Ultralight Design?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby Chip » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:30 pm

Mike,, does this look similar???????????

chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bg » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:04 am

Alright, So I just had an idea about the hatch, It'd be small, but I certainly have the metal to do it. I'll play with it in the morning.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby raru » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:36 am

is it possible to have a full hatch like a cub, or is necessary to keep it as is for rigidity? that would probably be the only variation i would try to do...
Raul
raru
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:57 am

Chip wrote:Mike,, does this look similar???????????

chipper

Dang Chip, you're reading my mind. It's very similar. In fact, the Ultralight is about to become even more similar, as I have to make my kitchen cabinets smaller, so that I can open the doors. (The stove is in the way. )

Nice design you got there Chip! :wink:

Mike...

P.S. How big is your lid into the storage area?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:00 am

bg wrote:Alright, So I just had an idea about the hatch, It'd be small, but I certainly have the metal to do it. I'll play with it in the morning.

Would that galley be big enough for a microwave oven?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:04 am

raru wrote:is it possible to have a full hatch like a cub, or is necessary to keep it as is for rigidity? that would probably be the only variation i would try to do...

Oh sure, you could bring the hatch all the way down to the floor. But you're going to give up a lot of storage space if you do it that way...

Instead of being able to fill up the area under the access lid with lots of stuff, you'll only be able to store stuff that fits on a 5" ledge, and that stuff will have to be able to stand on it's own, while you get the hatch closed.

Oh yes, you could build some fancy cabinets that angle out from the bottom, but now you are not ultralight any more...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:48 am

BG,

Here's another option for you. I replaced the campstove with a microwave. Now you just need to fill your cooler with hamburgers, to warm up in there.

Good thing you got power at that campground! :Flippin Burger:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Interior Shelf

Postby Guy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:26 am

Dear Mike,

You have really come some way on the Ultralight since Monday. WOW.

One question I have regards the interior shelf.

Does the shelf encroach upon the interior space to such a degree as to cause two people discomfort when sitting up against the sides?

How do you like that for a lawyer's question?

The reason I ask, Mike, is that due to the curve at the front, you do not have a comfortable way to sit up. Therefore ,if you are taking any refuge from inclement weather, sitting comfortably against the sides would come in handy.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:39 am

Hi Guy,

Sorry I can't answer your question in legal-ese... Would you settle for design-ese?

There's about 19" of wall space from the door opening to the interior cabinet. That not really a whole lot of room to lean against. You might rather consider leaning against the door, if you must lean against a flat surface.

I think if you had the right cushions or pillows, leaning against the curved front part would be more comfortable.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Mike, What CAD program are you using?

Postby Guy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:08 pm

Dear Mike,

Mike, What CAD program are you using? Your drawing are very good.
Regards,

Guy
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Mike, What CAD program are you using?

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:11 pm

Guy wrote:Dear Mike,

Mike, What CAD program are you using? Your drawing are very good.

IronCAD of course...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Have you posted the file

Postby Guy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:20 pm

Dear Mike,

Have you or would you posted the file so that we can play with it and learn that program?
Regards,

Guy
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bg » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:28 pm

Mike,

I was playing around, and I can add a hatch, but it'll involve reframing that portion of the tear since i've already done final welding across those supports. At this point, I'm going to take a few days off to make sure I don't screw anything up. That, and to let my hand recover from touching a weld that hadn't cooled yet.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby Chip » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:16 pm

Mike,, I am not sure the exact size of the hatch opening in the counter top,, its about 22x10 give or take,, Ill measure tonight and let ya know,,

I also raised my cabnets up and without a tv it gives me storage and a place for ecect panel, switches, and a cd, am/fm player,,

actually with the under counter storage I got plenty of room especially with the two storage cabnets in the galley bulkhead,, right now I have about 9 lbs of taters in a 10 lb sack

chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:08 pm

The rough framing is going to look like this...

Then I'll use a router to cut it down...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs