Ultralight Design?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby mikeschn » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:24 pm

BG,

You don't know all the fun you are going to miss not having a hatch...

Here is another pic for you...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:37 pm

Mitheral wrote:If I go with a variation of the ultra light design I've given thought to vacuum bagging the floor, walls and hatch. I've even got the pump sitting under my workbench though it might be better on this project to just use a shop vac.

I was gonna bag my walls using heavy plastic and rope caulk. I heard/read about using a shopvac somewhere on the net. I was wondering if the shop vac would overheat. It doesn't like getting stopped up, hooking it to the bag is pretty much the same as stoppping it up, it would have to stay like that the entire time the layup cures.

If you try it, keep us posted.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:34 pm

Good Evening.

That is going to be a good looking tear. Will a slim cooler fit in the galley?

Miriam
:miriams:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby bg » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:06 am

Mike,

I guess It's a matter of perspective, Most of the time I'll be the guy running late enough to not feel like cooking when I get there and grab a hamburger from the campground's store or from a nearby Fast food joint. I'll be traveling alone 90% of the time, and whenever I'm not my habirs probably won't change.

What you have planned as a galley I plan to use for a storage space.

Neighbor has a buddy that can't believe that I can cold form that strap steel, He thought I was using a machine to bend it.

Building in steel is *very* labor intensive, but is pleasing to me. Add into that I have the right tools for the job, and it makes it that much easier. At various points I've had as many as 24 clamps in use, Nothing in comparison to what some boatbuilders use, but most people don't even own more than 10 clamps.

I'm going to upholster the walls and ceiling, I think that will present the best 'budget' apperance. Now, to decide on a theme.

Andrew,

Your silence towards my implementation of the design is almost unnerving to me.. But then again maybe you're just figuring that I know what I'm doing. Curious as to if you have any thoughts on what I'm doing.

(If this post doesn't flow correctly, Well, I'm tired, and It made sense to me)
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:25 am

Miriam C. wrote:Good Evening.

That is going to be a good looking tear. Will a slim cooler fit in the galley?

Miriam
:miriams:

No, the door into the storage area is only 6" wide.

You're better off planning to put a regular cooler on the tongue. Of course you'll need a longer tongue, and you'll have to mount something on the tongue to hold the cooler.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:49 am

asianflava wrote:I was gonna bag my walls using heavy plastic and rope caulk. I heard/read about using a shopvac somewhere on the net. I was wondering if the shop vac would overheat.

Most users of vacuum bags use a shop vac to do the first pull down of the bag - a vac pump doesn't shift enough air to get this done in a reasonable time.

I have heard of people using shop vacs as low-tech vac pumps, with the shop vac surviving, but I've never seen any guidance on which sorts survive and I've never spoken to anyone who has done it.

I find it hard to believe - isn't the cooling air for the fan motor the same air that's just been sucked through the filter? So a stalled suction means no cooling air?

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby angib » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:58 am

bg wrote:Andrew,

Your silence towards my implementation of the design is almost unnerving to me.. But then again maybe you're just figuring that I know what I'm doing. Curious as to if you have any thoughts on what I'm doing.

Hey, I'm sorry about that.

I'm just watching to see how you're going to do it - there are several bits I can't work out, but you haven't done them yet, so I don't know if you have a plan for them or not.

Like everyone else, I think, mostly I'm just amazed about how fast it's going so far.

And of course, like madjack loves the photos, I loves the light weight......

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Chip » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:26 am

Mike,, looking at your latest photo above, its real similar to the pickle other than shape,, All the cubbords, access to the storage area, etc, etc, are just about the same,,, now my frame is another 40 lbs but thats the main difference,, I am gonna try to get over some scales to get the weight on my trailer soon,, I am interested to see what difference the frame vrs no frame makes,,,,

looking real good there Mikey :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Mitheral » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:22 am

angib wrote:I have heard of people using shop vacs as low-tech vac pumps, with the shop vac surviving, but I've never seen any guidance on which sorts survive and I've never spoken to anyone who has done it.

I find it hard to believe - isn't the cooling air for the fan motor the same air that's just been sucked through the filter? So a stalled suction means no cooling air?

From what I've read you can get away with using a shop vac for panel work like this if you take the precaution of intoducing a vacuum bleed between your bag and shopvac. It doesn't have to be much, a 1/4 hole is enough to provide cooling air.

You get away with the bleed not affecting your results much because of the large area of the panel. Even a few inches of vacuum results in a couple pounds per square inch applied to the panel. On a 4X8 panel 3 psi = ~14K pounds applied over the surface of the panel, the equivelent of 1400 gallons (6350 litres) of water.

That seems like a lot, somebody check my math:
4'X8'=32 sq feet
*144 sq in/sq ft=4608 sq in
*3 lbs/sq in= 13824 lbs
*.4526 lbs/kg = 6350kgs = 6350litres of water
*.2199 gallons/litre=~1400 gal of water.

Anyways assuming the number is correct 1400 gallons is about what will come out of your average garden hose in 1.5-2 hrs.

This is at sea level, at my place (about 1100m) it is going to be a bit less.

And of course there are vacuums, like Kirbys, that aren't cooled by the air stream of the vacuum.
Mitheral
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:42 pm

That could be an option, I have an old Kirby out in the shed. I bought it for $35 when I moved into my first apartment by myself. Even though it is old, it runs like a champ.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bg » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:06 pm

angib wrote:Hey, I'm sorry about that.

I'm just watching to see how you're going to do it - there are several bits I can't work out, but you haven't done them yet, so I don't know if you have a plan for them or not.

Like everyone else, I think, mostly I'm just amazed about how fast it's going so far.

And of course, like madjack loves the photos, I loves the light weight......

Andrew

There are several bit's i'm not sure about either. I spent this morning tinkering with Julie's trailer, as well as finish welding on the ultralight

Fire away at any questions you have. I'm going to go pickup some primer and paint, and try to get these things a little bit more rustproof for tonight.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:27 pm

BG,

Here's another view of the galley on the Ultralight... are you sure we can't interest you in a galley... What if I replace the camping stove with a microwave? :wink:

Mike...

P.S. I just got a calendar from my truck place... :beautiful: what if I hung that in the galley for you...?
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bg » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:50 pm

Microwave? :o

Anyhow, Here's what my undercarraige will look like

Excuse the crappy cad drawing, the free version of CadStd won't even give me the angles that I need to know.

Can you by chance measure the center of those 12" HF wheels and tell me how wide of a hub will fit?

I'll be right under 300 lbs after I get the skin and undercarraige on. That doggone heavy axle is my biggest downfall.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:08 pm

Sure BG,

I looks like they've got a 2 1/2" hub stuck in there, and not much room for anything more...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bg » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:08 pm

Oddly, the hub on the 3500 lb axle I plan to use is 2.5" as well.

Thanks.

I'll be taking tommorrow off from the teardrop, to clean the garage where I can stuff atleast one trailer in there.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs