Planning a NSTTT

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Planning a NSTTT

Postby ag_streak » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:14 pm

Hey gang, I've been lurking, reading, and studying here for some time but just signed up and introduced myself on the New Members forum today. I hope to continue learning from the experts here. I've already gained a ton of knowledge on materials and designs!

I plan to begin building in the spring. My garage was just finished here in Blue Ridge, GA and I'm still busy with multiple projects. If you'd like to see the garage build, it's documented here: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/b ... s.1109260/

Anyway, I plan to build a LARGE tiny trailer, a Not So Tiny Travel Trailer (NSTTT) on a nice heavy-duty 6' x 12' trailer I already own. I wanted plenty of headroom. My parameters and priorities were:

Sleep two
Stand-up headroom
Plenty of storage for motorcycle riding gear
Able to carry a motorcycle
12 VDC batteries, charger, and inverter
Decent insulation for cold weather camping

Here's the trailer I'm using.

I plan on making my own SIP panels by laminating 1/4" luan on both sides of 3/4" foam.

Here's my current design thoughts. I would appreciate any and all feedback!

Building a NSTTT (Not So Tiny Travel Trailer) in N. Georgia
ag_streak
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Planning a NSTTT

Postby kudzu » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:48 am

My NSTTT is about the same size. It has a plenty of room for two people. Your layout looks quite functional without being overcrowded when the table is down. I like it. You'll have lots of storage space. Will the bed platform be hinged?

Looking at your table, I wonder if there is usable space in that back corner for someone to sit comfortably & maneuver in & out. It looks rather tight in the drawing. Is the idea for one person to sit on the bed to eat? For our uses I think I'd prefer a longer, narrower table that encompassed the corner or maybe even two tables. The idea being narrow, abutting tables that hinge along the side wall running from back corner to bed space. Was thinking of it being in two sections so that you could fold one away when not needed to open up more space, still allowing the other to remain in use. Just a thought. Thinking of days with nasty weather that leave you stick in the trailer for hours on end waiting out the storm. In the 15 months I've had my trailer, we've done 90% of our camping in Georgia and it's rained every single trip. Ditto on trips to TN & NC. Usually it's that kind of rain that soaks you even when trying to take shelter under tarps, screen houses or awnings. Of course, that's the main reason I wanted a trailer to begin with. Was getting pretty tired of 100% humidity in a tent.

Wish I had room for bikes on the tongue. We've only brought along the bicycles so far but we've got a motorcycle. Have my motorcycle training classes at the end of the month so I can learn on someone else's bike. :R After that I plan to get my own little motorcycle. Been wanting one for years & now's the time. Your plans make me a little envious.

-- Laura
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby ag_streak » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:46 am

Thanks Laura! Good on you for taking the motorcycle safety course! Don't let a friend, SO, or other "expert" teach you! :)

Yes, I plan on multiple hinged panels on the bed, not just to allow access to storage, but for comfortable lounging and reading sitting up, etc.

I like your suggestions for the table! I have seen designs in tiny houses for narrow flip-up tables where both people sit shoulder-to-shoulder and face the wall. I hope to have a nice window in "front" of that table, so the eating area will have a good view outside. In any case, the exact shape and configuration of the table certainly isn't nailed down yet!

I too lost my taste for tent camping, on a rainy motorcycle trip! :thumbsup:

Thank you for the feedback!
ag_streak
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rowerwet » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:18 pm

How about a triangular table? That way two would be slightly facing each other and the window.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby ag_streak » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:41 am

rowerwet wrote:How about a triangular table? That way two would be slightly facing each other and the window.

Now there's some out-of-the-box thinking! I like it! Thanks!
ag_streak
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Member Designs