Pop-Up Tent Top TT

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Pop-Up Tent Top TT

Postby TJinPgh » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:45 pm

So, I've been looking over some of the various designs. I wanted to come up with something light weight, but still had decent space for at least 2 people.

I had seen the build that backwoods guy did, with his tent top on this box...

Looked like it had a lot of storage space. Cool design but still not quite what I was going for in terms of the tent design.

So, I started looking around the net and came across the Maggiolina Roof Top Tents...

Liked this idea a lot. Wasn't crazy about the cost of the unit, though, and started pondering if one could build a similar system.

So, here is what I've been kicking around. This is the first time I've used Google Sketchup so please forgive the crudeness of the diagrams.

I don't have a name for it yet, but, generically, it's a 3+ person tent top pop-up with a small area big enough to stand up in. Built on a typical 4x8 trailer.

Trailer in collapsed, road form...

Trailer Box from the rear without the roof or tent... small extension unfolds to form a 6.5'x6' sleeping area. Should be big enough to house 3 people without being too cramped sleeping sideways...

These images are with the tent fabric attached. I figure to use marine grade vinyl. I didn't show any wheels or doors in any of these images...

Front Right Side...

Rear Right Side...

Rear Left Side...

Those are all the sketches I have so far. I think you get the basic idea.

A small 2x4 area in the rear that's high enough to stand in (if you're under 6', anyway). Could be lengthened to 3x4 if I chose to extend the box beyond the trailer frame, I suppose.

The box itself is constructed with 1/2" plywood for the outer walls and sleeping platform. Probably 1/4" for any interior dividers.

Still haven't quite decided on the roof yet, but leaning toward 1/4" plywood or perhaps 1/8" around a 2x2 frame, depending on which is lighter?

Compartments under the bed for storage... accessible via a doors on the front and in the standing area.

I figure to do a non-stitch work-up on the tent. Overlapping corners with velcro. Snaps attaching it inside the roof and to the sides.

No hard framed door on the upper part of the access point in the rear. I'll do some sort of tent style door... overlapping with velcro that I can just roll up if I wish to get it out of the way.

I also haven't quite figured out what to support the roof with. The roof will probably be lifted by hand (should be doable with 2 people) so I don't think it needs to be anything elaborate. Maybe just some poles in the corners?

Anyway. Thoughts would be appreciated.

-TJ
Last edited by TJinPgh on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby adam25 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:02 pm

I've been looking at building a small tent tip trailer too. Here is a link to my original idea http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=46056

I see one part of your idea that looks like it might be easier to change

why not just make that whole side of the camper fold out. It would be easier to put together the tent and you would get a little more room inside, a small place to sit down and someplace to put things next to the bed.

I've also been working on another idea similar to what you have.
I was thinking to make the bed the same size as the bunk off a regualr popup and just recycle or buy new canvas to use. Replacement canvas for one end of a popup can be found for around $350. And using that method, there will already be windows and screens built in.
adam25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TJinPgh » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Adam,

I hadn't thought much about it but I can see where that might have it's advantages.

Didn't have time to adjust the rest of them but I did do a quick mockup on the box itself...

So, for the cost of a little more vinyl and maybe another 5 pounds I'd get another seat.

I like the diagram you posted on yours as well. I'll check out the other thread you posted to. Would like to read more about it.

I thought about leaving the whole box area open to maybe put in a table or something like on yours. In the end, I wanted the storage space that the closed box provide.

I'll be curious to see how yours turns out, though.

I don't even have a trailer yet so I'm not really all that close to a build.

Although, it occurred to me earlier that, since it would be done on a standard 4x8 frame I could actually go ahead and build the box and simply mount it on the frame when I get one.

-TJ
Last edited by TJinPgh on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Went ahead and tweaked those others...

Last edited by TJinPgh on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby schaney » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:14 pm

TJ, here is an approach that should lighten things up and simplify the roof. Just have the roof hinge up at a 90 degree angle with a fabric roof.

Image Image

Another option is a Safari Style folding Tent Unit, there is a family size model available that opens up to 6' wide x 8' long. They are much more budget friendly than the Maggiolina units.

Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Scott,

Thanks for the reply.

The first two pics you posted didn't show up. Can you check the links? I'd like to see the type of roof you were referring to in the first part of the post.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby adam25 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:52 pm

TJinPgh, right click on the the icons and you can see the URL for the pics Scott posted. They are of a trailer similar to your idea that the roof opens 90º to form one side of the tent.

Looking at your pics again, you may want to add a small vertical wall at the foot end of your bed
If you do a straight wall from the roof to the bed, you will loose out on usable length on the bed as it will become too narrow at the end. Plus any part of your bedding touching the tent will get wet if it rains.
adam25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TJinPgh » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:07 pm

Scott,

I went to your website and saw the trailer you were linking to... the Camprite.

Not sure why the pic didn't come through, but, anyway. That would certainly be another way to go about it and might resolve the question of how to life the roof.

That said, I'm not sure it would necessarily be any lighter. The only thing yo'd really be eliminating with that setup is one vinyl wall, but you'd be exchanging it for a greater vinyl roofline.

Given that I'm trying to avoid as much stitching as possible (one because I don't have a good quality sewing machine to do it and two because seam stitching promotes leaks), I'm not sure that design would be better or not.

Definitely a way to go, though.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:14 pm

adam25 wrote:Looking at your pics again, you may want to add a small vertical wall at the foot end of your bed

If you do a straight wall from the roof to the bed, you will loose out on usable length on the bed as it will become too narrow at the end. Plus any part of your bedding touching the tent will get wet if it rains.

Adam,
I thought about that initially. That would obviously require a prop to hold that upper corner up in place. I'd also need to give some thought as to whether or not I could simply velcro the side panels in place with that.

As for the bedding, it's certainly a consideration I hadn't considered. I know that has been a problem in the tents I've used in the past.

I know that could be a problem with nylon or canvas... the wicking effect. I'm curous, though, if that would be a big concern with marine vinyl? Isn't that, effectively, a solid surface?

I know that certainly seemed to be the case with the vinyl I purchased to re-cover my motorcycle seat.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby schaney » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:38 am

Not sure what is up with the pictures, they are displaying for me :thinking:

Weight saving would depend on how you plan on supporting the roof.

IMHO seams are nothing to be concerned about, just use a little seam sealer. Wicking is not an issue if the correct fabric is choosen. With tents the challenge is balancing rain performance and breathability. A vinyl coated fabric is close to rain-proof, but because it doesn't breath will form condensation in certain weather conditions. A cotton army duck canvas is very rain resistant and because it is breathable is good at controlling condensation. There are a number of fabrics suitable for tent, visit Seattle Fabric to see many of them. Like everything in life, it's about what trade-offs make sense for you.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:26 pm

schaney wrote:
IMHO seams are nothing to be concerned about, just use a little seam sealer.

True. Though, it still needs to be re-applied.

Point is well taken, though.

Wicking is not an issue if the correct fabric is choosen. With tents the challenge is balancing rain performance and breathability. A vinyl coated fabric is close to rain-proof, but because it doesn't breath will form condensation in certain weather conditions. A cotton army duck canvas is very rain resistant and because it is breathable is good at controlling condensation. There are a number of fabrics suitable for tent, visit Seattle Fabric to see many of them. Like everything in life, it's about what trade-offs make sense for you.

True enough. Canvas would be good but sourcing it in pieces that are big enough to not have seams seems to be difficult at a reasonable price.

I'd considered the issue with condensation with the vinyl. While I didn't show them in the images I posted, I do intend to have a couple of windows in the unit so I had figured that those would help resolve that issue?

Last edited by TJinPgh on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby jstrubberg » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:51 pm

Your design reminds me of one of the most efffective small campers I've ever used. A friend owned one that had two fold outs on it, a bunk for each side. One side of the trailer had an extra half an inch built into the hinge so that both folded down flat on top of the main box when travelling.

You unfolded the two bunks and attached two "legs" to the bottom of each bunk, then stepped under the canvas and pushed a triangle-shaped frame on either end upright. Then you insterted a center ridge pole between the top of the triangles. After that all you had to do was step outside and pull on a drawstring that tighened the canvas around the outer edge of each bunk. There was a flip up table at the front end between the bunks. We cooked on that, ran a small Mr Heater on the floor below the table, and had two full size bunks with standing room for dressing and plenty of floor space for boots and whatnot.

The whole rig couldn't have weighed 500 lbs and was very easy to tow. You might think about two fold outs and a full canvas top. Seems like it would be much less complicated than an assymetric design with a hardtop.

Here are some pictures of a very similar rig that Sears used to sell. The only difference is the one I used had a much simpler frame to raise the tent.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... =3&t=25729
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:26 pm

Yeah,
I've seen those. Or, ones similar to it, anyway.

In the grand scheme of things there's no difference in the function of a unit with 2 fold-outs vs. 1. Most of the tent top boxes seem to be based on a single fold-out.

While at the Pittsburgh RV show a week ago, they had one of these on display...

Quantum Leap Activity Support Vehicle QL-78

Very tempting at under $4k. Still, an awful lot of fabric there to leak. And, I didn't want nylon.

Here were my thoughts in why I did it the way I did.

1) Weight. 2 fold-outs would weigh more and given that my tow capacity is 1000 pounds, minus cargo, every ounce counts.

2) I opted to go with the solid roof vs. all fabric because I wanted to minimize the amount of horizontal exposure the fabric would receive. Less chance of leaks.

3) I believe the solid roof would be quicker to erect than the all fabric setup.

4) I don't think I could do a unit that is a full fabric tent without sewing it. I'm trying to avoid stitched seams.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Return to Member Designs