comments needed on New woody design

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

comments needed on New woody design

Postby Chuckles » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:39 pm

I know that there is really nothing new under the sun but I would appreciate comments on my design for a woody. I originally designed my standy with a typical curved profile but now I'm leaning towards a squared off version with wide ash trim (posts) with cedar shiplap plank in-fill. I'm thinking of using copper or brass nails to fasten the cedar and leaving the nails exposed for a shiplap boat look. The exterior would be fiberglassed. Any thoughts on the design or exterior finish would be appreciated.

I only have pdf files so I hope this works!

teardrop design.pdf
standy design
(48.6 KiB) Downloaded 436 times

teardrop concept.pdf
exterior concept
(53.72 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
Chuckles
Teardrop Master

Re: comments needed on New woody design

Postby Junkboy999 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Not bad.

Flat roof with edge trim.
Just remember a flat roof might tend to hold water and bow down over time and heat. If you're going to have trim around all the edges and they stick up higher then the roof surface you're making a showell swimming pool.

Hinge location.
Most people like to set their camper level or even a bit tongue up for better sleeping. If you roof is flat and the sides walls has trim on then, and your nose up a bit, the water will slowly collect and head to your hinge area. With the hinge running the width of your camper edge trim to edge trim the hinge itself makes a dam to collect water. Make sure you think about where water can run off.

One suggestion is to start the slope your backshell of the camper downward, then placing in the hinge after a few inches, so the water starts rolling downhill and does not set.

It is hard to explain, so here is a Pic of how the a guy made my teardrop. examples not to follow. Even though the front puddle can drain out of the gap it still takes time. The pool in the back has no place to drain My TD being wood and varnish, water setting for any length of time is bad. If it rains I have a PVC A-frame and a tarp I place on top of the camper.

Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chuckles » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:58 pm

Thanks for the tip Junkboy.

I plan on having a smooth transition from sidewalls to roof with no protruding trim. The hatch will be slightly (10") narrower than the trailer and made with formed channels kind of like a trunk lid. I'm thinking of using one of the live hinges instead of the hurricane hinge. I'll probably also put a small trim piece in front of the hinge to divert water off to the sides as well.

Got the trailer from the welder (my brother) today so I'm ready to rock! I have a very ambitious goal of camping in it in 6 weeks!
Chuckles
Teardrop Master

Postby Chuckles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Moved over to the Build Journals... I'm calling it the Cedar Shack.
Chuckles
Teardrop Master

Return to Member Designs