The weekender

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby angib » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:48 am

I don't see how what you're describing can be any disadvantage, but whether it's an advantage is open to question.

I do suspect that if the tow vehicle is a pickup and the trailer body is not wider than the pickup, then anything you do won't make much difference.

The one exception may be if the trailer has substantially less ground clearance than the tow vehicle - in effect the underside of the trailer becomes the one place where it projects beyond the tow vehicle. Posters on the Fiberglass RV board seem to think this matters. Personally I am unconvinced.

Must go - atoms to split, diseases to cure, etc, etc :wink:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby DANL » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:28 pm

Arnereil,

As you can see from my avatar, my trailer is angular. I had a bit of bounce and buffeting when first towing so I increased the tongue weight by moving the wheels back 8 inches. Tows beautifully now.

The top of the trailer extends a few inches above the height of my pickup topper and a bit below the bottom of the truck. I would like to think that the angles on the front help deflect the airflow reasonably well but of course, without wind tunnel testing, no one can really be sure.

By the way... does anyone in the forum know about the aerodynamics of trailers that have the vertical "V" front end? Many utility trailers have this design. I towed a big one down to Natchez last summer and it towed like a dream.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby Jimbo » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:10 pm

So, has anyone completed the original Weekender yet? I love the design and really hope someone does something with it.
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:19 pm

Hey Jimbo,

Not that I know of. You might have to build the prototype!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jimbo » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:24 pm

mikeschn wrote:Hey Jimbo,

Not that I know of. You might have to build the prototype!!!

Mike...

I'm going to print out the layout and head over to my dad's place tomorrow. I have some spare laun so we may lay out a template. If I do, I'll post some pics.
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Jimbo » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:17 pm

Mike,

After showing the wife the Weekender page, she agrees that we want a Weekender. I am going to do up some walls and see how they feel. I am at a point where I can take off my TD walls and go with the Weekender walls so it's now or never. I am thinking of using 1x3s for the framing, with insulation. On the outside, I want to use 1/4" laun on the outside and 1/8 on the inside. Do you have any cad drawings that I can use with Bently View to get some more detail? Also, any more detailed pics of the hatch/galley area on the one you started? I like the idea of a reconfigurable galley like you mentioned. I'm going with the 4x10 design on a 4x8 HF trailer.
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:47 pm

This is the older design with the steeper back end... Have you tried viewing it in Model Press Viewer? Details on Model Press viewer here:
http://www.mikenchell.com

I can get you more pic and more dimensions... just tell me what you need...

You've probably already got the latest detailed print I have... but just in case you don't, it's this one...

Mike...

P.S. What kind of files can BentleyViewer import?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jimbo » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:26 pm

mikeschn wrote:This is the older design with the steeper back end... Have you tried viewing it in Model Press Viewer? Details on Model Press viewer here:

You've probably already got the latest detailed print I have... but just in case you don't, it's this one...

Mike...

I couldn't find any wrl files for the Square Weekender. I did download the program and it's pretty nice!!! Bentley can handle dwg and dgn. I found it from a link on Andrew's site. I use it like the the model press viewer to get sizes and such.
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:01 pm

mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jimbo » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:33 pm

mikeschn wrote:Opps...

Here ya go...

http://www.mikenchell.com/images/weekender.wrl

Mike...

VERY nice!!! Exactly what the doctor ordered.

Thanks... The more I look at this design, the more I like it. I think I'll have to go with the same type of hatch that you prototyped on the 5' one that you started in order to accomidate my refrigerator.
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Jimbo » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:02 pm

mikeschn wrote:This is the older design with the steeper back end... Have you tried viewing it in Model Press Viewer? Details on Model Press viewer here:

Mike...

Mike, I started the Weekender tonight and well, it went miserable. I tried framing up one of the walls and, math has always been a bad subject for me. I couldn't get the angles rights. Do you have any detailed drawings of the cut angles for the wall framing?

On the brighter side, I now have some additional scrap wood for starting campfires. ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:10 pm

Sorry to hear you didn't have any fun cutting the angles... tell you what... it's too late tonight, but tomorrow I'll make you a cut sheet that tells you how to cut your pieces of wood. Okay?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jimbo » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:41 pm

mikeschn wrote:Sorry to hear you didn't have any fun cutting the angles... tell you what... it's too late tonight, but tomorrow I'll make you a cut sheet that tells you how to cut your pieces of wood. Okay?

Mike...

That would be great. I thought about scrapping the insulation idea and just going with 3/4 walls but I really want to insulate the walls. Plus, I just bought a new brad nailer just for the walls to tack the skin on. ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Arne » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:16 am

I would be surprised if you would be happy with an uninsulated trailer. Whether in the heat or cold, insulation helps.

IF I build a second tear, the walls will probably have thicker insulation (I have 3/4 hi-R in mine). Thicker walls add virtually no weight and add considerable comfort. I went with 3/4 insulation as I mistakenly thought firring strips were 3/4" thick and cheap. While they are cheap, they are not 3/4" thick (they are a tad thinner) and this caused me significant trouble while building...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:57 am

Here are the cutting diagrams for the sidewalls of the weekender...

It helps to cut the luan sides first, and then make the furring strips match!

All the furring strips were cut from a 1x8, which has a dimensional thickness of 3/4". That's important if you are going to have 3/4" thick insulation in there. True "furring strips" are thinner than 3/4" as Arne learned! The wall and door framing strips are 1 1/2" wide unless otherwise noted.

It's also important to allow enough time to do these walls. All those little furring strips take time. I think I spent a day on each wall. All the cabinet furring strips are 2 1/4".

I trimmed the wall and door furring strips with a laminate trim bit in my router. I used the luan as my template. That's how you get a nice opening with rounded corners for the doorway.

If you have any questions, just ask!

Mike...

P.S. I don't understand how you plan on using your brad nailer...

I used drywall screws and screwed the furring strips and the luan right to my table. (I removed the screws 24 hours later!)
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs