Traveling landscape painter wagon

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Traveling landscape painter wagon

Postby Paintsalot » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:55 pm

I’m close to starting a build. I was originally planning a folding Vardo, but I decided it was too complex and am going for something simpler.

Here are my current sketches. It’s kind of a swoop cargo tear with double rear doors.
I have already built a Stirling 5x8 galvalume chassis. The main goal is to have somewhere to sleep when I go on landscape painting trips across the south USA. I paint out in nature in “plein air”.
Let me know if you have suggestions.

Design criteria: under 1000 lbs, room for two, somewhat aerodynamic, $5k limit, simple kitchen area, minimal electrical, environmentally friendly materials, ability to haul paintings, fairly fast build if possible.
Most of the time I will carry my paintings in my car; because I use solvents, I don’t want to sleep next to the paintings. But if I have an art show and I need to hold 40 paintings, it might become useful.

The axle on the Stirling trailer is pretty far forward. It’s at 42.8 inches from the back. 45/55 ratio. I don’t want to move it. So I may need to put some of the heavier items towards the front like the air conditioner or maybe side doors or I could store the cooler on a tongue rack.
For this reason, I’m keeping the galley, super simple, just a few shelves and dividers, as light as possible.

Optional side door:

Section (longitudinal). Has about 54 inches clear headroom in middle. Bed can be raised with storage below. I’m tall, so sitting up like this would be nice.

Cedar double doors

3 plan options. Galley is minimal.
Option one has the bed at the side, and acts as a couch in the daytime.

Simpler version that goes with plan 3.

Thanks for any input. The last question I’m trying to resolve is whether to use t&g cedar siding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paintsalot
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Traveling landscape painter wagon

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:36 pm

The rear bulkhead in a traditional teardrop acts as a sheer wall and is an important structural element. The countertop--properly installed--also is structural in that it ties the walls together almost all the way to the rear.

Something to consider.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Traveling landscape painter wagon

Postby Paintsalot » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:20 am

tony.latham wrote:The rear bulkhead in a traditional teardrop acts as a sheer wall and is an important structural element. The countertop--properly installed--also is structural in that it ties the walls together almost all the way to the rear.

Something to consider.

Tony
Thanks for the feedback Tony. I‘ll give this some thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paintsalot
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Member Designs