New "Shrunk Bunk" teardrop started

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

New "Shrunk Bunk" teardrop started

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:21 am

I have been kicking around a way to haul my mountain bike with me when I go a-teardropping. After many altered designs and 3 scale mock-ups out of cereal box cardboard, I finally have figured out how to do it. This latest design will have a 40 by 48 inch Harbor Freight trailer, with the the same size floor, made out of an inch and 3/8 hollow-core door. The main section of the unit will of course be 40 x 48, and will only be 24 inches high. An upper section, slightly longer and wider than the main section, will be able to be raised up and secured to the lower section creating 46 inches of head room. From within the lower section, a 28 inch swing-out, slide out in the front, will create roomfor my feet on the 6ft 4inch bed. A door on the lower section and a tip-up section of wall above it, will provide access to the bed area. Mattress sections will be stacked inside while on the road, just like on my other tears.

I plan to have a minimal galley in the rear, with a lift-up galley hatch and a flip-up counter top for the coleman stove, with cabinets attached, that will swing down into the lower section when under way. On the 40 x 48 inch roof, I'll install exterior ribs with openings to provide tie-downs for hauling the bike up there. Going down the road, the whole unit will be similar to a box, 2 ft high, and about 4 ft square. I believe it can be built with a total weight not more than 400 lbs, including the trailer frame. I'll take pics as I go along, and will have to find some way to post them. I know,pic-posting directions are given here on the board, but I have no idea what all of that computer talk means. I am lucky I know how to manage to post on the board, send emails and use the search engines. With some luck, my "Shrunk Bunk" tear, will be ready for the Shasta Dam Gathering. (Oh my gosh, this will make number 4, and counting)
8) ;) :? Roly, the li'l ol' TD guy in So Calif.
Last edited by Roly Nelson on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Re: New "Shrunk Bunk" teardrop started

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:35 am

As with all your builds Roly, it will be fun to watch. Some day we will get you to come back to Illinois so we can see one of your cool trailers!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby TJinPgh » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:32 am

Sounds interesting. Can't wait to see it.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:17 am

Finally all of the wood work is finished, now for a bit of varnish and paint. I weighed each wheel and the tongue and together they only add up to 280 lbs. Just a bit heavier than the "Stacker". Shasta, here I come.
8) :) ;) :thumbsup: Roly
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:01 pm

So you're going to keep us in the dark. Not even a Teazzer picture? :(
:lol:
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:26 am

Well Terry, I have tried many times to post pics on this board. I even read the directions on how to do it. All of that PC lingo is like Greek to me. I hope someday I'll get some help at this end with pics, and I am amazed that I am even able to post messages on the board. I learned to type on a manual typewriter, only because all of the cute girls were in that class. Hmmm, I still can type, whee.
:? Roly
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby nhstt » Thu May 02, 2013 9:41 pm

Roly Nelson wrote:Well Terry, I have tried many times to post pics on this board. I even read the directions on how to do it. All of that PC lingo is like Greek to me. I hope someday I'll get some help at this end with pics, and I am amazed that I am even able to post messages on the board. I learned to type on a manual typewriter, only because all of the cute girls were in that class. Hmmm, I still can type, whee.
:? Roly

Roly, Although Gordon's not a great camper he is great with computers. If you want to attach them to email( a couple per email-because of size) He said he'd be glad to get them posted for you.I'll pm his address. 8) can't wait to see your latest :twisted:
Karen
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby nhstt » Thu May 09, 2013 7:38 am

Roly Nelson wrote:Finally all of the wood work is finished, now for a bit of varnish and paint. I weighed each wheel and the tongue and together they only add up to 280 lbs. Just a bit heavier than the "Stacker". Shasta, here I come.
8) :) ;) :thumbsup: Roly

Roly,
Do you spar varnish everything including your undercarriage first and what brand do you use? semi-gloss or gloss, sand between coats?And how many coats? :roll: :roll: :roll: learning as I go. 8)

Karen at the Ladybug-out build journal viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55602
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue May 28, 2013 12:26 am

The high gloss spar varnish I use is from Lowes, and costs about 45 bucks a gallon. I put on a new coat every year, so that means that I have 13 coats of varnish so far. I lightly sand between coats, but just brush it on, who cares if there are a few brush marks, after all, this isn't a Steinway Piano. I use roofing pitch, brushed onto all exposed parts of the bottom of my tears, and it has worked just fine on the last two. The first one, the woodie, has a line-x coating, which probably added unwanted weight to the trailer, and if I had to do it again, I'd use roofing pitch, just like on the others.
Roly~~
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby canned o minimum » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:35 pm

There hasta be SUM pics of Roly's "Shrunk Bunk" SUMWHERE ! And since "I" now am the NEW proud owner of it ( and have chaged its' name to the "Squeeze Box" ) it'll be gettin around more so y'all can take pics of it at Lake Perris 27-30 March 2014

Of course, once everone sees Roly's NEW project, nobody will care bout the "Squeeze Box"

GEE, I hope I haven't ruined yer secret, Roly ! Trust me folks... you won't wanna miss his newest creation !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Can someone make a real simple youtube video of uploading a picture?

Have the photos in one window. Have the forum in the other window. Go to the gallery, your personal gallery, and then drag the photo to the gallery.

I don't have my computer set up to do videos at the moment...

Thanks,

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Junkboy999 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:13 pm

Mike Before someone can make a Youtube Video to show Roly how to upload a photo, You gonna have to teach him how to use YouTube.

Hahahah :lol:

I could do it if I fix my other computer. Power supply got fiyed in a lighting storm. Not sure of the HD is in tack as well.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Member Designs