Congrats, Tom!

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Congrats, Tom!

Postby John T3 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:54 pm

:applause: Congrats to Tom S!! (If you check his website you can see he completed his teardrop a few days ago! www.tomswenson.com/teardrop/index.shtml) As a just-getting-started builder, its great to see what success looks like. And many, many thanks for the in-depth photo-journal of your building process. It has helped me in my planning, and will continue to be a fine resource as I get underway on my own construction. Your a giver. Tom :thumbsup:
John T3
Teardrop Builder

Postby tears&sweat » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:51 pm

Tom S A 1 job! :thumbsup: A big pat on the back :applause: :applause: :applause:
tears&sweat
Teardrop Builder

Postby davel » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:01 pm

Beautiful trailer, great job. I wish I could get mine finished. :applause: :applause:
davel
Donating Member

Postby TomS » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:27 pm

Thanks for the complements folks! Keep plugging away at it and you'll get yours built too,
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Joanne » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:16 am

TomS wrote:Thanks for the complements folks! Keep plugging away at it and you'll get yours built too,

Tom, great build!

Would you send me that post *every* week for the next year or so? I'm hoping to finish my trailer "someday". It's an ever-so-slow process for me. With the exception of a few minor issues along the way, you seemed to breeze right through your build and ended up with a beautiful trailer. Kudos!

So when are you going to start the next one??? :shock:

Your website is a great resource for those considering building their own. Great work on that too.

Envious in Vegas,
Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby TomS » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:28 pm

Joanne,

Thanks for the Kudos

It didn't seem to me like I breezed through it. Some parts of the project moved fast others seemed to drag on forever.

My next TD? I dunno. My daughter got engaged this year. They'll probably get married in two years or so. A teardrop would make a mighty nice wedding present.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby WoodSmith » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:16 pm

Tom, not that it will do you any good on this project (looks great BTW) but an easy way to trace a line 1/4 inch bigger/smaller is to use a flat washer. Find one that has the offset that you need and put the outside against the thing your gonna trace, put the pencil inside the washer and push it against the tracing. Run it around the pattern and there you go.

Lee Valley even sells a kit with differnt size offsets. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=50272&cat=1,42936,50298 (I like Lee Valley!)
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby TomS » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:03 pm

WoodSmith wrote:Tom, not that it will do you any good on this project (looks great BTW) but an easy way to trace a line 1/4 inch bigger/smaller is to use a flat washer. Find one that has the offset that you need and put the outside against the thing your gonna trace, put the pencil inside the washer and push it against the tracing. Run it around the pattern and there you go.

Lee Valley even sells a kit with differnt size offsets. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=50272&cat=1,42936,50298 (I like Lee Valley!)

What an elegant idea! I used the compass method because that is what the Kuffel Creek plans said to do.

Great tip!
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Member Designs