Web Page for the Weekender

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:03 pm

Dr. Steve,

Have been working on the garage, so the weekender has been slipping. The wife said we WERE going to work on it next weekend, the galley is almost finished and the hatch is almost done, except for a 4" addition to the bottom and then skinning it. I will try and get some more pictures tomorrow and add them to the photo album.
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

I'm building a weekender too.

Postby cubby_1969 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:55 pm

Mine is modified a bit. I'm insulating it, and making it 5' wide. It's coming along very slowly though. I'm trying to build it with very little money out of pocket. So far, I've only spent about $280, and only about $18 of that has been out of my pocket. I had some birthday and anniversary gifts etc. I helped a friend scrap a pop up and got a sink, stove, & electrical items from that. Now, for windows and hardware. :worship:

Here's a link to my progress:
http://groups.msn.com/aldrichhomepage
Click on the "teardrop build" link on the left.

Duane
Lancaster, PA
cubby_1969
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:04 pm

Duane,
Looks good to me, what did you modifie? Did you see our pictures, we did quite a bit of changing.

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby cubby_1969 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:07 pm

I changed some of the angles a little, and made it 5' wide. I built mine on a boat trailer that had 4' wide axle which gave me 5' to the outside edge of the wheels. Now, the wheels are tucked just under the edge. Because of this, I'm a little higher also, about 20" from ground to frame.

Duane
Lancaster, PA
cubby_1969
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cubby_1969 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:22 pm

Frank wrote:Did you see our pictures, we did quite a bit of changing.

Frank

The only this I saw was a side wall. maybe I looked in the wrong place. I was looking in "Personal Gallery of Frank"

Did I look in the wrong place?
Duane
Lancaster, PA
cubby_1969
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Frank » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:56 pm

Duane,

Yes, we don't have anything in the galley. Haven't learned how to do that yet. Go to http://photos.yahoo.com/merccp then click on Building the weekender. Just posted the latest pictures, showing the changes of the bottom angles and also the drawers in the galley, which are not stained and varneshed yet. Let me know if you have any questions.

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby cubby_1969 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:22 pm

Ah yes, I've been out to your pics many times. I like the new ones. :thumbsup: I was wandering what other people did for a kitchen in these. I had only seen regular tears to use as a guide. I just went with a counter and cabinets above and below. I thought about putting the stove on a drawer, but I'm not that good at carpentry. I'm still looking for very wide moulding to cover my mistakes. Someday I'll be able to afford something more then hand tools. I do have a circular saw, drill, sawsall, and a framing square.

Why did you change the angle. I hope just for looks and not something I'll find out later.

duane
Lancaster, PA
cubby_1969
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Frank » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:37 pm

Duane,

The changes to the angles was my "little darlin wife" :lol: the front was changed twice, once for more room in the lower storage compartment, second time to accomidate the front box on the tounge. The rear was changed so the refrig. door would open, there again giving more accessible storage space.

The only other tool that I use is a table saw, have shaper bits that let me do drawers and doors. Really the rest of the tear is done with what you have. Lots of clamps, glue and screws. :R You can take a straight board, clamp it down to what you want to cut and make as good of a cut with the circular saw as you can with a table saw, just takes a little more time and effort.

As far as misstakes, I make lots of them, so just hang in there, be inventive on the cover ups. " Yes, I ment it to be that way! " :thumbsup: :applause:

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby BigDaddyCool » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:14 am

humm very nice!
BigDaddyCool
Teardrop Advisor

Postby swizz » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:42 pm

:thinking: Has anyone finished a Weekender yet?
I love the concept - but take it that the name no longer applies? lol :)
The build up pics i've seen look promising though. It'd have to be 4x8 for me & insulated. I like the idea of using rigid foam insulation as structure also to give a weight saving.
Swizz...
P.S:- anyone care to critique a website i've just done for the kit car club i'm involved with? Url is: http://jagoownersclub.co.uk/ it's got a way to go, just the bones at the mo' & waiting for feedback off the members for what they would like to see included.
swizz
Teardrop Builder

Postby xe1ufo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:32 pm

Hey swizz: good looking site, and one key you got right is you have webpage content coming up on screen within 10 seconds!
:applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :) :D

But ....
NO TEARDROP LINKS IN YOUR LINKS SECTION?

:thumbdown: :o :( :shock:
Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
xe1ufo
Teardrop Master

Postby swizz » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:24 am

'NO TEARDROP LINKS IN YOUR LINKS SECTION?'

It'll come. We've only seen one in the flesh over here at one of the kit car shows, but i've got an article on the boil for the newsletter so i'll add some once thats gone out. :oops:
swizz
Teardrop Builder

Postby angib » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:00 am

Swizz,

Loads of people will visit the website to find out about Jago products so a section on the various Jago models, what's the difference between them, maybe even strengths and weaknesses (if it doesn't cause fights on club nights), how many made and when, what donor cars, etc, etc would be useful. I know the history section has some of the same info, but not in a convenient form.

Many people expect to click on photos, either to jump to a page about what's in the photo, or just to see a bigger image. Those static montages on the home page are conveniently small files, but they don't encourage a visitor to explore the site further.

And, finally, an explanation why Jago owners should not be considered anti-social just because they fit roo/bull bars to their vehicles would be interesting to read.....

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby swizz » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:02 am

Cheers for that Andrew,

yes the site certainly has some way to go. Re: the small gallery pics - the plan there is to link these to a members own page with more info & pics of their vehicle. The history page is sparse so I suppose it could be linked to pages describing the models in more detail. Time to buy some webspace methinks!

And finally, Bull Bars - you no like? :oops: ? :shock: ? Part of the look I suppose, but as ambassadors for the kit car industry we do tend to drive responsibly which is reflected in our lowered insurance premiums ( Jago is about about two thirds less than my Citroen on insurance ), and then theres the environmental benefit of recycling. Have a trip down to the Harrogate kit-car show next August and i'll get the kettle on - there was even a teardrop there this year ( some guy from up Cleveland way ).

Sorry for hyjacking the thread folks! So, back to my original question - has anyone done a Weekender yet? :D
swizz
Teardrop Builder

weeeeee ken der is born

Postby critter » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:23 pm

ok guys,
deal me in all the way.the floor is complete and in process of being insulated.i built it 5x8 and was going to use 3/4 foam board 2 layers thick so i had moneybags out in the shop cutting and fitting the stuff ,when she got through she says its too thick,...whuddya mean to thick it cant be... but like allways shes right again.now i gotta go get some 1/2 in to finish it.so its going to be 3/4 +1/2 in all the way around.floor roof walls frt &back.it ought to be snug as a bug in a rug.well see
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs