Web Page for the Weekender

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

I took mine out Halloween weekend!!

Postby cubby_1969 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:58 am

I took mine out Halloween weekend!! No, it didn't have any wood on the front, top, or hatch. But I was only going 5 miles up the road to a local private campsite. I used my twin sized air mattress so I would have floor space for my tent heater. I grabbed a spare car battery I had, and charged it up. The battery stayed strong all weekend.

After camping in it before it was done, I'm glad I did. I found a few cold spots where I missed the insulation. It got down to 30 degrees, but not inside.

I don't have the doors done, so I had to use a bungie cord to hold them shut. :lol: All in all, she towed well, was well lit inside and in the galley. The porch lights weren't bright enough though. I used amber marker lights because they were smaller. They were OK, and I may change them later. Everything else seamed to work great :thumbsup:

Now to get the outside covered so I can get out there this spring.

Here's the pics of my build
http://groups.msn.com/aldrichhomepage/t ... build.msnw

Keep buildin' guys
Duane
Lancaster, PA
Lancaster, PA
cubby_1969
Teardrop Inspector

Postby critter » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:52 pm

good job duane,
did you use 2x4 for frame &what size pylwood did you use.im planning on using 15/32 outside on 2x2 frame with a layer of 3/4 & 1/2 foam board and 1/4 in ply inside,,whaddya think.whats going on the outside of yours? im thinkin bout fiberglass on mine :thumbsup:
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby cubby_1969 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:22 pm

Critter,
I used 2X4 frame over the existing boat trailer frame. I used 2X4 ripped down to 2X2 for my studs, and 1/2" ply for the floor and outside walls. For my interior walls, I used 1/4" paneling glued to the studs, and screwed where the the screwheads would be hidden. I put 1" foam in for insulation. I could probably put in another 1/2", but may not due to the added cost.

I plan on using fiberglass / epoxy to cover it, but a coworker says I should use a spray on bed liner material. I'm gonna price it. It would cut out the cost of fiberglass and the auto paint. I think it would be a wash on the cost.

Duane
Lancaster, PA
cubby_1969
Teardrop Inspector

Postby critter » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:31 pm

duane,
looks great,what did you think about the room inside,was it enough lengthways and how far back does your galley start,i guess what im asking is how deep is your galley from rear and how long is the bed area,also did you use the standard 114 in length?
critter

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby cubby_1969 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:11 pm

Critter,

Length wise, I have about 3" extra when using the air mattress. Width wise, my queen mattress fits perfect. My TD is 9 1/2' long and 5' wide. My galley, I don't remember the exact dimension right now, but it's about 20" deep, the a 12" deep cabinet. Then there's the interior cabinet which I made to fit my TV. I can get you exact measurements if you want them. I had done my own drawings, and then found the ones Mike had on this site. Everything was so close to what I had drawn, I just decided to use his drawings since they had been tested and known to work.

http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender/index.html
Great Job Mike!! :applause:

Duane
Lancaster, PA
cubby_1969
Teardrop Inspector

Postby critter » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:53 pm

duane,
cool thanks for info,if you get a chance and its not to much trouble id like to know the distance to the bulkhead from frt or back,also ive had some dealings with sray on bedliners&all will fade and its not covered by warrenty
critter

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby cubby_1969 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:24 am

Critter, I took some quick measurements, and created a drawing. It's not to scale, but here ya go.

http://tinyurl.com/87h9g

Duane
Lancaster, PA
cubby_1969
Teardrop Inspector

Postby critter » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:05 am

duane,
thanks just what i needed,
critter

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby critter » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:20 pm

hey guys,
just posted pics on my gallery of what i have done so far whaddaya think?
critter

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby Wright » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:47 pm

Hey!!! I see progress being made!!! :applause:

one question: Am I seing this right? your glassing the luan(bottom) side of your floor frame? Why? I'm askin cause I don't know... are you doing it in place of the tarry goop I see everybody usin? or in addition?

Wright
:BE Wright

SEMPER FI
Wright
*teardrop schemer

Postby critter » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:59 pm

hey,.
:roll: yup thats the bottom and just concerned about moisture on bottom so im gonna put auto undercoatin on atfer the fiberglass dries just being doubble safe i guess.whuddya think?
critter

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby Wright » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:08 pm

I think it'll work...adding strength as well as 'weather proofing' seems to be a smart thing...but I'm a novice...just added it to my design notebook...probably gonna copy it...If you have any probs with it let me know k?

WRIGHT
:BE Wright

SEMPER FI
Wright
*teardrop schemer

Postby cubby_1969 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:11 pm

Critter, It's looking good!! :thumbsup: Keep up the pace.
Duane
Lancaster, PA
cubby_1969
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:09 pm

Frank just wrote me... He's been busy on the weekender. It's looking good. I thought I would share it with you guys....

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby critter » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:24 pm

frank,
you are my inspiration,looks like you have this thing figured out.love dem pics!
critter

critter
critter
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs