Ultralight Design?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby TinKicker » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:42 pm

I had thought about the doors because of the "building block" feel to them. It'd be nice to go to your nearest camping supply outlet and pick up modular pieces, like Legos, and just plug and play yourself into a camper. But noooooo.....I've actually got to learn a skill in order to do this! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:57 pm

So Miriam, are you getting itchy to start on the Ultralight?

Just think, you'll be able to to it with that small car of yours... ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:01 pm

mikeschn wrote:So Miriam, are you getting itchy to start on the Ultralight?

Mike...

Ladies do not get "itchy" :lol: :lol: 8)

So wasn't it fir you framed that with? When are you guys coming down? :twisted:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:03 pm

There are no plans yet, but with Chell's mom's health, I suspect we'll be visiting this summer. I've got to start thinking about how I am going to transport this thing to you... :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:46 pm

Wow! I think I will scout out some campgrounds :twisted: :R Some of those South of Springfield got flooded out. The KOA was a seriously noisy place.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:55 pm

Sounds good. Let me know what you find.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bg » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:56 am

mikeschn wrote:I think I still have that drawing. Let me look tonight...

Mike...

Any chance you ever found that drawing, Mike?
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Finally got Towing info from VW for a GTI 180-T

Postby S D Parish » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:40 pm

As strange as life is, it took me 2 1/2 Months to get a answer to my question @ VolksWagen.
A Trailer with brakes: 1000 Lbs Max
A Trailer with out brakes: 1000 Max
Tongue load _____________: 200 Lbs Max

A little late, I became so discusted with VW, I sold the GTI, and Bought a Toyota Tundra, Now there is no
sweat about what I can tow.
This info had to come from the Office of the president of VW of America, Stefan Jacoby himself.

The Germans can be very annal.

sd Parish
S D Parish
Teardrop Inspector

Postby deserthawk » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:28 am

Mike,

I don't know how I failed to see this thread the first time around. I superimposed your drawing over my rendition of the Ultra Lite Mod/Cub and the resemblance is uncanny :shock:

My version is just a bit lower and using very tall 15" wheels. I have been doing the math and am pretty sure that this build can be put together in under 400 pounds if the frame is constructed of welded aluminum and the interior wood facade is kept thin. In my design the sleeping compartment goes all the way to the aft wall and the battery box is moved to the cabinet area to give more leg room and also to help balance the load. A 60 pound deep cycle battery can throw the whole weight ratio off when you're dealing with a 400 pound trailer. I am so excited about this build, I am actually working in 108 degree temperatures to get er done.
NEW - ITG Photos 2009
http://www.emuranch.com/ft/itg/galleryitg.cfm

IRG Photos 2008 http://www.emuranch.com/ft/irg/galleryirg.cfm

"It's not where you are that counts....It's where you're at." Full Time Teardroper 810 Continuous Days living out of my TD as of 8/15/2010
deserthawk
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:12 pm

:lol: Deserthawk,

You did a nice profile! ;)

I'll be watching that build!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:23 pm

I've added some plans to the Design Library for a chassis to suit the Ultralight or any other small light trailer:
Chassis for the Ultralight

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Light coil-over shock chassis for ultralight teardrop

Postby wattsworth » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:47 pm

Here's an ultralight trailer chassis that would work nicely for a very light teardrop. Its complete with an axle triangle like a Ford Model T, adjustable coil-over shocks with damping (from a motorcycle), and a Panhard rod to locate the axle properly. A very smooth ride. Instead of trying to describe it, I built: Image
... the wood bar is for temporary lights to drive it home legally.
wattsworth
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Light coil-over shock chassis for ultralight teardrop

Postby del » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:26 pm

wattsworth wrote:Here's an ultralight trailer chassis that would work nicely for a very light teardrop. Its complete with an axle triangle like a Ford Model T, adjustable coil-over shocks with damping (from a motorcycle), and a Panhard rod to locate the axle properly. A very smooth ride. Instead of trying to describe it, I built: Image
... the wood bar is for temporary lights to drive it home legally.
First off welcome wattsworth. Any idea how much it weights, and a better pic of the front pivot, perhaps.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby wattsworth » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:51 am

The total weight of this frame & suspension design in ultralight teardrop size would be about 200# using 12" wheels, schedule 40 pipe, and 3/16" wall 2x3" square tube for the frame. What can I say, I overbuild things and like safety factors over 4 above yield to account for fatigue and any other loads I forgot. I'm also quite particular about quality full-penetration welds and fully closing the tubes via welding to ensure no moist air can condense inside the frame and start rust from the inside out ... where you can't see it doing its damage.

Certainly using drawn over mandrel (DOM) tube and thinner square tube would save perhaps 40# -- and add a lot of TIG welding. If I had the TIG stuff, I'd think about 4130 aircraft tubing. But, I'm limited to stick welding at the moment and build accordingly.

The forward axle connection to the tongue (apex of axle triangle) is a 1/2" tie-rod end between two brackets so the anchoring bolt is in double-shear. The tie-rod end is threaded into a rod at the apex of the axle triangle. Yes, I have a lathe to turn such items, but resort to a hand tap for the last bit.

The as-built trailer in the picture is destined for an enclosed trailer for a couple of very special bicycles (velomobiles) my dad wanted. I built the trailer ... he will build the box. It has a 10' tongue and is 68" between the coil-over towers. It tips the scales at 212# as pictured -- about half of that is unsprung axle, wheels, & hubs.

This design would be about 10% lighter than the Harbor Feight trailer option, despite the large safety factors and fairly thick-wall tubes. It also has adjustable suspension intended for lighter loads, and shock absorbers. At the end of the suspension travel there are rubber bumpers too.

Now, on to my light teardrop build....
wattsworth
Teardrop Inspector

Postby oldtamiyaphile » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:56 am

While looking through some 4wd magazines, I came across and ultra light folding alloy boat trailer, 84lbs ready to tow!

http://www.almactrailers.com.au/

Note that it has no suspension and is limted to about 50mph (the Australian towing speed limit). Still, their design might help someone building a true ultra light.
oldtamiyaphile
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs