Not a true TD but designed for my needs

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Not a true TD but designed for my needs

Postby 91kuhndog » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:40 pm

I've run the want's & needs list and came up with the idea that a true 4x8 TD is too small for what I want to do with it... plus, I'm not in favor of packing a gallon into a quart jar. I've been playing with a few idea's and this one has come to the forefront becasue of the kitchen versitility and still keeps the sleeping arangements. The primary use of this TD is for NASCAR tailgating (5 to 6 times a year) and occasional trips to the mountains during the summer months. This design is 19' total in length with a 30" cargo tray on the front. The actual size of the trailer is 5'x11'. Input requested, criticism expected! :frightened:
teardrop side siloette.png
Basic side profile
teardrop side siloette.png (4.96 KiB) Viewed 3984 times
Attachments
teardrop kitchen.png
basic kitchen profile
teardrop kitchen.png (11.21 KiB) Viewed 3984 times
teardrop side with subwalls.png
side profile with subwalls and cabinet silloette
teardrop side with subwalls.png (6.73 KiB) Viewed 3984 times
Our only limitations in life are purely self-induced!

My build; viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54749
91kuhndog
Donating Member

Re: Not a true TD but designed for my needs

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:10 pm

It has a pleasing profile and a good size. The raised roof in the back will add difficulty to the build, but could make for a more interesting trailer. I am assuming that you will use 15" tires? Have you figured out what the floor height will be? My guess is 16-18", but not sure. If that is close the work surface may be to high. It could be something to look at. How will the back doors open? What are you covering the sides with and how tall are your sidewalls? A little more info may get you some more replies. Good start. I look forward to following along! :beer:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mezmo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:23 am

Since ya wanted input...

I'd just have a smooth continuous curve from the front
to the back as i think that'd be more aero efficient.

BUT, if you really like the profile as drawn - go for it !
It is a unique profile. The one thing I think every
builder should do is to build it like they want to - after
doing their research and weighing how all the options
apply to themselves and how they will use it - then do
it as you want to, since the design aspect/choice is, after
all, personal.
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JeremiahO » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:50 am

I wonder how that will go through the wind. Looks like It might sway??
JeremiahO
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:30 am

JeremiahO wrote:I wonder how that will go through the wind. Looks like It might sway??

Ya I’m thinking the same thing. The shape might tend to put force down on the back of the trailer at highway speed.

Of course just my opinion, but if you gonna make the back a bit higher why not the front too. It will give you more
room for a small dinette or sit down TV couch.

Where BobHenery at when we need him

Here is one of his offsprings.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 91kuhndog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:56 am

The profile came from a lot of different trailers I've seen and I actually sat down and penciled about 20 or so different profiles but kept coming back to this one. Woodbutcher, you're right about a couple things I've considered. Since I'm fabricating my own trailer, two things I've doing t keep the deck as alow as possible is to use a 4" drop spindle axle and mount the axle on top of the springs. The springs I'm using are 2000# rated and I'm estimating my weight to be around 1300# empty and 1600# loaded (heaviest senario). I've opted for 15" wheels since the majority of the time, the trailer will be on the interstate, at highway speeds.

The side walls are goign to be built using the sandwiched wall design using 3/4 plywood between luan on the outside and oak paneling on the inside. Ultimately, the outside is going to be covered in aluminum and painted. The front will be covered using diamond plate aluminum and the roof is going to be luan covered in EPDM rubber membrane material. Why a rubber roof? I have a large piece left over from my 5th wheel roof I replaced 2 years ago. It's actually very easy to install and seal.

The frame will be 2x3x1/8" box with 2" angle cross bars 24" on center. I'm installing quite a few nicities since I often cook for 14-20 at the races... (tailgating & camping a NASCAR race is more fun than the races themselves sometimes). It'll have a sink, 6 gal hot water heater, A/C for the SouthCarolina summer nights, ENVI ceramic wall heater, small RV microwave and a Koolatron refrigerated cooler. A two burner Coleman stove will be added to the cabinet as to maintain the countertop space and remain portable.

as for the shape and the rear 1/4th of the trailer causing downforce? I've put a lot of thought into this and even had a couple of my Boeing C-17 engineers look at it to opinionate... I've come to the conclusion that since the trailer is only going to be about 70" tall, it still wont be tall enough to stick up past the top of the Nissan Quest nor the bed-cap on my F-250. The axle location is push the axle back to around the 70% mark in an effort to keep weight centered under the tear and allowing for added weight on the front of the trailer... I hope I'm right!

Also, the front of the trailer will have a 36" x60" cargo rack to allow me to haul stuff like the inverter/generator, water tank, smoker, and portable fire ring.

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby 91kuhndog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:08 am

Here are couple more drawings of the TD...

to answer a question ask, the rear door will be top hinged door, with the hinge being located about 4" from the top of the trailer. The door will incorporate a couple speakers, LED light for the kitchen, and of course, the clearance and tail lights on the outside. The door will be skined with aluminum and painted to match the trailer.

Thanks- Brad
Attachments
teardrop tailgate running lights.png
teardrop tailgate running lights.png (7.05 KiB) Viewed 3877 times
teardrop side with front measurements.png
teardrop side with front measurements.png (11.57 KiB) Viewed 3877 times
teardrop side plywood cut outs.png
This is the 3/4 plywood for the side walls
teardrop side plywood cut outs.png (8.47 KiB) Viewed 3877 times

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Return to Member Designs