end on the trusty bathroom scale and it's weight is now up to 46 pounds, without the hitch or the single wheel. I hope to keep it below 150 lbs when finished. We'll see. If all else fails, it sure will make some great firewood for the ol' campfire.
8) ;) :thumbsup: Roly
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby MarkD » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:55 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing it and I bet it will be great!
MarkD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roly Nelson » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:19 pm

Just finished the 3x3 today, all it lacks now is some paint, a single wheel and the 2 point connection to the car. My bathroom scale says it now weighs 80 pounds with the 30 inch tip-out and it's 20 inch slide-out hootinanny installed. The bed is 6 ft 4in long and the back of the tear is still less than 4ft from the trunk lid of the car. Can't wait to cook my first breakfast in the galley, where my coleman stove fits nicely on the flip-down counter-top. Pics will follow when all is finished.
8) :? :thumbsup: Roly.......(hey, how do you back-up a one wheel teardrop trailer?)
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby High Desert » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:10 am

Can't wait to see the pics Roly, hootinanny and all :lol: 8)
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby john » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:57 am

Why even have a wheel?

With its light weight slide it into the receiver like one of those hitch trays. Or in your case slide it into two receivers for greater stability. ( those trays can wobble a bit)

No wheel to buy, no wheel to blow, no need for a spare, no need for a tag.

Totally looking forward to pics.
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby Danny » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Roly Nelson wrote:Just finished the 3x3 today, all it lacks now is some paint, a single wheel and the 2 point connection to the car. My bathroom scale says it now weighs 80 pounds with the 30 inch tip-out and it's 20 inch slide-out hootinanny installed. The bed is 6 ft 4in long and the back of the tear is still less than 4ft from the trunk lid of the car. Can't wait to cook my first breakfast in the galley, where my coleman stove fits nicely on the flip-down counter-top. Pics will follow when all is finished.
8) :? :thumbsup: Roly.......(hey, how do you back-up a one wheel teardrop trailer?)
where are the pix? I am really curious to see this one wheeler. Does anyone else have any pix of it?
Danny
The 300 Club

Postby paulnb57 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Im desperate to see this creation, it sounds quite radical - please post some photos!!

Cheers!!

Paul
paulnb57
Teardrop Builder

Return to Member Designs