Vardo Design...

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Vardo Design...

Postby pebo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:37 pm

This is a Vardo design I am working on, based on the Reading style of Vardo.

Image[/url]
pebo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:42 pm

I wonder if it would look good if you would curve the front bay window to make it a little better in the air stream? Kinda like what Arne did to his second teardrop.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby crumbruiser » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:57 pm

I really like the upper windows. Those should provide a nice current of air.
Frank 8)
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby pebo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:59 am

I wonder if it would look good if you would curve the front bay window to make it a little better in the air stream? Kinda like what Arne did to his second teardrop.

Hey Mike, I am not sure what Arne did, I will have to take a look. but in this case the bay window is on the back of the trailer. Ever since I started kicking around the Vardo idea I have been concerned about how it would handle the wind. My first attempt looked a lot more like an actual Vardo but I just didn't think it was a good design to try hauling down the highway. I have a really crazy idea that I am tossing around to try and make the front of this trailer take the wind better.

I really like the upper windows. Those should provide a nice current of air.

Frank, I have the feeling those windows are going to be extra work but hopefully worth it. If you look through the upper windows or the back bay window you can see the cut out for a vent fan. I am hoping to come up with a way to make the two side windows on the bay window open as well. So with the side window the bay windows and the 4 clerestory windows I am hoping there will be a really nice air flow.
pebo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:18 am

pebo wrote:Ever since I started kicking around the Vardo idea I have been concerned about how it would handle the wind. My first attempt looked a lot more like an actual Vardo but I just didn't think it was a good design to try hauling down the highway. I have a really crazy idea that I am tossing around to try and make the front of this trailer take the wind better.

Here's a random thought. This may be what you're thinking, but what if you made a movable curved section that matched the profile of the roof.

In the "down" position, it would be vertical (placed in front of your door) with the curve facing out toward the tow vehicle. The thinking here is that the curve would help direct air around the "box" of the front end.

In the "up" or camping position, it would be placed horizontal, parallel with the fixed roofline, perhaps located above or below the roof. This would provided a covered porch effect for your entry door.

My two cents worth.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby pebo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:14 pm

Here's a random thought. This may be what you're thinking, but what if you made a movable curved section that matched the profile of the roof.

In the "down" position, it would be vertical (placed in front of your door) with the curve facing out toward the tow vehicle. The thinking here is that the curve would help direct air around the "box" of the front end.

In the "up" or camping position, it would be placed horizontal, parallel with the fixed roofline, perhaps located above or below the roof. This would provided a covered porch effect for your entry door.

My two cents worth.

Tom, you hit the nail on the proverbial head, I had thought of the deck and the awning both folding.

The Deck in the down position

The Deck in the travel position, which makes for even more turbulence.

The Awning in the up position, Susan is about 5'6" which shows you the Trailer is shorter than it appears on the outside. But with the dropped floor and the Mollicroft (Trolley Top) it is well over 6' inside as is the awning.

Both the Deck and the Awning in the travel position. Now the question; is all the extra work going to be worth it? Cool, Yes, Gas saving, hard to know.

The other trick is making the awning strong enough to stay together and light enough that it can be easily lifted. The first thing that comes to mind is fiberglass and the second is an aluminum frame with a stretched skin of some kind, similar to what the awning guys make for over a business entrance.

Thanks, for checking it out,
Peter
pebo
Teardrop Inspector

Some Inside shots...

Postby pebo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Looking down from the top...

The Refrigerator and Porta Potti side...

The sink side...

From the front looking back...
pebo
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Member Designs