Comments on my budget

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Comments on my budget

Postby mclanem » Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 am

So I am designing and planning a Benroy teardrop for my family to use. My first step is to come up with an estimated budget for the project so that we know where to start buying and saving. I got that done and I was hoping people could give me some comments. I know it might be difficult because I don't have a lot of information about what I am planning to build at this point but I am just looking for an estimate and not concrete costs. Basically is there anything that is glaringly off or missing.

My plan:
  • Build a fairly Basic 5x8x4 Benroy
  • Minimal cabinetry in the galley and cabin
  • No gas
  • No DC power or batteries
  • Simple AC electric setup
  • No heater or air conditioning
  • Lighter Weight
  • Budget Sensitive
I plan to build the walls sandwich style to save on weight and to extend the amount of time we can use it in the winter. I plan to save money by building my doors and windows (at least right now).

I am not sure what else you all need to know. Please feel free to ask questions, that would be useful too. I do have some hand drawings done at this point. I would like to try my hand at sketchup but I haven't found the time to start to learn it.

Anyway, here is my estimated budget. Please tell me what you think:

Thank you in advance,
Matt
Attachments
Teardrop Budget and Costs.pdf
(18.08 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
mclanem
Teardrop Builder

Re: Comments on my budget

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu May 09, 2013 8:34 am

I will say now what I often say, where you are now is not where you will be in the future! Plan for it.
Do wiring for DC at least where it will be inaccessible i.e.walls and roof for a fan, I understand budget, I also understand, I wish I had. Our trailer has LOTS of outlets both AC and AC and they have all been used, it has 14 LED lights, all of which have been used.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu May 09, 2013 9:12 am

Good advise from Shadow catcher. Wire is cheap. Trying to fit it in later is not. I would never build a trailer without a vent/fan. My favorite is a Fantastic Fan. More then worth the money. Build with a 14" square opening in the ceiling. If you don't have the money right now, cap it. You will want it on the first hot night, I promise.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mclanem » Thu May 09, 2013 9:19 am

I am intending to put a ceiling vent it. I have been waffling between putting fans up at that ceiling vent or on wall vents. Either way I am planning on using computer fans.

I hear you on planning for the future. I will give that some thought.

Matt
mclanem
Teardrop Builder

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu May 09, 2013 9:23 am

The alternative for those hot nights (but you will need shore power to make it work) is my cheap and simple electrical with a plug in fan.

I will be the first to admit that if I had the know-how and the confidence to do more complex wiring, my teardrop would probably have a disco ball hanging in it. So I am not selling it on the premise that it is the best possible solution, but it is an alternative if you want fast, cheap and easy.

Others have used this simple system as well and most have said they found it to be fine. Fortunately for me, I am on the East Coast where most campgrounds have electrical available. If you plan to boon dock a lot, or using campgrounds in the west where electrical is less common, this solution will probably not work for you.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby mclanem » Thu May 09, 2013 9:59 am

Yeah, this simple electric system is the basis of what I am going with. I was just going to run three additional plugs instead of just having the one splitter. I am completely comfortable with that.
mclanem
Teardrop Builder

Postby Junkboy999 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:37 pm

I use this nice little fan

http://www.miiu.org/wiki/O2-Cool_Model_ ... utdoor_Fan

I use two small bungee cords to attach it under my 14” fanless vent. It runs 17 hours of 8 d batteries and has an ac
adaptor. around 30$

My camper is not wired for permanent power yet, just a hole in the galley floor to pass an extension cord up and
a hole from the galley into the sleeping area.

For lights I use a small Harbor Freight Solar panel, battery pack, and light package 56$. Again not permanently
installed so I can move it to a picnic table or to a tent.

I have a small ceramic heater on clearance at Walley for 15$. works great for a TD if you have a AC plug. Just
get one for a thermostat shoot off. Mine turnes off and one all night and I dont even know it.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mclanem » Thu May 16, 2013 10:04 am

So here is my current roadblock and I am not sure how to deal with it.

We have two kids 8 and 4. My wife is very concerned with where they will sleep. I think that we would be able to move them out to a tent but she is worried that our 4 year old wouldn't do well out there and she wouldn't be able to hear them. So... my question is, what can I do to fit the four of us in the camper for now? I saw the 2+2 design but does anyone else have any creative ideas on how to either convince my wife that the kids will be OK or how we can provide them with beds.

Matt
mclanem
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Thu May 16, 2013 10:40 am

mclanem wrote:So here is my current roadblock and I am not sure how to deal with it.

We have two kids 8 and 4. My wife is very concerned with where they will sleep. I think that we would be able to move them out to a tent but she is worried that our 4 year old wouldn't do well out there and she wouldn't be able to hear them. So... my question is, what can I do to fit the four of us in the camper for now? I saw the 2+2 design but does anyone else have any creative ideas on how to either convince my wife that the kids will be OK or how we can provide them with beds.

Matt

You can pull doubles in MIchigan..............Image
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Bunk Beds..

This might be of interest to you. This guy has a sliding bunk. The guys username is Alfred
His signature states.

4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY

“How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground! “

Another user just finished a TD where the back wall of the galley folded into the sleeping area and made a bunk
as well. If I find the link I’ll edit this and post it.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby EZ » Fri May 17, 2013 10:37 am

I put bunkbeds in my camper that converted into a couch-type sitting area. Worked great for my kids. Put a reading light for each one and they loved it.

Camper was 5 1/2 feet wide though.

EZ126207008
EZ
Donating Member

Return to Member Designs