The Eagles Tailgater

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:04 pm

You've got a basic shell to start with. You can pretty much do everything you said, attach a table to the side, use the galley as storage, etc.

Your imagination is the only limit! :shock:

Have fun...

BTW, here's the grid...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:15 pm

I would probably go with a 6x10 trailer, and round off the lower back a little more so that it sits on the end of the trailer...

And while you could paint the thing Eagle Green, I made the trailer white, because it keeps the trailer cool on the inside. A green trailer will turn it into an oven.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby JamesW » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:17 pm

Mike,

It looks good! It reminds me of Mork and Mindy! Do you remember that show?
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Re: one more thing

Postby JamesW » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:22 pm

TAILGATINGnNUT wrote:What type of skin should i be using?
Id liek to paint it eagle green. Possible to use a green aluminum????????

You could cover it in Copper Sheets. This will turn green naturally. :D
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:27 pm

Mork calling Orson? Come in Orson? It's been a while, hasn't it?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby JamesW » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:29 pm

Nannew, Nannew...
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Re: OKKK OKKK KEEP EM COMING

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:46 am

TAILGATINGnNUT wrote: the galley in teh back ends up being more of a storage area.

I think you're missing one of the biggest benefits of the galley. Everything can be set up before you get to the game. To party, you just open the hatch, and voila', you're set up. If it starts raining, no problem, your electronics are protected by the hatch. You could even go one step farther, and set up an "easy up" over the hatch. In my mind, that's where the party is when you have a teardrop. Your thinking on the side is still traditional trailer or traditional RV thinking. We might get you to come around yet!!! :roll:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

hey

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:51 am

Tha may be so at a campground mike but when we tailgate at the palces we go, there would be someone parked right behind the galley, we always party on the side of anyones trialer, I know its not TAILGATING"
Looking to build the ultimate tailgating machine, anyone help me?
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:03 am

Okay, "side"gating it is!!! :popcorn:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Rick R » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:23 pm

Heat gain would hardly a problem with a tailgating TD, as it will be most heavily used in cool and cold weather. More likely you would want to generate all the heat you can!
Rick R
Teardrop Builder

Just what I'm looking for!

Postby Tear Dreamer » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:06 am

Mike and everyone else, Thanks for such a cool and awesome forum!

I have been dreaming about building some type of Teardrop for a couple years now. I always liked the Maxitear, but it seemed too complex for me. This tailgater is just the type of thing I was looking for! Mike, Do you plan on having any detailed plans available? I would be very interested in studying every detail of this thing. I actually don't need the TV, I would be interested in putting a lazy susan in the opening and putting my laptop there which will play my DVD's. I can then rotate the PC for inside or outside viewing. Can you provide any suggestions for an A/C in this configuration? Thanks a bunch!

David
Tear Dreamer
Teardrop Builder

One more question...

Postby Tear Dreamer » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:15 am

Like my favorite detective, Columbo...ahh...sir...just one more question....would the tailgater have wheel wells or would it have the wheels sticking out on either side with fenders?
Tear Dreamer
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:22 am

Hi David,

The Tailgater is just a concept, no plans for it exist. I did post a grid of the profile, a few messages up. Beyond that, it's pretty much standard construction...

You could use solid plywood walls, see Steve Fredrick's page for how he did that.

Then you just attach a bunch of stringers and 1/8" plywood, inside and out.

I have a complete photo album of my construction, which is done the same way...
http://www.mikenchell.com/live/index-frame.html

Will that get you started?

Mike...

P.S. For the a/c, put it in the galley, right next to your laptop... my photo album details that too! :)
mikeschn
Site Admin

WOW! Quick Response!

Postby Tear Dreamer » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:02 am

Mike, Thanks! That was a quick response! With regards to the A/C...would that be low...on the deck? Either way, how do you handle the condensation?

Thanks!
Tear Dreamer
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:05 am

You could go either low, or at the same level as the tv. I'd try the later first.

Then run a hose thru the floor for the condensation.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Member Designs