Mimimalism

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby vinoscooter » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:18 pm

hey George, family emergency came up...was off puter for couple of days..Found a source for an oil candle that uses a 1/2 in wick..burns on olive oil,or vegetable oil..would put out a little more heat..olive oil burns clean,odorless,no toxic fumes..but is more expensive to burn..They also have several 1/8 in round wick models.. If someone wants info let me know. The most simple way to explain your water vs heat thing..W/my pea of a brain..I think this topic was discussed earlier though.

Heat: the total kinetic energy of the molecules or atoms composing a substance. The atoms and molecules in a substance DO NOT always move at the same velocity meaning that there is a range of kinetic energy among the atoms and molecules

Temperature: the average kinetic energy of individual atoms and molecules.

Conduction: the transfer of kinetic energy of atoms and molecules by collision between neighboring atoms and molecules. No mass is exchanged, but a medium is required. Some substances conduct heat much more readily than the others: Solids are better conductor than liquids and liquids are better conductor than gases. Metals are excellent conductors of heat, WHEREAS AIR IS VERY POOR CONDUCTOR OF HEAT.

But when you put your hands in an oven..Don't touch the metal side's cause it'll burn the crap out of ya.Was also a baker for 8 yrs. Most Metal's are a great conductor of heat,Air isn't..The igloo thing ..Must of been alot tuffer when I was young...Id prefer not to sleep in one now :) Seems like u could only let the temp go to 40 or so degrees for a short time..Otherwize they may become on stable...Makes since..But most stayed close to 32 F..Here's some igloo info if anyones interested...

http://www.kstrom.net/isk/maps/houses/igloo.html

Take Care.. vinoscooter
" You have enemies? Good! It means you've stood up for something at least once in your life."
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:57 pm

vinoscooter wrote:Found a source for an oil candle that uses a 1/2 in wick..burns on olive oil,or vegetable oil..would put out a little more heat..olive oil burns clean,odorless,no toxic fumes..but is more expensive to burn..They also have several 1/8 in round wick models.. If someone wants info let me know. Take Care.. vinoscooter

I would be interested in the oil candle info. PM me. Thanks, Jim.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby SteveH » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:16 pm

Just thinking about the candle and heat thing, why not an old time kerosene lantern burning vegetable oil? :thinking:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GeorgeTelford » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:24 am

Hi

Air and water can have the same temperature, but they contain different amounts of heat energy. temperature is only a measure if the intensity of the heat, not of its nature oif quantity.

Imagine an oblong of rock, say we know the height, but not the width or length. if the height of 2 different blocks was 100cm it would not help us calculate the weight without the other two measuremnents, its the same with temperature its only one part of the heat we feel.

Heat doesnt travel through space, the best insulator is a vaccum as their is nothing there for the heat to travel through (thats why the point heat doesnt rise air does, is an important concept)

Now the sun is on average about 93 Million miles away through a vacuum, so then you are thinking how come if I stand in the midday sun I get hot? the heat is generated by radiation.

The above is why this subject is not as simple as people think.

Burning a carbon based fuel by flame must create harmful by products, even the cat type do in smaller quantities without a flame as such.

Would be interested in those wicks though.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby vinoscooter » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:14 pm

http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemTyp ... 94&i4Cat=0

Light up the night
Olive oil is 99 pure renewable fuel, so it produces NO smoke or odor and can't aggravate allergies. Safe since it can't catch on fire if tipped over. Use any green, renewable fuel like olive oil, vegetable oil, or liquid fat or grease. Tight-fitting lid for easy storage. Nickel element,
Made in the USA
(A) Cabin Lamp-The only wide flat-wick olive oil lamp available on the market today. Developed exclusively for Lehman's® customers. Our brightest and most practical Olive Oil Lamp. Gives off much more light than other olive oil lamps. Steel element, ½"W flat wick. Burns over 20 hours per fill. 16 oz jar, 3¾"H, 12 oz.
(B) Chamber Lamp-Handle makes it easy to carry lamp from room to room. 1/8" OD round wick. Burns 12 hours per fill. 16 oz jar, 5"H, 10 oz.
(C) Table Lamp-Faceted sides throw dancing shadows on the table and wall. 1/8" OD round wick. Burns 9 hours per fill. 12 oz jar, 4½"H, 4 oz.
(D) Camp Lamp-Short jar less likely to tip. Fits in glove compartment or backpack. 1/8" OD round wick. Burns 4 hours per fill. 2 oz jar, 2" 4 oz.

An oil lamps wick can only soak up so much fluid,dependent on the type of fluid..kerosene allows max absorbtion,ultra pur lamp oils is good also,alladdian lamps have such a large wick,they recomend kerosene..My alladdian's won't burn properly w/out it..I'ts combustion,the right amount of oil to burn w/the right amount of air..The link below is..make your own olive oil candles...I grew up close to this hardware store,amish run,the non-electric store..Weren't amish,but i am influinced by there simple non-electric life style.I get all there catalog's..3 yrs for 9 bucks..but if you put an order in you'll get a catalog.Hey george..your explainations better than mine for sure,language arts are not my specialty,i grew up in a back woods sort of way..As you look through the online catalog you'll see hundreds of old fashion products..Which i think are way cool,in are so called modern times.vinoscooter

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product ... ductID=472
" You have enemies? Good! It means you've stood up for something at least once in your life."
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Postby GeorgeTelford » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:46 pm

Hi Vino

Beware that CO is oderless that doesnt aggravate allergies, in fact it as been known to cure allergies permenantly, see following link.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/co.html

I like the page but I am not sure of the safety (poisen gas wise) of using these in a confined space. I know caravans were lit by gas mantles and also that you can still buy caravan gas mantles new (Would be way to hot in a tear they heat a small caravan quite well!)

I admire backwoods lifestyle and you are one of the very few people that have had any idea of why the same temperature can have different amount energy.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby Wright » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:27 pm

ok guys, I have a question here... As Powderburn said...

My shop that had the floor heat was remarkably warm(even with the full size door open),The reason it was so warm is because I wasnt heating the air but instead,I was heating the solid members of the shop.

wouldn't this work in a tear also??? leave your heat source outside the living compartment and pump the heated water throughout your tear floor?? or am I way off base?? or even to cool, pump cool water...

or would the pump be using too much elec.??

Wright
:BE Wright

SEMPER FI
Wright
*teardrop schemer

Postby Chris C » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:40 pm

I find myself rather puzzled by this entire thread.

My heater is 5'7" tall, blonde, and plentywarm on a cold winter's eve. :angel: We've spent nights in a tent at below freezing and I've never been too cold to sleep. And it doesn't take any outside energy source to stay warm. :twisted: Works for me!
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby mikeschn » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:54 pm

You missed the gist of the thread, I think...

It's a survival situation, your favorite heater isn't available, and you're chilled to the bone...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:03 pm

I think Chris is just bragging! :lol:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Chris C » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:59 pm

Oops! Sorry, I'll try to read the topic more closely in the future. My mistake. :oops:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Wright » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:45 pm

ok, just a thought... I'll check the other thread... plus thinking about it, it'd end up using way more juice than you'd want, in this situation... for the pump I mean.., unless you rig a mini windmill on the roof........wait a min.
:BE Wright

SEMPER FI
Wright
*teardrop schemer

Postby GeorgeTelford » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:43 pm

Hi

earlier tonight I made an oil lamp.

Take one tin foil pie tray, one peice of string, some cooking oil.

I knotted the string so the "wick" would sit upright in the tin foil tray (better would be some wire formed into a wick stand see vino's link), I poured in some cooking oil (pure vegatable oil) and lit it, 3 hours later its still alight, there was slight smoke on light up (mind I was using basic string)

what can I say? it worked, the string was wicking up the oil, producing light and heat, it didnt use any visible amount of oil in three hours. No noticeable smells

need to try it with a CO device to see whats produced.

test with bigger wick or multiple wicks

could a hurricane lamp be fitted using the cap as a roof vent?

hardly seems worth reinventing the wheel here the above costs £6.50 (US $ 11.42)
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby vinoscooter » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:48 pm

Have tryed most experiment's..yrs ago..Refresh memory time?.It seems we made a home made wick out of flour sack towel's..Doubling the towel cut into a wick shape,& sown together..What the heck,it was along time ago...Yes olive oil is expensive to burn, but im on a camp trip..or temp survival..i can use the oil to cook with,+ light the little lamps..2 in 1...Long term suvival requires fat..In the extreme get the fat in you..in any form...a couple tbls a day..think health not taste...or texture...Olive oil is still my favorite little candle to burn though, tryed every lantern,candle,oil lamp...Think about the olden days..no electric,a candle is a god sent...The saying...early to bed early to rise...etc...was written cause IT'S DARK YA CANT DO NOTHIN BUT MAKE WOPPIE! LARGE FAMILYS BACK THEN...SOMEwhere on the website theres a book on useing other oil,fats to burn..might be interesting..Still my favorite large scale light is carbide...2oz 2 1/2 hrs of hi intensity light...Ive thawed out brake lines,frozen pipes,started fire's,in blizzards...But useing them is allmost an art form, Carbides can kill a million skiters a night,it seems like,...sit it 30 or so ft. from your camp site, mega attraction..for bugs...they hit the heat from the flame...Ive seen a pile of bugs 15 in tall under the lamps..Lots of low power options out there...( non electric)..Just takes education,patients,adjusting,decideing what you needs & wants are...The ultimate srvival tear can be built,but would require sacrifice,..A large change from ones normal lifestyle...Only a few brave folks would qualify...Or would even want to...I was raised..in what would now be called primitive/or survival...Didn't know the difference...Makes modern tech..seem unnatural...Dam, I just love warm shower's...beats the heck out of a utility tub...& cold water from a pump :)Never burn an open flame in a teardrop W/OUT ventulation..Period!...The old fashion lanterns don't work w/olive, or veg oil...the wicks can't soak up enough oil fast enough.At least they never worked for me...2 kinds of old lantern's..1 takes in cold air from the bottom of the burner, 2 the other uses a mix of warm & cold air..Seems to me #1 is best for max heat output..Most are the #1 kind... vinoscooter.
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:30 am

Thanks for the links Vino. I think I'll try one after I get my tear done. One thing at a time.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs