Folding chair / bed for a TD. Maybe?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Here is a nice Russian youtube video for a Couch / Bed, chair / Bed, and the click clack couch folding bed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M72CIgrosU

The Chair is at 48 seconds into the video. This could be a nice thing to have in a TD for one person. ( two if made bigger). It has storage for you bed linens. I think it can be made to unfold automatically using cables. It might be a bit heavy. It will add height to your bed if your trailer is high off the ground. It need to be operated all from the side, folding unfolding and changing the linens. The extra height of the bed will require more space under inside cabinets. The arms do not need to be separate, they can be built into the wall and include pop out cup holders, storage reading materials, and maybe laptops

Here it is in my LowBoy Tailgating concept. It is a little tight, Might be better for a bigger TD, as long as it is not too high off the ground.

Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Folding chair / bed for a TD. Maybe?

Postby kudzu » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:54 pm

I like the general idea. What do you think about something similar to this? I was thinking of two of them side by side, each 27-30" wide.

https://diyconversions.com/bed-box-recl ... tal-plans/
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:53 pm

kudzu

Good find. I’ve seen some manufactured couch fold the say way but this little gem has some nice stops, notches, to put it in a reclining mode. If you get the planes for $40 you can just build a wider one. The two small ones side by side ones should work as well. The other half can be napping while you can sit up and reading. The gap between the two might be too big.

I might have to draw them out on my cad program tonight.

Thank for the input.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kudzu » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:00 am

Junkboy999 wrote: The gap between the two might be too big.

Yes. I had thought that making a specific left & right side which would be missing the appropriate lip, allowing a marginally wider cushion. Also, a thin mattress topper would help though I don't like the idea of having to find place to stash it out of the way during the day.
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:44 pm

In most cases, you’ll still have the area under the inside back cabinets where the thin pad can be rolled up and stored. Most of the time you would probably just have the camper in bed mode. I wonder if the seats were temporarily locked together would you operate both while standing in the doorway.

Teardrops usually only get in their camper to sleep, Nap or read a book. If you have a folding bench / bed or a stowed table in the floor, you’ll spend more time just lifting up the mattress to show other camper how it works. That is what I seen so far at the last few TD gathering I went to. I still plan to do a fold up bench and a table idea. Besides camping I will be going to RC glider shows. So my TD will be use for a place out of the sun and to cool down. Most RC shows people run generators for charging up batteries, my generator will run my AC .
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:15 am

Would it not be simpler to make stacking cushions without the wooden framework?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:37 pm

rebapuck wrote:Would it not be simpler to make stacking cushions without the wooden framework?

Yes.

But where is the fun in that. :)
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Bogo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:36 pm

Junkboy999 wrote:
rebapuck wrote:But where is the fun in that. :)
Leaves more time to camp and be in the outdoors. :D ;)
Bogo
500 Club

Return to Member Designs