The weekender

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby Jimbo » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:45 pm

mikeschn wrote:Here are the cutting diagrams for the sidewalls of the weekender...

It helps to cut the luan sides first, and then make the furring strips match!

All the furring strips were cut from a 1x8, which has a dimensional thickness of 3/4". That's important if you are going to have 3/4" thick insulation in there. True "furring strips" are thinner than 3/4" as Arne learned! The wall and door framing strips are 1 1/2" wide unless otherwise noted.

It's also important to allow enough time to do these walls. All those little furring strips take time. I think I spent a day on each wall. All the cabinet furring strips are 2 1/4".

I trimmed the wall and door furring strips with a laminate trim bit in my router. I used the luan as my template. That's how you get a nice opening with rounded corners for the doorway.

If you have any questions, just ask!

Mike...

P.S. I don't understand how you plan on using your brad nailer...

I used drywall screws and screwed the furring strips and the luan right to my table. (I removed the screws 24 hours later!)

Thanks for the drawings!!! Big help. I am going to wait until Saturday morning to try again. I would like to knock out the walls this weekend. My aproach was going to be to make the frame and tack the laun to the frame with the brad nailer and then use the router to trim the laun down to match the frame using a pattern trim bit. I think I'll try your approach this time. I am going to keep track of the time I spend along with the money in case anyone else is interested in the Square Weekender.
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Jimbo » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:41 pm

Well, the drawings were a huge help!!! I have one wall laid out, joined and glued so far. I did do just a few minor modifications from your drawings. You weren't kidding when you said a day per wall were you? I worked all day and just got only one framed. I am going to work on the Weekender and my Dad is going to take over the Cubby so nothing goes to waste. Here's the link: http://www.ifindu.com/teardrop/weekender/walls/index.htm Also, for anyone interested, I will be keeping track of costs here: http://www.ifindu.com/teardrop/weekender/weekendercosts.htm
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:11 pm

:P I'm not at all surprised... framing up a wall IS a lot of work. once you have the walls framed up, you have one of the biggest jobs out of the way. :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Member Designs