Ultralight Construction...

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Good for you

Postby Guy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:39 pm

Dear Mike,

Good for you. A great deaal of progress after a little setback. And you get to add a new tool and clamps. Almost sounds like you blew it on purpose.
:twisted:
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PaulC » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:47 pm

Okay you Bunch, Now you've got me intrigued. What the heck is the deal with this laminated method and where do I go to get more info?
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:40 pm

LOL.... Paul, just when you think you settled on something, something else comes along.

I used this page as a starting point...
http://www.teardrops.us/userfiles/33/te ... anean.html

But I used smaller dowels, no sandpaper, and thinner strips of wood. The offset hole is definitely a winner.

I will end up with 12 layers of lamination, cause the Ultralight has 1 1/2" ribs thru and thru...

Hope that helps...

Mike...

P.S. Guy, no, I definitely did not do that on purpose...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:13 pm

Mike, Thanks for that. Dead right with "and then something else comes along" :) It is mentioned on that page that no offroading is contemplated.
Can you foresee any potential probs if this was used in an offroad construction? My thoughts are that by using extra uprights you should be able to gain some integral strength. Remember that my existing trailer comes in at about 1200#.
Cheers
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:18 pm

A lot of the strength comes from the walls. If you are planning on off roading with it, I would start by making the doors smaller.

Maybe the framing has to be thicker... instead of 3/4" maybe 1"?

I would probably use the longer tongue...

Hopefully Andrew chips in here...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:49 pm

Time to get out and make a table by the looks of it! I know that I will have to make everything bigger/stronger, so 1" it will be. The longer tongue will have a detrimental effect on entry/departure angles, so I will have to think about that one. Also, the longer tongue will affect the tracking in that it will want to cut corners. That is one of the problems that manufacturers over here have not addressed at this stage. They work on the principle of cramming everything possible in, on or over their trailers.
Cheers
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:05 pm

Actually, when I said longer, I meant this...

Instead of this...

Mike...

P.S. Still waiting for Andrew to chip in...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:15 pm

Okay Mike, so I suffered one of those brain thingies( :gas: ) After I posted I realised what you meant :oops: Jeez you're quick with those pics :shock:

Cheers

PS Has anybody seen Andrew today. :designing:
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby angib » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:23 pm

mikeschn wrote:P.S. Still waiting for Andrew to chip in...

Sheesh. You go out to a concert one night a year and everyone complains.....

I'm not sure whether Mike and Paul are even talking about the same subject or, if so, what the subject is.

If it's a laminated frame for the edge of the side walls, I can't see that this is massively loaded, so if it's big enough to work with, it's strong enough. The thing I haven't yet worked out is how the roof beams are going to be attached to it.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:28 pm

angib wrote:
mikeschn wrote:P.S. Still waiting for Andrew to chip in...

Sheesh. You go out to a concert one night a year and everyone complains.....

I'm not sure whether Mike and Paul are even talking about the same subject or, if so, what the subject is.

If it's a laminated frame for the edge of the side walls, I can't see that this is massively loaded, so if it's big enough to work with, it's strong enough. The thing I haven't yet worked out is how the roof beams are going to be attached to it.

Andrew

...how about a joist hanger...an appropriate sized ready made probably doen't exist but using some angle brackets would work out...a little glue and you shouldbe good to go...would that work????
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:32 pm

angib wrote:Sheesh. You go out to a concert one night a year and everyone complains.....

Andrew

Thanks Andrew.
The subject is lightweight offroad. If it means starting another thread, I can do that.
And I will leave the roof beams to Mike.
Cheers
PS Did you enjoy the concert?
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:10 pm

Yea Andrew,

The subject is, "Is the Ultralight strong enough to go off road, and if not, how would you beef it up?"

My suggestions were:
smaller doors
thicker framing
longer tongue (under the teardrop)

and here's a new one... thicker luan on the sidewalls

What do you think?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:21 pm

BTW, I've had enough for one day... success sure is inspiring and motivating, isn't it? :banana:

Anyways, here's what the laminated profile looks like at this point... I'll have to sand it down with the random orbital sander... When the roof skins are on (two layers of 1/8" luan) the total thickness will be 1 1/2".

You know, I've heard people talk about laminated frames before, and they always made the comment that the frames are incredibly strong. Well I'm here today to tell you, they are right. You have to build one, and try to flex it to get a true appreciation for how strong this thing is... This will forever change the way I think about teardrops...

BTW, I had fun doing this laminated frame. My feet are not happy with me right now, but tough... I like the way this turned out...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:28 pm

Mike,

Looking good there!!! More pics? :)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:32 pm

Kerry,

I take it you've already seen these and you want more?
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 9376#89376

I'll see what I can do for you tomorrow...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs