PLEASE Check my design.

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

PLEASE Check my design.

Postby MitchReef » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:46 pm

I have an idea for my first build and am actually moving along with the plan, but thought I would pop up a picture of my profile and see if it looks like a viable design. I wanted to do something a little more unique than the flat up front. I'm planning to skin inside and out with 1/8 ply and I figure it ought to bend for the curves desired. The body will be 5' X 10' at the floor and 5'2" tall. The full frame will be enclosed in the height, as the outside wall panels will skirt to the bottom.

Anyway, here is the profile. Please critique.

gallery/image.php?album_id=3685&image_id=124465
First time Teardrop build, hoping for acceptable end quality!
Here's my Build Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60812
MitchReef
Teardrop Builder

Re: PLEASE Check my design.

Postby KennethW » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:58 pm

The curve in the front may be a little small to get the wood to bend around. Just a thought.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MitchReef » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:05 pm

That's really my only fear. Like I said I am using 1/8 for the skin so I hope it will do the curve I am shooting for. Any input from experience would be greatly appreciated. I could also look into a piece of bending board for that area. I wanted the raked front and a closet space in the front for some hanging stuff. If the curve is too severe I will consider broadening the radius.

Input please?

Thanks,
Mitch
Here's my Build Thread:
MitchReef
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:57 pm

Mitch:

You're thinking out of the box and that's good.

I'm curious about the 5'2" height. The interior of my 'drop is 46" high (minus a 7" mattress) and I have plenty of room to sit up and dress etc. Of course with 5'2" you can't stand up and I'm wondering what you're going to use that extra 14" of ceiling is for?

Also, rolling your bottom front in, you'll lose quite a bit of floor space. Maybe a foot –and 12" is a long ways in a teardrop.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MitchReef » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:41 am

Actually the 5'2" is a bit deceptive. That is the outside height from the bottom of the skirting to the top of the roof. These dimensions actually produce an interior ceiling height of 4'7". I really wish I had an actual teardrop to "fit test". I have only seen pictures.

Regarding the pitch of the front. I'm not taking away floor space, but actually adding space to the cabin beyond my floor dimensions.

I think I need to find some local builds and see a real deal.
Here's my Build Thread:
MitchReef
Teardrop Builder

Postby DrCrash » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 am

MitchReef wrote: I really wish I had an actual teardrop to "fit test". I have only seen pictures.

You need CAD Cardboard aided designed, get some refrigerator boxes and construct a mockup in your living room.
DrCrash
The 300 Club

Postby MitchReef » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:28 pm

Thanks a million Dr. Crash....That's a great idea....just gotta find some refrigerator boxes now!!!

When I first glanced at your message I thought..."great, now I gotta learn how to use CAD!!!! But then I read the rest!
Here's my Build Thread:
MitchReef
Teardrop Builder

Postby MitchReef » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:12 pm

So, what are the feelings about bending 1/8 plywood over a 24 inch radius? If it is impossible or even improbable, then what is a reasonable radius?
Here's my Build Thread:
MitchReef
Teardrop Builder

Postby MitchReef » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:13 pm

Actually make that a 12 inch radius.
Here's my Build Thread:
MitchReef
Teardrop Builder

Postby rowerwet » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:51 pm

there are different types of 1/8" ply, the "wacky wood" has the grain in the plys all going the same way, allowing a much tighter bend, I believe the tightest they expect you can get is 12", good luck
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:28 am

Hey Mitch

There is a teardrop that has the same profile as your design, in the link below. It is longer because of the bike storage but same profile.

TD for 2 with a garage for bikes
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=55299

If your going to cover the TD in a skin there some plywood that fancy contractors use. It is a layer of flexible epoxy and soft wood veneered on both sides. It really bends. It is how curved bank / hotel counters are made. It will need to be skinned some how after bending and is $$$. My little TD had a 18 inch radius and just big box store ⅛ plywood.

I'm not sure what this stuff is called but a new shop here in Wichita Stock it or can order it.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MitchReef » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:35 pm

That is the "bending board" that I mentioned earlier. That's what it's called and it is truly amazing stuff. I found a local plywood wholesaler who lists it but I have not gotten around to calling them yet. I need to see if they have a local retail source that I can use. I don't really even have any idea what it would cost for the front roll either.
Here's my Build Thread:
MitchReef
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:44 am

I like your design! If you use good or better quality 1/8" plywood, you should be able to bend it to your 12" radius.

Sorry for not getting to your post earlier, but I skinned my teardrop in 1/8" (3mm) Russian Birch plywood. This is a standard, good quality plywood (but not as good as Baltic Birch.) It is not a bendy ply.

With persuasion, I was able to get it to bend around the 10" radius at the lower edge of my hatch and rear roll pan.

This is picture of the roll pan. (At the time I had my teardrop flipped upside down on its roof so I could do work on the bottom of the teardrop.)

Here's a finished look of the hatch prior to skinning with aluminum:

I also use the same ply at the lower front roll pan of the teardrop. It has a 6" radius. I will say this is quite a struggle and wouldn't recommend going to that tight of a radius.

I did not pre-bend the plywood or soak it in water prior to bending. The plywood skins are glued into place with PL Premium. You'll see that I used lots of temporary fasteners and wood backers to spread out the pressure of the fasteners. After the glue set, I removed the fasteners and filled the screw holes.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby MitchReef » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:39 pm

I'm very impressed but I believe I am going to get a sheet of 1/8 bending plywood. I have a local lumberyard who will order it in for me for $39 for a sheet and that is more than I will need. Maybe one of the friends I am working with on our tears. But, I just thought about it, I will need some for the inside ceiling panel as well!
Here's my Build Thread:
MitchReef
Teardrop Builder

Return to Member Designs