Teardrop Bump out idea, Bunkbeds.

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Teardrop Bump out idea, Bunkbeds.

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:23 pm

I see a lot of people asking about a small Teardrop that can sleep more than 2. So i just thought this together in a few min. Again, just me thinking out loud again.

Small utility shelf bump out has been done before. What about a larger bump out to hold a set of bunk beds. This would probably be a heaver TD because a metal frame might be needed. A cable system can pull it out and back in or it can be done manually. The Height of the bumpout can be made smaller just for one bunk. The length of the bump out can can be made shorter as well and have a smaller bump out of it’s own, for extra leg room, or added later when kids grow taller

Again just in my head. If anyone would like to take it any farther I can do more planning on it :thinking:
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Teardrop Bump out idea, Bunkbeds.

Postby Craig Shaffer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:12 pm

One thing that I have been thinking about after looking at all the designs is that you could have both sides "slide" out with a bed under the two halves and two small beds, each one half of the main bed, on the pop outs. This way you could have the low profile and gain two beds.

Craig.
Craig Shaffer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:31 pm

Craig

Thanks for commenting and kicking around the idea. At first I was going to use rollers on the bottom of the slide out, that rolled on top of the main floor to help support the weight. This meant you needed to roll up the main bed. I redid the design again and this time I use rollers on rails. These rails are part of the forward and rear internal cabinets. The rails also support the side wall and the weight of the slideout. With this design you can have a slide out on both side, and still keep the main bed on the floor. It would work well if you had another way to enter the camper.

If the slide out was just a little bit above the main floor you could have a door in it. like any old teardrop. Raising the slide out higher would make it hard to get up in to.

A two slide out idea might be better suited for a camper that you entered from the back more like a Wild Goose. If you entered from the back, the back cabinets and rails will have to go. The rails can be made removable, so you temp install them just for sliding in the bed. I have not played with any design that had a back entrance. I might have to kick this one around some more.

Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby iregan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:09 am

Cool idea,
I think a couple drop down legs might be needed to combat the extra weight overhanging the side when the slides are out though. A couple hundred pounds on the outside of the wheel might make it tippy.
Regan
iregan
Teardrop Builder

Postby Junkboy999 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Yep,

That is why I love to kick around these strange ideas. I was only thinking about the internal weight and supporting it with a frame while it was extended. It did not occur to me what effect the weight of the slide out and a 65 pound kid would have on the trailer while parked. Support legs to the ground would be needed or at least outrigger legs on that side of the camper that extend out a foot or two before going to the ground. Thanks for the comment.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:34 am

I would think a tip out would be a lot easier to do. A quarter arc tips out with legs to the trailer frame for support. Could have light walls and roof and semi-light floor-wall. Easier to seal with a flange on the wall-bed and Around the wall-roof when out. No sliding seals. Only disadvantage is you would have to tie the bedding in place-think sideways Murphy bed .
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:40 am

Here's an idea for you!

angib wrote:Welcome, Henk.

How about this small caravan built in the Netherlands - at least you can read the Dutch language on his site easily!

Image Image Image

The Simplicity is only 250kg (550lb): http://www.tante.nl/zzhugo/index.html

Andrew

Here's another...

Coca Cola Teardrop wrote:Image

Build pics are here:
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... 20teardrop

But the 2+2 high version is my favorite... http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear47.htm

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Member Designs