New guy here, looking for encouragement

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

New guy here, looking for encouragement

Postby subtearanean » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:32 pm

New wannabe builder here, here's some background info:

Saw my first, and only, Tear some 12 years ago at a Bluegrass camp out / concert. I was in the process of setting up my tent, cooking area, etc when this guy pulls up with something I had never seen before, gets out of his car, walks around the back of the trailer, opens the hatch and there lo and behold is a complete kitchen. He opened a cooler, quickly made a sandwich, grabbed a cold drink, then went off to the music. Seemed like all of this was accomplished in under 3 minutes.

I was still trying to figure out which tent pole went where.......

Over time I forgot about that whole scene until about a year ago or so. Ran across some Tears while I was researching homebuilt kayaks and canoes on the web. The spark quickly ignited.

Over the past year I've been lurking in the forums, finding websites, devising my own plans for construction, costing out materials, etc. I'm drawn to the Cub/Modernistic style for the 'classic" look, the streamline effect that it gives. Grant was kind enough to supply multiple templates some months ago for the 8 foot Cub, 10 foot Cub, and the BenRoy. I've settled on the 8 foot Cub and passed along the other 2 templates to another new builder.

My goal is to build as lightweight a Tear as possible. My tow vehicle has a max unbraked rating of 1100 pounds or so. I'd like to stay below 500 pounds.

I was fortunate to run into Angib's site quite some time ago, just about when he added the resource for "THE CUB/MODERNAIRE/MODERNISTIC SHAPE - And Why It Is So Wonderful" (http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear26.htm). He answered all of my questions as to how to get the correct curves etc. Then he loaded up the "SUPERLEGGERA TEARDROP TRAILER" (http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear32.htm) info, that got me thinking on the way to build a lightweight chassis. He was the one that fanned that spark. I pass my thanks to him now.

As I'd like to go as lightweight as possible, I'm considering setting up a jig so as to build the side panel frames out of 1/4" X 7/8" pine, steamed, bent then laminated so the finished dimension would be 3/4" X 7/8". The 1/4 X 7/8 stock is available locally for about $0.45 per foot, each side costing no more than $35.00 or so, not including the cost of the jig setup. This site may explain a little better, look at the animated gif. http://www.jpjennings.com/home/TeardropTrailer/tdtrailer.htm It looks like they used joinery to piece the frame together though.

Exterior skin to be 1/8" masonite @7.00 per sheet. Masonite to be used for exterior roof also. I imagine 4 sheets should cover the entire? Early tears were masonite with oil paint, with either an aluminum skin or epoxy paint I imagine I could get long use of this type of construction.

Inside walls left "open" to be filled with upholstered foam panels. Will insulate and keep the weight down, I think.

Simple galley in the rear, with only the essentials. Chance to modify it at a later time depending on the construction methods used to join the interior panels to the walls.

Wheels to be of the same type as on the tow vehicle, 15" (no spare needed). I'd like to use rubber torsion axle setup not only for the stability but for the ability to "drop" the Tear as low as possible. Bolt pattern on the wheels is 4X100 (import car). Are axles with hubs readily available as such? I've been unable to find one as yet.

Floor of trailer; would a 1/2" sheet provide enough strength using a chassis such as the one depicted in the SuperLeggera? Again, I'd like to save on weight as much as possible.

Electrical to be minimal, easily accomplished with the "open" interior walls.

The trailer would not get extreme use, no off road, more than likely just improved campsite areas. More than likely garaged during winter months.

Have I made myself enough of a nuisance yet?

All feedback will be greatly appreciated.

And again, much thanks to Grant and Anjib for the inspiration.

JC
subtearanean
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:06 pm

Well hey JC,

Welcome to the forum. You'll get plenty of encouragement, inspiration or anything else you want here. Just check back often! Many users read the board morning, noon and night! :wink:

It sounds like you have already done the legwork and know what you'd like. And I'm sure it's possible to have the lightweight trailer that you want, I'm not sure that it'll be under 500 pounds though.

I'm building a Weekender, with the intent of making it light enough to pull behind my Jetta. It looks like the frame is going to be 184 pounds,
the axle 48 pounds, and the body, maybe 300 pounds. So I'm already at 532#, and I haven't even added in the wheels, the tires, or any of the hardware.

There are currently a couple threads going that may be of interest to you, concerning building up laminated foam panels. Rik Keller also has a lot of information on that on his website. You can find his website by clicking his name in the memberlist.

While at Mystic I talked to Brian& Stacey, and John & Michelle about their modernistic's. They were very light weight, between 300 and 400#. And the tongue couldn't have been much more than 50#. But it was all aluminum construction... The aluminum side walls were rolled on the edges, and the roof skin was just pop-riveted to the side walls. There was some bracing on the inside, but not much. That's how they kept the weight down.

I wonder if you could do something similar with dead soft aluminum angle for the edges, and skin and roof with 4x10 luan and pop-rivets? Just a thought.

Anyways, post often, and you'll get lots of whatever you're looking for! :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RC » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:46 pm

Welcome JC.

Andrew, (Angib), is really something isn't he? He has helped me in designing what I hope to build also.

Good luck on your project. One thing is for sure, you will get all kinds of encouragemnet here, and a lot of helpful ideas too.

I hope to see you more on the forum.

RC
It worked until I fixed it!!!
RC
Teardrop Master

Postby Shrug53 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:55 pm

No, no encouragement here. We are all a bunch of curmudgeons!

Here, wait... ahem... grumble grumble... dern whippersnappers!

Signed,

Crotchety old man

(nah just teasing, we love to help) :lol:
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby subtearanean » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:33 pm

subtearanean
Teardrop Master

Return to Member Designs