Standin´pop-up teardrop idea.

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby leaded » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:50 pm

mezmo: At an exterior height of 2,10m (83") with the roof closed on the Alto (yes,i´ve found it before and checked it..) the "point" with low height onroad, is gone... Its to high! At least for my opinion, its nearly as popup roof is not needed........but thanks for the link anyway! The rear side arrangement is interesting, but to follow my exterior, built for style and use, its gonna take to much of the interior.

Thanks for your comment, great that you like it. absolutsnwbrdr

Got a lot of squares of fiberglass used for outer skin on big rig trailers in store now, so materiallist is less...
8)
"if your car need more than 2 hubcaps, it ain´t cool!"
leaded
Teardrop Builder

Postby crumbruiser » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:30 pm

I like the idea and I hope you get to finish it.
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

RE: Lift Roof Height

Postby mezmo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi leaded,

I wasn't keying on copying the ALto, or the height of the roof on the Alto,
but rather the material it was made of - the honeycomb composite. Since
you expressed concern about the possible weight of the lift roof on your
design, the use of the honeycomb composite panel in a similar shape to
your roof design seemed like something that may be a possibility for you
to look into.

Maybe you could also investigate making some kind of light weight
structural matrix and foam, or maybe just use foam itself, and skinning it
with whatever -aluminum - fiberglass reinforced plastic - thin plywood -
fiberglass & resin - etc..

I'm sure you're looking into all possibilities you can think of for a
solution. I just thought I'd throw these out into the mix for evaluation
as a possible way to go.

It'll be interesting to see your final solution!

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby leaded » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:43 am

re:mezmo I understand. Well intend to use some of the skills at the trailer production in near. They use the fiberglass out/inside with some stiff sprayed foamed stuff between. (as a composit fiberglass boat.) Its quite strong,and light.... even if their wall thickness is 2-2.5 times more than i want. Discussed it with them, and their gonna help produce the flat sides if in need. The curved is not possible to do in the production line...but have some friends employed there, and it could be possible we do some "special" working time outside production... :) I´m gonna check up different solutions, before starting. Heavyweight lifters are possible to get,also electrical actuators, so this is gonna get possibility's ! 8)
Fiberglass seems to be the best/easiest solution. The joints are strong,and could keep up some twists without break, not changing in weatherchanges as natural wood...and are shure watertight to inside. Easy to work with, and to get strenght without using big/heavy framework. (bake in alu/wood/paper boxmaterial,strucular plastic,etc.)

Production tip are great anyway! Thanks , and keep it coming....
leaded
Teardrop Builder

RE: Plan of Action

Postby mezmo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi leaded,

It sounds like you've got a good plan of action going now with the
fiberglass and foam method. If they make a mold for the roof be sure
to keep it for future production! Ha! Once people see your creation
you'll be pestered by requests to make one for them. It might become a
profitable side line for you!

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi Leaded
I like your design. Reminds me of the Alto that Mike played with a couple yrs back. The biggest problem will be the side walls and I'm looking forward to see how you solve it. Canvass would be the easy way out.
What ever you come up with it looks like it will be beautiful

Gary

Here's a link to the alto

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... light=alto
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Wow, that's a real memory jogger Gary! I must have had lots of time to design in those days. Doesn't seem to be as much time right now...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:11 am

That was a slow time for me I guess and you too. We were working on the finsih design of my new trailer plus that one on the side and the optimum winter warrior to if I remember right.

Gary

Ps sorry for highjacking the thread for a moment Leaded keep up the good work.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby crumbruiser » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:36 pm

:) I just read through that design and I have to say thats it is terrific. Mike, you are truly gifted! :thumbsup: I would like to say thank you for helping those you know and those you don't know in designing and building these cool TTs.
Frank
ps; I'll be using your ideas in my build if I ever make up my mind on what to build. :roll:
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby leaded » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:32 pm

mezmo: Once people see your creation
you'll be pestered by requests to make one for them. It might become a
profitable side line for you!

Ha.....well perhaps...but trouble is time

and as RAYVILLIAN notified about Mikes Alto design, theres a lot of similaritis, and Mike, you did give me some tip there! Havent seen that tread before, and glad we did now!

RAYVILLIAN wondered on my solutions on sidewalls.
, there seems to be some discussion about the sidewalls (hatch?) splaying by the Alto tread, ...The sidewalls are there only to shut the sides, and dont need to hold anything, so dont need much of strength, only to keeped it "locked" against lower sides.My plan gonna be fixed by using an extra outside profile around the downside., as a trimpiece going around nearby the edge of the hatch sidewalls.
I plan to make the front (lower) part wider as rest, so hatch sidewalls are sliding to similar size as front lower part. Not on outside as on the Alto idea. Then its possible for wind to catch it and to get splaying, and easier for water to come in under travel.Also possible that some trimparts could be fastned from the front part, and top hatchsides slides inside of theese to lock it from splaying in the travelling wind.
ImageImage
leaded
Teardrop Builder

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:46 pm

Leaded I see what you are doing with the outside lip when the top is down. I built both the Winter Warrior and the new Road Warrior that way. I was wondering what your plans were for filling in the open space on the sides when the top is up.

Actually on both of my trailers the hatch is supported by the back wall both with the top up and with it down. I built the outside wall lips to keep the rain out when traveling as you are. I think it gives it a smoother look also wich would be good with the custom car look that you are doing. Starleen2's ladybug is the only one built without the outside wall lips.

Here is the link to my second trailer

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... er+warrior

Once again I'm excited about what you are doing and looking forward to watching it develop. :applause:

Gary
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby leaded » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:32 pm

Well..for the first "wondering", most of the sidewalls on the hatch would cover some inches on top of the lower part, only not would be triangled part at the rear sides. Plan was using only fabric, but perhaps some clear fiberglas plate would be used.......if they´re not interfering to much on the interior.
The rear on the Tear would be as yours/ as on the Kampmaster.. a "trihinged" wall w/door who folds inside when closing. I also would belive this are supporting the hatch good enough at the rear for sideways motion. When open the tophatch sidewalls are tried to be made a little "tight" pressing softly against the lower part. And here´s gonna be some kind of gasket material to not scratch sides and keep weather/coldness outside...
One point of idea with the sidewalls kept smooth when closed, and "stepped" when open, is extra support when down, and another gasket on the edge keeps more water out......Also will the doubled front sidewall on lower part give more overall strength.

Thanks for the interest, and considerations for the build!!

Theese days its just rain &rain, and some windy now, and the last metalworking (fendershirts) on the car are done, hopefully theese get paint in a couple of days. In waitin time for the filler to dry out, i also build a model on the Tear to my RC car (of course a copy on my own car..)So garage is full........yet! Regards!Image
leaded
Teardrop Builder

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:57 pm

Sounds like you have it all planned out. Can't wait to watch you build her.

Gary
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

RE: Progress Bump

Postby mezmo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi leaded,

Just wondering how the 'progress'on the build is progressing.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mezmo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:27 am

Hi leaded,

Just curious on how your build progress is going. Such an interesting
design, you know!

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo