5 x 11' idea with kitchenette inside

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

5 x 11' idea with kitchenette inside

Postby jojofromwi » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:29 am

**I apologize for the sketch being VERY rough. I'll eventually convert my sketch to a CAD program once the hairy details are finalized.

Ideas of mine (keep in mind that I don't have any building experience):
1. I want the door to open to a floor, not a bed.
2. I want the kitchenette to be inside the main cabin.
3. I want to fit a queen size bed in it.
4. Having the bed raised about 5", so the end can be used as seating, with a swing-out tray attached to the wall to be used as a makeshift table. (There'd be storage underneath the bed, when lifted.)
5. Instead of a traditional 4' ceiling, I'd make it 5.5'. (I'm tall, and don't want to feel like I'm slumping over the whole time!)
6. I'd put a skylight over the head of the bed to see the stars at night.

Problems I'm having:
1. Finding a flatbed trailer to meet my 5 x 11 specifications.
2. Making it light enough for my Rav4 to tow.
3. Having the mattress not fit too snuggly, to where putting new sheets on it is a pain.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (233.85 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
jojofromwi
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 5 x 11' idea with kitchenette inside

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:33 pm

Chubby is 5'5" wide by 10' nose to tail and is on a 4x8 Harbor Freight frame. The frame was mashed and I had to modify a bit but ya work with what God gave ya. Cantilevering the support framing front to rear is not a big thing as long as you don't exceed a couple of feet.

You profess to be tall and you have your kitchen inside with a 5'5" ceiling are you going to cook on your knees?

You might rethink the rear galley they are under roof and gain you 16 - 17 inches of standing room.

We camp winter and summer and a popup make a great sun shelter or wind break.

besides everybody gathers in the kitchen......

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby jojofromwi » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:43 pm

Great advice-- thanks! Yes, I'm 5'11 and looked at T@B trailers initially, but even they were not very tall inside. My whole idea with a kitchen indoors was just wanting to cook up a meal without being swarmed by Mosquitos.
jojofromwi
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:46 pm

Just a comment on cooking inside small spaces. Especially in warm to hot weather.

I prefer not to.

By small spaces I include our old 23 foot class C, the even older 10 ft Boler egg, the present 6x12 CT conversion and even our one room 16x30 foot cabin. The interior space heats up very quickly. If boiling water is included the humidity rises as quickly as the temperature. A Fantastic fan helps, but is not a cure-all. I prefer to cook outdoors unless there is a torrential rain or hurricane winds. Then we resort to foods that require minimum heating. That's my opinion for what it is worth. Luckily where we are and tend to go we don't usually have many insects to deal with.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Irmo Atomics » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:40 am

At those dimensions, you might look at rebuilding/restoring a canned ham trailer. They can be found 6'4" wide x 12' long and weighing about 1500 pounds. That's pretty close to what you had in mind.
Bob
Irmo Atomics
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:39 am

Might be an answer $350.00 in Lafayette IN...........

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby jojofromwi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:55 am

bobhenry wrote:Might be an answer $350.00 in Lafayette IN...........

@bobhenry could I get more information on this? I'm not too far from Indiana, and have a trip there in a few weeks.
jojofromwi
Teardrop Inspector

Postby myoung » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:24 am

My trailer is 6 x 11 and has much more than a kitchenette inside. I used a gaucho rather than a queen sized bed, but I suppose you could fit that into a 6 x 11 box without much trouble, except it would be quite a waste of space IMHO.

BTW, my trailer only weighs 1,400 pounds and has standing headroom, so that may be towable by a small crossover SUV.

If interested, have a look at viewtopic.php?f=50&t=40459.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Return to Member Designs