Ideas that aren't gonna be built

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Ideas that aren't gonna be built

Postby mwatters » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:59 pm

I did a LOT of drawings for various little trailers before I ended up buying an old enclosed bike hauler which I'm gonna convert.

Here's one of them:

This was called the MiniCamp. It's just simple line drawings, but I tried to label things. To explain it: It was meant to be built on a 4x8 trailer. The body extended out over the wheels to gain a little extra room, but the bed (located in the rear) was sideways facing. The additional leg room was picked up by having a fold-down door covered with tenting (like a hybrid camper). The inside part of the bed doubled as a forward facing couch. A drop floor was located immediatly in front of the bed (where the door was). The front of the trailer housed a wall-to-wall floor-to-ceiling storage unit. The wall opposite the door had a fold up table. Bring the table up to eat, drop it down while sleeping.

Last edited by mwatters on Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby mwatters » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:02 pm

Here's the little bike hauler:

Built again on a 4x8, not extended past wheels. Road-side had a fold-up couch/bed. Opposite that on the curb-side was a fold-up table/desk. Front end up trailer used for storage (fridge, shelves, porta-pot etc).

Note the profile...
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby mwatters » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:07 pm

Here's the little bike hauler I picked up.

Pretty close match to the profile I drew over a year ago - even out to the little lip over the rear door. Cool.

Won't be as spiffy looking without the woody exterior I had been thinking of, but the fiberglass will paint up nice.

I'll also miss the nice curved dutch-door idea.
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby Cruiser » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:30 pm

Is that a high point trailer? If so they are great little trailers. One of my dirt bike riding buds had one, 14" with bunkbeds and a shower/potty combo from the factory. I would have snatched it up when he sold it but they are salty!
Good luck with it,
Steve C
Cruiser
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mwatters » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:51 pm

I sure as heck thought it was a Hi-Point trailer. Saw one on Ebay a few months ago and this looked a lot like it - but the name on the Title was "PlayPro" (I'm getting nothin' on Google with that). I suppose PP was a model name and it found its way onto the title by mistake.

This one has a steel tubing frame lending support to the fiberglass exterior. Nothing in the interior - just an empty trailer. First thing I've got to do is start ripping the carpet off the wall (it's not original). The carpet is dark and assorted colors. Ugh. I'm thinking of gluing up foam insulation with luan plywood over that. No stain (just poly) to make the interior as light as possible.

Gonna give the interior layout some thought before deciding how to handle it. I like the idea of a futon-like couch/bed that can also fold-up against the wall in the back with storage across the front. Not sure if I want to use the whole front for storage or if I want to do the front similar to the Glen-L Sequoia, which I like a lot.

Final thoughts about the layout is gonna have to wait till I've got a chance to roll bikes into it and see just where and how much space I've got for things though. Might be making ample use of overhead cabinets - if there's room. Chances are though that the front 2' or so is gonna be my only truely open available space.
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Return to Member Designs