Sally

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Sally

Postby Forrest747 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Looking at a lot trailers on this site and in person with some input with my wife I decided that maybe next winter to do Sally. Naming after Sally Ride.
Taking a lot from Sharon H My way, my wife loved it. Also thinking of how I hate the motion the trailer makes when your shifting in bed. I fear the tongue jack is going to snap and well hit our heads. I also do not like how my fenders came out so i thought i would recess them into the body. This gives me the space from teh wheels to the rear for battery and storage. it also gives me a spot for storage. makes a perfect bench placement so that a table seating for two can take place. Forward bulkhead will house the counterspace and next to the door a toilet. Counter may or may not have a sink and not sure about a water tank, 5 gallon jugs seem to work just fine. Sharon has a raised roof so that will be a must and taking from Zach will be clear with a vinyl cover. WOuld love to see the stars from inside the warm trailer. Also will incorporate Zach LED lights. Taking some time to mock it up and see what we like and dont.
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Re: Sally

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:04 pm

Well, I'll be.... :thinking:

Forest, if you're going to put your galley in the front, you probably don't need to move the axle back. Recognize that having the roof open in the front means you have what is called a suicide roof; so, you'll need to secure it well for travel. If you move the axle back, you can have your galley and entrance in the back and can flip the lifting roof so that it opens in the back and the traveling wind will help hold it down (you'll still need to secure it well).

PS. I like the name! :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Forrest747 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:49 am

Yeah i am actually thinking all four corners move up and yes latching is a must. I am not sure about having my head at foot end of the bed in a traditional sense. I like the idea of the bunk for kids and or storage. But the way it will take to get out of bed is awkward. I tried it last night on my bed at home and the kids laughed at me. Mocking up maybe in a few months and try it out.
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby angib » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:03 am

With that arrangement, it would be fairly easy to make the bed convert into a settee, using the edge of the bunk to support the settee backrest and then sliding the settee base back. If you are really clever, you could make the front edge of the settee base rise up a couple of inches to give a really comfortable seating position. But making the bed convertible would lose some storage space.

The frame seems very complex. Nothing much wrong with adding steel where it isn't needed, but it could be simplified quite a bit.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:04 pm

Forrest747 wrote:Yeah i am actually thinking all four corners move up and yes latching is a must. I am not sure about having my head at foot end of the bed in a traditional sense. I like the idea of the bunk for kids and or storage. But the way it will take to get out of bed is awkward. I tried it last night on my bed at home and the kids laughed at me. Mocking up maybe in a few months and try it out.

Other than sitting straight up in bed, there are two fairly easy ways to get up from a prone position: Roll onto your side and, leaning on your forearm, use it, your back muscles, and the other hand/arm to push up into a half upright position; OR...Attach a handles to the side of the wall and/or ceiling; grab the handle(s) and pull yourself to a sitting position. Once you are half up, scoot on your behind and feet to the edge of the bed or roll onto your knees and crawl to the edge of the bed. :thinking: Knowing about your arthritis, can you perform either one of those actions with minimal pain, Forest?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Member Designs