2 options update... removable hardtop vs soft top

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Re: removable hard top vs soft top

Postby myoung » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:46 pm

Chuckles wrote:Going with option #1.

Now, I am thinking about putting a removable section in the roof for a screened sun/moon roof. I have seen some that were done using canvas fastened with snaps (the X-2 I believe). I was thinking of putting a lip (say 3/4" tall) on the opening then making a hardtop that can be hinged on one side or removed in really warm weather. I would just move the fantastic fan back to just above the door and put a removable section between the upper storage cabinet and the door.

Has anyone used a hard top? I was thinking it would be easier to seal, especially when travelling. In my mind I was thinking it could be fastened down tight from inside the tear. Does anyone here have any experience with removable tops?

and no...thats not what I meant. :lol: you can remove your mind from the gutter now!

When I built my pop-up, a 4x8-foot hinged roof, I had expected to put rip-stop nylon and screening on three sides. Now that I've had the trailer for a few years, I have found no reason for enclosing the sides. During the day, I leave the top open fully or just partially depending upon wind or sunlight or the need for headroom while cooking. At night, I just lower the top with a push button and the seal around the edges is sufficient to keep out rain or wind. I don't think I'll ever bother with sides on the top. Just a nuisance and it would block the view to boot.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Re: removable hard top vs soft top

Postby Chuckles » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:49 pm

myoung wrote:
Chuckles wrote:Going with option #1.

Now, I am thinking about putting a removable section in the roof for a screened sun/moon roof. I have seen some that were done using canvas fastened with snaps (the X-2 I believe). I was thinking of putting a lip (say 3/4" tall) on the opening then making a hardtop that can be hinged on one side or removed in really warm weather. I would just move the fantastic fan back to just above the door and put a removable section between the upper storage cabinet and the door.

Has anyone used a hard top? I was thinking it would be easier to seal, especially when travelling. In my mind I was thinking it could be fastened down tight from inside the tear. Does anyone here have any experience with removable tops?

and no...thats not what I meant. :lol: you can remove your mind from the gutter now!

When I built my pop-up, a 4x8-foot hinged roof, I had expected to put rip-stop nylon and screening on three sides. Now that I've had the trailer for a few years, I have found no reason for enclosing the sides. During the day, I leave the top open fully or just partially depending upon wind or sunlight or the need for headroom while cooking. At night, I just lower the top with a push button and the seal around the edges is sufficient to keep out rain or wind. I don't think I'll ever bother with sides on the top. Just a nuisance and it would block the view to boot.

In the end I built a slouchy so there was no need for a pop-up section. Its still on the list of possibilities for teardrop #2 ;) I'm already forming plans in my head for a smaller teardrop for my son or daughter to use on camping trips. This will probably be more traditional in design except for a screened sun/moon roof.

Chuck
Chuckles
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Member Designs