Mimimalism

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby Arne » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:09 am

That lantern won't work. It's wrapped in plastic and can't get enough air to function correctly/g/

There is something basic about having a fire inside my tear that would bother me, anyway.

I would try to have the fire outside, with a simple metal conduit to the tear with a heat exchanger inside and a small 12v fan to move the air. temperature control would be a problem.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:52 pm

How about one of these cute little woodburners? You can't believe how small they are. I had to get in the picture so you could see. It can't be more than a foot high!!! TINY!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:59 pm

Watch out for that maniscus cartledge! It looks like you are doing deep knee bends. :lol:
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:08 pm

asianflava wrote:Watch out for that maniscus cartledge! It looks like you are doing deep knee bends. :lol:

Those aren't deep knee bends, he can't get up because of his back. :rofl:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:23 pm

bledsoe3 wrote:Those aren't deep knee bends, he can't get up because of his back. :rofl:

Even I got a chuckle out of that, even if it is my neck, not my back! :lol:

Some days I think it's getting better, then I get an adjustment that shoots pains up my arm, and I am back at square 1.

I must say though, drinking wine has been a big help. :wine: Starting a couple nights ago I was able to start sleeping at night again.

Of course a little Advil and asprin never hurt either...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:37 pm

All joking aside, I hope you feel better.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:09 pm

bledsoe3 wrote:All joking aside, I hope you feel better.

Thanks for the well wishes... I'm feeling better already.

Seriously, I expect, at my current rate of progress that by next Friday I'll be in pretty good shape.

Until then, just forward your wine to my street address! ;)

:tipsy:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:29 pm

asianflava wrote:It looks like you are doing deep knee bends.

Heck, no! That's Mike's famous Cossack dance routine - his arms are crossed in the next picture. He only chopped off the top of the photo to hide his fur hat.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:42 pm

:drofl:

You're good Andrew!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GeorgeTelford » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:09 pm

Hi Again

Here is a suppliers of parts and complete oil lamps (all fuel types)

http://www.oil-lamps.co.uk/shop/index.html?target=dept_21.html

Couple of interesting Items the colza mentions Veg oil burning (as do several of the other burner types) and the flame spreader.

Does anyone know what the flame spreader was for? to increase light? of spread heat? Both or neither?

with the parts there it gives plenty of scope for experimental units.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby vinoscooter » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:32 pm

george..Flame speader..The only lamp ive worked on that has a spreader..is aladdin...they wouldn't work well in a trailer cause the mantles that use are fragile...they use a round wick..the spreader sits in the middle...yes it does keep the flame from running togther..so it burns evenly around in a circle..it also regulates air flow..they won't burn w/out it...the only flat wick style i use is the dietz...the old american made ones to me the best ever made...the new china ones i think are still good..haven't found any better.for the price..All replace ment parts are still available through lehman's...To me thats a major +...What you see on web is just the beggining of their parts.ive restored lamps from the 20's..30's etc..they know where to find it..Powderburn..Ya might be on to something there...a lantern useing an olive oil wick...might work...if it don't burn right you might try closeing off some of the air holes somehow..Or maybe adding some more holes..Wick absortion..& air..Fuel & air just like a car,even simpler...or trimming the wick to a smaller size...till the air & fuel matches..Ive never been able to burn olive oil in a regular lantern...Way cool idea..By they way..One hell of a candle..monster candle,Mega candle...The powderburn generation X alien life form attraction candle.. :) Man this thread realley took off,who'id thunk it...Im mean candles...They've been around since..prehistoric times maybe..Right after fire..Amimal fat...So simple..burning them in a tear.use caution.Ill use the olive oil in the pod,no odor..if ya make your own,use the most non tip jar you can find..+ you can just screw a tight lid on,no spill's..take care..
Last edited by vinoscooter on Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
" You have enemies? Good! It means you've stood up for something at least once in your life."
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Postby Wright » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:42 am

Hey Powder...

Lee Valley Tools has those miners lanterns also...

if'n you was interested...

Wright
:BE Wright

SEMPER FI
Wright
*teardrop schemer

Postby Wright » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:45 am

oh yea...Duh

I like your "candles" for a lack of a better name...

I'm gonna have to try one out... thanks

Wright
:BE Wright

SEMPER FI
Wright
*teardrop schemer

Postby asianflava » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:35 pm

Would there be a problem with soot when used in a confined space like a TD?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:58 pm

asianflava wrote:Would there be a problem with soot when used in a confined space like a TD?

...having used similar candles myself...yeahm ther is a soot problem, however basically we are talkin' "survival" mode here for which soot would likely not be of great concern
madjack(cough cough) 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs