Ultralight Construction...

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby angib » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:31 pm

mikeschn wrote:Originally I planned on making this a 4' wide teardrop... now I'm wondering if it can be turned into a 5' model. Any thoughts?

I can't see any reason why not.

I'm just working at the moment on a 5 foot wide ultralight to be towed by a motorcycle and will post that when it's done.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby dwgriff1 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:32 pm

Mike, I took your profile, made it frameless and 5' wide and it worked like a dream.

My total weight was more than you estimated, but I insulated and lined everything -- even the hatch and the bulkheads.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:37 pm

Good looking build Dave,

No wonder you are heavier... you have double walls and framing... I have a single thickness of plywood.

I need to get er done so I can go and get it weighed...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:09 pm

Mike it's been 3 months since you last posted pics on this section of the board. I was wondering if you are still working on your lightweight, and if so, how about some more shots of the progress. I am curious to know how much it will weigh when it is finished. That laminating process that you are into sure is interesting, and I am constantly amazed what can be done with wood when good planning and proper tools are utilized.

Roly, hoping to bring the 1/4 Nelson Stacker to Minden in June
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Mike...Mike?

Postby Gunnerp245 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:05 pm

This is not the end ... is it?

Gunner... :(
Gunnerp245
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Minicamper42 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:02 am

I have been following with great interest :applause: ...I like your building techniques and am going to do similar construction when I start on my build...I have a ideal for another lightweight, high strength perlam if your interested :thinking: ...my design is similar to the I-joists they use to construct floor joists on a two story building.

It's a fact that laminated wood is far stronger then a piece of stock by itself of the same dimention :roll: ...my ideal is to use 3/8" ply cut at your desired width, maybe 3/4" or 1"...then cut 1/4" ply at 5/8" width...then walk over to your router table and notch a 1/4" groove right down the center of the 3/8" ply...once both of the 3/8" pieces are notched 1/3 of the way through, you will need a straight line jig for the next step to keep your joist straight and true...use your tightbond III and set the 1/4" ply in the groove making sure the 3/8" ply is flat on your table and clamp until dry...I wish I can do a drawing to show you :(

This build technique will yeild a very strong yet light perlam to go with your build, and if one wishes to use them as wall joists, well that will work too...I wish you luck on your build and look forward to many more pics.
Mini 4-2
I wish I had a million bucks
Minicamper42
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Member Designs