Starleen2's build number 6?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:00 am

This is what I’m Thinking about building. It’s going to be 12 feet X 6 feet (camper space). This will be a departure from the TSC frames that I have used in the past. A custom frame is in the works to accommodate the build specs. I may have to move the axel a bit to the rear when the trailer is built. The height will be determined by my garage door height – it may (or may not) have a dropped floor depending on the garage situation and when I receive the trailer. I’m not too concerned about the weight – since the trailer will have 15” wheels and a 3500lb axel.

starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby aggie79 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:35 am

Scott,

I like your design! When's the build going to start? Let's see, if it is June now and with the pace that you build at I think you'll be finished by LCG.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: Starleen2's build number 6?

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:38 am

How tall is your garage door? I realize you are thinking drop floor. Is that part of your 6' of cabin?
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:57 am

StandUpGuy wrote:How tall is your garage door? I realize you are thinking drop floor. Is that part of your 6' of cabin?

The 6' is the width of the camper. The unknown part of the build is the height of the finished trailer frame. The interior of the cabin needs to finish out at 5' 2". I have learned that I do not need a full 6 feet for a standy - I can get by with the 5' 2" because the Mrs is 5 feet tall and it will be a standy for her! Once I get the frame - I can then determine what will be needed. The green lantern has 12"wheels and a 5' 2" interior and fit well inside the garage, but with the height of 15" tires, I'm having the option of a dropped floor built into the frame.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:06 am

OK that makes sense. Mine finished out at that max height as well to just squeeze into the garage.

Nice roomy trailer.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:21 am

Are you going to make the front bed a combo bed/table? That would be awesome!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby 2bits » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:08 am

If you are doing a custom frame, that means you can choose your axle and for more height you could get a torsion axle with with a higher start angle so the trailer will sit lower. This will make it easier to step into as well and give it a streamlined look. It would all depend on how low you wanted to tolerate as this can create drag-the-ground problems, but you can install casters at the rear to compensate too..

I am looking forward to seeing the progress!

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:58 pm

mikeschn wrote:Are you going to make the front bed a combo bed/table? That would be awesome!

Mike...

You mean like this:
I tried to make the table the size of the middle piece but getting in and out on the refrigerator side would be a bit tricky. :frightened: However, i do carry the two TV trays with us - so I'll use them instead = solves the problem :D
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby myoung » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Very nice. I'm guessing it will weigh 1,400 pounds or a bit less.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:09 pm

starleen2 wrote:
mikeschn wrote:Are you going to make the front bed a combo bed/table? That would be awesome!

Mike...

You mean like this:
I tried to make the table the size of the middle piece but getting in and out on the refrigerator side would be a bit tricky. :frightened: However, i do carry the two TV trays with us - so I'll use them instead = solves the problem :D

Yea, something like that.

The table shape is going to be a problem, with the fridge right there. The TV trays are a good compromise. Another option is to wack a large chamfer off the table where the fridge is.

Looking good though!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby High Desert » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Well I see I have another build thread to watch now. I'm looking forward to seeing another one of your trailers come to life Scott 8)
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:02 am

Looks great Scott. Ya gona have it done by LCG? Dumb question it's only June.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:04 pm

S what are you going to call this one?
Does not look radically different from the Green Lantern except the rounded rear.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:19 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:S what are you going to call this one?
Does not look radically different from the Green Lantern except the rounded rear.

there are a few differences - while the layout may look similar (works for us) it is 12 feet long vs the 10.5 feet (and A bit wider) from the Green Lantern. Also note that the wheels are outside of the camper - not underneath which is a departure from the previous builds. The curve on the front is flat to allow for a tongue box. I must say that it has all the elements of the previous builds in it but with a few additions to be announced later. At this point it is nameless :NC
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:56 pm

I understand, the changes in Compass Rose are not great outwardly mostly a refinement and from lessons learned. Names in my seldom humble opinion are important. I am always careful to pronounces some ones name correctly as it is theirs. So this one may earn one in the process of building.
Hope you all can make it up North this year.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Next

Return to Member Designs