The weekender

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

The weekender

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:59 pm

I posted this eariler in another thread, but I am really curious to hear what you guys think about this design.

It was named "Weekender" because the body can be built in 1 weekend.

And I'm still waiting for someone to step forward and volunteer to build it this weekend. If not, I have some OSB, I'll mock it up this weekend. I'll bet I can build the mockup in a day!

So your thoughts? You like the sharp corners? You don't like em? How about the insulation? There is none. It's a summer camper!

What about the aluminum? Forget it... it's painted! Drop it on the trailer of your choice and you're done. It fits a standard 4x8 trailer. Your choice. Harbor Freight, e-trailer.com, home made... it'll fit them all

Conveniences? As few or as many as you want!

Last question... is there a way to improve the basic design without adding any extra time to the project? Remember. 1 weekend and the body should be done!

Any other views you want to see?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RC » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:03 pm

Mike,
The only negative comment I have is that the rear of the trailer has a lot of empty space, but a very small access to get to it. It appears that there is enough space to accomodate a cooler, but no way to get it in there. Maybe I am missing something, like the fact that maybe the rear folds down. Is that the case?

Also, what is the length of the sleeping compartment? By the looks of it, it appears to be something less than 6 feet long. As a person that stands 6'3", I need a good amount of space. I suppose that could be adjusted though, by having a smaller storage area in the galley area.

Other than that, it does appear to have a good basic layout, and optimized for space and easy build. Are you going to give a listing of dimensions?
Last edited by RC on Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It worked until I fixed it!!!
RC
Teardrop Master

Postby Shrug53 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:25 pm

I am working on a design similar to that but on mine that bottom flat part is hinged so that it opens upwards. That way you get extra workspace for meal prep and also easy access to the bottom half of the storage.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Spook » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:25 pm

I like it. It's simple and functional. The one change I'd mke would be at the back where the tail lights and tag are. I'd like bifold doors like in the cabin tear and Andrews 2+2. If you are thinking of say interchangable trailers or the back of a full size pickup then the tag and lights would be on the hauler not the cabin.
Spook - Ball Ground, Georgia
Spook
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:01 pm

Just to keep everything intact, in the same thread, here are the dimensions I am going to cut on the mockup tomorrow...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:09 pm

Spook wrote:I like it. It's simple and functional. The one change I'd mke would be at the back where the tail lights and tag are. I'd like bifold doors like in the cabin tear and Andrews 2+2. If you are thinking of say interchangable trailers or the back of a full size pickup then the tag and lights would be on the hauler not the cabin.

Everyone seems to be commenting on the back end. :cry: I thought I was keeping it simple, and waterproof by making the backend a closed affair. Okay, I'll revisit it... I like the idea of bi-fold doors. Another thing that would work is the whole back end lifts up, exposing the space under the counter. That would still be simple (read, no cabinet doors required), yet allow access to the space underneath for coolers or what not! Okay, that's the way I'll build the mockup tomorrow! 8)

Mike...

P.S. Here's a wild guess at the weight...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Spook » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:07 pm

That will work. I just know me and that galley counter would be cluttered and covered just when I need to get below.
Spook - Ball Ground, Georgia
Spook
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:37 pm

Just move that hinge from the counter to the back panel and you could lift that whole part up. That one change would make a big difference.
Shrug53
500 Club

This is nice.--

Postby Laredo » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:21 pm

I like the angles and it looks like you could adjust the size easily. I would make two changes. One would be to put a vertical brace under the hatch lid across the middle of the counter so you could drop that short rearmost vertical wall out, and the second would be to split the back doors so they opened like regular cabinet doors in the lower half hatch.

It looks like you could easily adjust the rear height also so that you could get more the "Benroy" look or more the "Modernaire" if you'd rather. I can see it in 1/4 inch pine plywood outside, with 1/2 inch insulating foam and 1/4 or even 3/8 plywood inside. If you use a torch to stain/sand the outside layer and then poly it or fiberglass it, you would have a zebrawood look (kinda exotic ... depending how much char it can look like anything from white oak all the way to walnut, and if you're steady handed you save a lot of time on your finish ).
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby RC » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:45 am

That explains a lot (the dimensional drawing) now I see that the box is made from a 4 X 10 foot piece of plywood. Forget my comment about the short sleeping area!!!
It worked until I fixed it!!!
RC
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:20 am

Been playing this morning... Here's what I have so far!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shrug53 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:50 am

You gotta be kidding me! How do you work so fast? Looks good. What do you use to cut out your doors?
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby JamesW » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:35 pm

You don't sleep much do you?
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:55 pm

Here's the view of the inside

AND I listened to you guys, and added access to the area under the counter...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:14 pm

Here's the view with the hatch open...

And of course on the inside I made the top hinged so I can stuff blanket and pillows in the "chest"..

And last but not least I put a shelf on the inside. Then my feet gave out, I ran out of materials, and just didn't feel like doing any more.

So that's all for this weekend. Let me know if there are any other pictures you guys want to see. Right now I am going to go back out and push it into the garage!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Member Designs