Lurking...gotta have one!

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Lurking...gotta have one!

Postby dacrazyrn » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:13 am

So, I have been lurking around here for the last 2 weeks. Wanted a trailer and came across this site (EXCELLENT...Info and all!!). Started looking at all the different designs and possiblities.
Put pencil to paper (gotta love mechanical drawing) and drew up one that I would love to do that has a profile similar to my 2004 F150. Started thinking more on it and thought, maybe when I build my second. So...
Saw the 2006 Camp Inn Teardrop and started drawing up what I had in my head related to it. Been reading through all the forums (Only on page 8 of the Construction) and more ideas.
I am an ER RN (for money), amateur photographer for fun, hiker, backpacker, hunter and fisherman. One of these will go well with all that.
I hope to start on this on the weekend. Looking to get the Super Heavy Duty HF 4x8' trailer to start and do a little modifying and reinforcement. I want this to be an off roader also.
Thought I would say Hi and let you know I will be around to get all the sage advice that I can. Thanks to all for what is here!! :applause:
I have uploaded shots of my plan and a 1/6th scle I mocked up in cardboard.
Tracy
Last edited by dacrazyrn on Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:58 am

Tracy,

Welcome to the board. That's a great looking design :thumbsup: and might be a bit of a challange to build. Hope you have some building skills to ease the process. Just my opinion, but you may want to reconsider the HF trailer if you are planning an off road teardrop. You could have one built to your specs for not that much more money and get a better suited frame. If you need advice on what you really need for a frame the folks here will help you on that one.

Again Welcome and the above is just my opinion!

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:11 am

...Welcome to this band of sometime lunatics, gypsies and TD builders Your initial mockup looks good, that is defineitely the way togo(mockup first)...let me add double dittoes to what Kerry said about the HF trailer...it is OK but a little weak for any serious off road usage...small tires and all. I would suggest having a trailer built with an axle that you can easily put larger wheels on. There is a ton of advice on the board and a lotta experience too boot....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby dacrazyrn » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:19 am

Kerry,
Hello and thanks. I plan on doing some welding to it. I have the skill but it has been a long time since I have put stick to steel. I am a Jack of All Trades and Master of None. :D Been in farming (many things to fix), plumbing, construction and landscaping, so I have a little knowledge of how to do things.
A challenge to build? I thought that I was making it easier on myself, instead of the 1/2 size F150.
From all my reading, I can tell that I know that I am in the right place to do this thing and get answers.
Besides thinking these are damn cool and wanting one...I am needing to build something. My yard is finished (landscaping, gazebo, shed, etc.) and I have other things that I am thinking I should do to it, but it is good now. This will give me a new obsession (from my reading, IT IS THAT!) and be able to get out the POWER TOOLS, more.
I didi look into a fabbed one and a little out of budget for me at this time (dammit), but a borrowed welder and some time will most likely fix this.
Thanks for the input!! :thumbsup:
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby dacrazyrn » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:24 am

Madjack,
thanks for the extra
I think I DO have to go with the HF, but think I can get a decent OffRoader with it. The axle is something I have looked at seriously...I do have a Red Trailer about 40 miles from here that I could change out axles with, if I figure it won't work well with the pre-fab.
I'll keep my fingers crossed and see how long it takes to get me my welding prowess back.

thanks
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:33 am

...Tracy, think about this, the HD HF trailer will cost you near 300 bucks, for 500(about) you can build your own including axle and get the the hubs to match your truck and even brakes if ya want 'em...how much more are you gonna end up spending to modify that HF frame...upgrade hubs/wheels, ect. It won't take much and your up to where ya coulda built it yourself to begin with....just a thought
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby dacrazyrn » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:36 am

thanks...will mull it over the next few nights. when I have a half second at work.
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveH » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:09 am

Tracy,

I agree with MadJack about the trailer frame. The HF trailers are nice because you can get them cheap and fast, but for off road? I shure wouldn't do it. You will probably end up changing the suspension, axel, hubs, and wheels and tires, not to mention the reinforcement you are considering.

Oh, and welcome to the board and the obsession. :?
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Stephen G. » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:12 am

Tractor Supply has some decent looking 4x8 trailers for $279 I think? It has a Dexter leafspring axle with 5on 4.5 bolt lug pattern giving you a wider choice of wheels and tire sizes.
Stephen G.
Teardrop Master

Join the Crazies

Postby Guy » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:58 pm

Welcome Tracy,

If you really want to know how crazy you can get here, think about this one. I am in the hospital for some more heart tests and I stop by the library get on the internet to check postings . Now I am welcoming you, before I go up for an angiogram.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Join the Crazies

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:17 pm

Guy wrote:Welcome Tracy,

If you really want to know how crazy you can get here, think about this one. I am in the hospital for some more heart tests and I stop by the library get on the internet to check postings . Now I am welcoming you, before I go up for an angiogram.

Get back up to your room, the nurses are looking for you, AGAIN :EXP :EXP :EXP
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

All started up!!

Postby dacrazyrn » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:19 am

So I decided to go ahead and get the 1800# Super Heavy Duty HF trailer. The guys I called around here to get quotes from were WAY High!!
So day one (or half of day one) I got her bolted together, squared up and modifications I am looking at checked.
Day 2 involved the frame and "asphalting" the bottom of the floor (insulated).
Day 3 is going to consist of doing some welding on her (gotta rent one for this-hope I can Gitter done in 4 hours). This is going to be to most of the bolted joints, maybe a trailer jack, and adding some undercarriage skid plates (haven't decided that one yet.
I am also on the look out for some 14 in wheels and rims to put on it. And still hacking the numbers at this time to see if I can move the axle a little more rearward and not overload the tongue. I am mainly thinking this is possible since I am going to have a 7 gal. water tank and the fridge in the galley area (that being a considerable amount of weight-I like beer!!)
2 new photos up.
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby cracker39 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:17 pm

Since you can weld, if you haven't bought yet, please reconsider. I will build a 5'x9' chassis and have priced materials at about $135 plus the coupler. That includes 1/4" 2" tubeular for the tongue as they didn't have 3/16". The rest is 1/8" 2" tube for sides and 3 cross members, and 2 1"x2"x1/8" angle for additional floor supports. Adding a torsion axle and a pair of 14" tires/wheels, and it still costs around $500. My son-in-law is a welder and we'll do the work assembling it. Yep, having one built by a professional fabricator is expensive.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:20 pm

Duh!!! I didn't read far enough...I see you've already started. I have an old 4x8 bolt together utility from either HF or NT. It came with 8" wheels. I have carried lots of heavy loads with it with no problems. I did change the tires to 560s for more weight support.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Update on the BullNose

Postby dacrazyrn » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:12 pm

Been working all my days off on this thing. Dry fitted the walls today, added some bracing. Now I am trying to decide if I want to cut out the doors prior to skinning (while I still can work it flat) or what till it is skinned ( or smooth Durabak'd covering). ANy input here on what is easier or more prudent when doing the doors?
Plan on getting the walls completely done and everything trimmed off tomorrow. Still need to move the wheel back. Gonna move it and put a 14 or 15" rim and tire on it. Just doesn't look right at this time where it is at. (see profile and pics). Also placing more braces for the front bullnose area.
Electrical is going to be run through the ceiling through Romex (tubes) for vent fan and lighting. Haven't totally decided on 120v yet or not.
The roof is going to be 1/2 ply braced on 3/4 x 1 1/2 douglas fir I cut (except the braces where the vent is- 1 1/2 x 1 1/2). What else? hmmmm....bulkhead cabinets...
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Member Designs