Ideas for small light off road ttt

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Ideas for small light off road ttt

Postby 16ga » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:22 pm

Hello all,
First let me say that I love this site and spend way too much time on here viewing builds and designs, it has become somewhat of an obsession. I have decided to build a ttt. It will be 4x8 I know many recommend 5 foot but i want it to be small and light as well as cheap. It will be small enough to tow behind my ATV (hence 4x8). The smaller design will make it easier to store as well. I will likely build the trailer myself as I have done it before, and my father in law is an excellent welder. I think I'l go with 1 /2 in square tubing or maybe C channels. If I can find a cheap trailer already built so much the better but right now I'm looking for a cheap axle or cheap trailer o modify.

I will probably be going with a design of my own. I like the benroys etc but I think that design more like the "simple" or a modified weekender or hopper etc would be good. I doubt I'd use a galley much, so I was considering a "hatchless" design but it would be nice or storage. At any rate I think it will be pretty square.

I cannot decide on walls, part of me says go with 1/2 or 5/8 plywood since its the easiest. I want it to be light though so maybe 1/4 ply with insulation and 1/8 paneling. It seems to me that this would be the lightest. I don't know.... It would be nice to have it insulated since I'll be using in the fall for hunting. But is it worth the hassle and expense? How much difference do people find heating an insulated versus an uninsulated ttt?

As few other features i'm thinking are a build in gun/fishing rod holder running the width of the trailer. It will also have reading lights as I am a big reader. I think I'll scrounge old camper windows or windows off of an old truck cap. I want to do this as cheap as possible, partly because I don;t have a lot of money and party because I love scrounging junk.

I know I'm all over the place but I want to get my ideas out there and ask for more ideas. How would you make a cheap, light, and simple to build ttt?

Thanks
16ga
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jss06 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:16 am

Check out the foamy section. Insulated and super light.

Since you do not want a galley it would be pretty easy to build.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby 16ga » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:42 am

Thanks for the reply. I considered a "foamie" but it seems a bit flimsy, I don't know about making a off-road trailer out of foam and glue. I think I want to go lightweight but stick with wood and steel or aluminum.
16ga
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hugh » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:11 am

Make the frame from the lightest square tubing you can find, use 1/4" plywood for skinning it, if you want any type of insulation consider those closed cell foam sleeping pads. I made a hardtop for my Jeep CJ5 I used to own and glued that foam to the inside and it held the heat quite nicely. One thing to remember most plywood from big box stores usually is still a bit wet, so paint doesn,t always work so well right away.
hugh
Teardrop Master

Return to Member Designs