Our Little Guy Renovation

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Our Little Guy Renovation

Postby eveningprimrose » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:18 pm

I wasn't really sure what category to post this in, so feel free to move it, if you need to.

We got our 2009 Little Guy 5-Wide, a little over 2-years ago. It was a gift from my daughter...combination Mother's Day/Birthday present to me. It's probably the best present I've ever received, in my life! We love our Little Guy, but there were some things we wanted to do, to personalize it...make it "our own", since we didn't build our own.

The only thing that we absolutely didn't like about the Little Guy, was the open space in the kitchen/galley. In front of the counter top, there was an empty space, and you could see the foot of the bed. Not only did I not like being able to see the foot of the bed, light bugs flew in there at night, when we had the kitchen lamp turned on. So, my husband built a "footboard" for the bed, and added cubby holes for storage. That completely hides the foot of the bed and closes off that area, so bugs can't fly in, now. The extra storage is great, too. He's going to build a lid for it (eventually), so that you can't see down inside the cubby holes. But, for now, we love it!

I decided on a Campbell's Soup Theme, since I've always collected Campbell's Soup things and I had plenty of those. I ordered Campbell's Soup knobs for the cabinet doors, off of ebay. I wanted to preserve the original cabinet doors, so we took them off and stored them, and my husband built fake doors. I painted them with black chalkboard paint and made them look like chalkboard menus. We do not use those doors for kitchen storage, so they are never opened. The same cabinet goes inside the bed area, so we just use them on the bed side. I bought decorative, stacking boxes for silverware and gadgets, and I found a little wooden cabinet to put in there. I put a "runner" rug on the counter top, to protect it, and to add some color.

We wanted to add a flat-screen TV/DVD player to the bed area. So, once again, we removed the center cabinet door and stored it. He made a fake door and we drilled holes and mounted the TV/DVD player to the center door...drilled a hole so the cord would run into and plug inside the cabinet. We actually take the TV off and lay it on the mattress/pillows, while traveling.

Even after the footboard/storage was added, there were still a couple of extra inches of space, between the mattress and the wall. So, we decided to build a headboard. My husband built it and I covered it with anaglypta paintable wallpaper, and painted it. There is a lot of storage on top, and behind the pillows. He also made cubbies beside the mattress, for books & magazines. Those flowers are gone, now. They did nothing but get in the way. LOL And for those who may notice that those are candle votives, I use flameless candles in them (no dangerous flames). Those two pictures are attached to the cabinet doors, on each side of the TV (as you can see in the picture above).

That's about it, for now. We built a little picket fence for the tailgate, and put solar-powered garden lights in there...and flowers. But, from taking it down so much for travel, it is not very durable so we're working on another plan for that.
Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.
eveningprimrose
Teardrop Master

Postby iplay10us2 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Nice job!
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby eveningprimrose » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Thanks, Susann!
Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.
eveningprimrose
Teardrop Master

Postby nevadatear » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:17 pm

so I guess if you ever sell, I will have to buy it for my daughter, since her name is Campbell! (yes, her first name). :o Except her husband is a city boy and so she doesn't camp anymore. :(
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Return to Member Designs