Double Slide PIX ADDED

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Double Slide PIX ADDED

Postby CarlLaFong » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:33 pm

I have been here for some time, but have only posted my thoughts and substandard observations until now. I did post a picture of a scale model that I built of my proposed design. I have taken it to the next and, hopefully, final level.
Some explanation may be needed to clarify my, less than stellar, Sketchup prowess.
This will be built on an, approximately, 7X12 platform and have an interior height of 5 1/2 feet. The bed area slider will be 3 1/2 feet long.
The galley will also slide out and be 5 to 5 1/2 feet long. The extra 18 to 24 inch space will be used as a wardrobe. The wardrobe door is seen by the settee. The settee will be made from a castoff recliner. I'll strip it down to the guts and modify the mechanism to suit the trailer. There will be a removable table for indoor dining and card games, etc.
The area opposite the bed is the bathroom. It will have a cassette style toilet and probably a very small basin for hand washing. The shower pan, shown in front of the door will be normally covered. In the pix of the model that I built, it shows the bifold door that will open up to create a large shower area. I couldn't figure out how to draw it in Sketchup. There will be a circular shower curtain rod, about 36 inches in diameter to keep the water off of the floor and cabinets. There will be a water heater, probably in the bath cabinet. I plan on potable and gray tanks, no black tank.
I know this is a, rather, complicated build, but I do have the skill set and the tools and work space to pull it off. Here, at the Fongderosa, I have a fully equipped 1,000 sq. ft. shop with a woodworking side and a metal fabricating side. I am in the final stages of finishing a long and laborious motorcycle project, a 6 month deal that went over 4 years..................
I figure this to be a 1 year job, at the minimum. I have plenty of time, but limited funds. Right now, I'm looking for an old popup as a donor, but If one doesn't "popup", I may just build the chassis.
Pix are in my album. Feel free to comment, ask questions or mock my lack of sanity gallery/album.php?album_id=121
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
"As I wandered, alone, through the endless fields of corn, I could hear the crows. They seemed to mock me, calling out my name, over and over", said Cawe
CarlLaFong
500 Club

Re: Double Slide PIX ADDED

Postby crumbruiser » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:27 pm

You may be a bit crazy, but I think you to be a genious! :thumbsup:
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby CarlLaFong » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:02 pm

crumbruiser wrote:You may be a bit crazy, but I think you to be a genious! :thumbsup:
Frank
Ahhh, you've read my blog. There is a fine line that separates genius from insanity. I walk that line like a sailor on payday :?
"As I wandered, alone, through the endless fields of corn, I could hear the crows. They seemed to mock me, calling out my name, over and over", said Cawe
CarlLaFong
500 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:34 am

Man all you need now is a Pop-up second story, and a drop-down wine cellar.

Terry
Junkboy999
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jstrubberg » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:12 am

Hrm...

Maybe I am not following your pictures. Does the bed fold? Otherwise, it looks like you can't ever roll the slide closed. What is the space the galley takes up when the slide in is closed used for when the slide in is open? It doesn't look like it's available to the interior. If it's not usable space, you aren't gaining anything by mounting the galley on a slide.

Thsi is a much more complicated build than I will ever be able to attempt. Just trying to play devils advocate for you while it's all still paper.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby CarlLaFong » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:58 pm

Yes, the mattress will fold in half.
The space left when the galley is extended is dead space. If the galley were a conventional one with a hatch, the space wouldn't be there anyway, so it's no loss, no gain. The hatch is a sore spot with many builders. They are difficult to build, they spring back and they leak. They are heavy, especially as wide as mine will be, the gas struts loose their charge and have to be replaced. The one that I have designed will be, IMO, more user friendly. The canopy that will be on the side will cover the galley and make a dry, shaded cooking and dining area. I will be able to integrate a real bumper at the rear, without it banging your shins while cooking, there will be plenty of room for a spare tire, bike rack, etc. The slide mechanism will be a simple build using a few lengths of steel and some skateboard wheels. Sealing will be no harder than sealing an entry door. There will be some issues with plumbing, but these are not insurmountable
CarlLaFong
500 Club

Return to Member Designs