The Big Blue Thing...

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

The Big Blue Thing...

Postby shil » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:25 pm

Eight years ago I built a teardrop trailer. It's worked just fine, no issues at all, but the last few years we've been using it less and less: I've become increasingly claustrophobic. I'll wake up several times a night in a mad panic and have to leap out and get some air. Not fun, for me or for my wife. I've got to come up with something bigger.

Here's what's been rolling around in my head the last couple of weeks.

The existing trailer is a 5' 4" x 10' teardrop with a queen-size mattress lengthwise between the wheels. The idea here is to twist the mattress sideways, across the trailer, above the wheels, which opens a lot of space up front. I'll (hopefully) no longer feel trapped in bed.

It's still ten feet long, now seven feet wide and six feet tall, sloping down to four feet tall in back. I have not yet worked out all the details of the galley but I'm thinking of having the hatch opening just down to the countertop, with cabinet doors below that, rather than a full size hatch.

The old tear had 3/4" ply walls with two layers of 1/4" ply and 1/2" of foam in the ceiling. I'm thinking I'll build Big Blue of 1/2" mdo throughout, hence all the flat surfaces and angles.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

shil
shil
Donating Member

Re: The Big Blue Thing...

Postby PaulC » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm thinking mod is one of those processed timbers. If so, rethink using it. They do not like moisture.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby PaulC » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:01 pm

Just did some research on mdo and found that it is okay to use. I guess I still have to get used to some of the terms you people use ;)
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby parnold » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:32 pm

It looks like you've got the start of a nice plan there. I know what you're saying about needing bigger. While I haven't had bouts of claustrophobia, a teardrop is certainly confining. I'm building a second trailer that is similar in dimensions to what you're considering. With something that size, you have lot's of options, and can certainly be more comfortable. I'm looking forward to watching your design mature and develop!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:34 am

Ive been camping about 10 weekends this year, have a few more planned. My mother was teasing me that Im enjoying the hell out of my lil vardo... how long till I build a bigger one lol? I do think about it...7x14 would be a nice size... don't need to be very big, enough room to standup, get dressed and be able to hold aporta potty.

deryk
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Return to Member Designs