Any STAR TREK fans on the board?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby Feral XJ-SC » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:24 pm

Star Trek?
Battlestar Galatica? (aka Galatica In Name Only)
Firefly/Serenity?

I think I am on the wrong board... (Certainly under the wrong topic?!)

Any one else "busy" this Friday night? What to you hear, nothing but the rain... I had TIVOed and just watched (again) the second season in anticipition of this Friday. Did you know that second season deleted scenes are online at the sci fi channel, as well as audio commentary by Ron Moore or David Eck(sp) on each episode?

The Galileo teardrop is pretty neat... but if you built it (or properly painted the one that is built) in all its Trek splendor you would be followed around the campground by people in costume.

The Raptor also lends its self to the right shape.... but the Cylon transport, that may be the best... it just looks evil.... but it would pobably not work as a TTT.

I don' think Firefly class would translate well either with that long neck and the cargo door opening to the front, but maybe as a fifth wheel...

No matter how much I get accomplished, I seem to remain two steps removed from begining my TTT. I went to add power to my garage for an appropriate workshop and found a pandora's box of electical issues somebody created before me... other projects sprung up too... Maybe if I spent less time in front of the TV...
Robert
Feral XJ-SC
Donating Member

Postby Lone Wolf » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:19 pm

Would hurrican hinge on side doors opening gull wing style. And what are your thoughts on them. Would like to keep shape of door and making them work opening back to front could be a PITA with the angle of door and sides. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
HAPPY TRAILS
Lone Wolf
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:25 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Would hurricane hinge work on side doors opening gull wing style.

As far as working I wouldn't see why not, the only thing I am unsure of is how far you can rotate them. I know on a truck cap hinge they will only go so far. But I think unless you wanted to open them more than about 20* or 30* past 90 I can't image it should be any problem.

madjack wrote:...along with the graphics and some 6/8"PVC storage pods for nacelle's you would have it goin' on...big time
madjack

I'm thinkin' if you used 12" PVC you could run them from the back to the back of the door and cut them out on the bottom and you would have your fenders. If you were really industrious you could partition the inside of it behind the tire and put a cleanout cap on the back end and have a good size storage compartment.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby mwatters » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:02 pm

Side-opening, yet less than rectangular door:

I had a PlayPac who's door was much as you've drawn for the Galileo trailer. They solved the problem by only hinging the top half of the door. The lower part just came along for the ride. Here's a pic with the door shut, but you can see the hinge pretty clearly.

Mike
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby Lone Wolf » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:13 pm

Mike Yes I could put hinge on top ft. side of door but it would open up at an angle see pic below
And if it going to be wanting to fall shut any way might as well be top open with gas struts.
HAPPY TRAILS
Lone Wolf
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Laredo » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:05 pm

I'd go with the top hinge and a prop, like they use on aircraft.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:16 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Mike Yes I could put hinge on top ft. side of door but it would open up at an angle see pic below
And if it going to be wanting to fall shut any way might as well be top open with gas struts.

Nah, you gotta put a gullwing door on that thing 8) :thumbsup:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby mwatters » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:28 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Mike Yes I could put hinge on top ft. side of door but it would open up at an angle see pic below

My main concern with the gullwing is that you'd be REALLY likely to whack your head into it. Ducking a little to get through a doorway is one thing - but unless it ends up going straight up, that's a lot of ducking.

Also - remember the upper half (2/3ds?) of the shell isn't really vertical - it leans inwards (looking at your front and rear views). That'll help hold it open. No matter how you're hanging however - wind is gonna slam the door. I'd suggest installing a door hold-back to keep it in place. I've put them onto all the conventional trailers I've had. Work great.

Mike
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby Laredo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:59 pm

two words: pocket door

ducks, runs, hears ricochets, dives for cover ...

rolls over behind large bulletproof object and says cautiously,
Or a dutch door that half gullwings up and half drops down as a ramp
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Nytewyng » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:09 pm

Awesome idea... I like it very much , was more a fan of Next Generation but have the comic books from Star Trek up to #25 and have Next Generation comics up to #50 too, Also have a couple of very old large sized Classic Comics Star Trek issues also
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Another closet trekkie

Postby stbuch » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:38 pm

I am a fan but my husband really is. We watch that G-4 all the time and you can watch TNG every night (if you can stand it).

The plan looks great, you could probably make a fortune selling them to trekkies everywhere!!

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup: :applause:
Good grief, isn�t it the weekend yet?
Maybe if I sleep in the camper the week
will pass faster�
stbuch
The 300 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:55 pm

Laredo! that was great :lol: .... then Scout First Class Smith gets it.
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby Laredo » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:42 pm

never post in a red shirt ...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby surveytech » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:10 am

Hey you can drive this one!

surveytech
Donating Member

Postby Archer_1 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:48 am

Whoa!! Whare is *that* located? 8)

Just the thing for a morning commute... :lol:
Everybody enjoys a good pun; its just that nobody has ever heard one!

2003 Camp-Inn 550 Ultra
Archer_1
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs