Modified Benroy Design - Comments Please

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Modified Benroy Design - Comments Please

Postby goteeguy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:25 am

Hi Everyone,

This will be my first build, and would welcome (please!!!) some input / comments / advice on my design. I've already got my trailer frame (salvaged pop-up) ready to go, and would really like to make sawdust this weekend. My only hesitation is this: I'm not certain of the weight distribution front to rear.

The trailer measures 8'0" x 5'6" with the axel located dead centre at 4'0". It is 2" tube. I do not have the skills required to move the axel further back.

I started with a Benroy design, but needed to alter it in order to modify the interior rear shelf to work double-duty as a bed for my 5yr old daughter. It will have one 15" fixed shelf and one 15" removeable shelf (stored on top of the fixed shelf when not in use). Due to the real estate required in the cabin, I boxed off the lower 1/2 of the galley in order to push the upper bunk wall as far back as possible. The roof slope has also been modified (1.5" over 12") to allow for drainage, while also trying to maintain adequate headroom for my daughter while on her bunk.

The galley hatch will only be opening on the top 1/2 of the galley (skinned in 5.2mm Virola plywood). The rear wall on the bottom 1/2 of the galley will also be removable / repositionable to form additional counter space while in camp.

The remainder of the roof will be screened & tarpped.

The tongue of the trailer extends 35" from the front edge of the camper. I plan to store the spare trailer tire where a tongue box would be, until I eventually install a small window air conditioner at that location in the future.

I plan to build the floor & walls with 3/4" plywood. The shelves & bulkheads will also be 3/4" plywood, unless weight distribution is a factor (in which, case I will use 5/8" plywood instead).

Again, my only question at this point is: Is there too much weight located rear of the axel? If so, how could I compensate for this without modifying the overall design of this trailer?

If it helps, here's my design on paper:

Thanks in advance for any input on this design! It's really got my head spinning!!!!! :?
Ken
goteeguy
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Modified Benroy Design - Comments Please

Postby CarlLaFong » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Others with more knowledge will certainly chime in, but I think you may need to acquire or find someone with the skills to move the axle back. You will save yourself a great deal of grief later on. After you fill the galley with food, appliances, pot, pans, etc, you will have little or no tongue weight. A spare tire will do little to alleviate the problem. An A/C unit may help, but why not err on the side of safety and move the axle now? A welder won't charge you much. I suspect a hundred dollar bill will be enough. If you were near me, I'd do it for lunch and a cool one.
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
"As I wandered, alone, through the endless fields of corn, I could hear the crows. They seemed to mock me, calling out my name, over and over", said Cawe
CarlLaFong
500 Club

Return to Member Designs