2 x 4 Frame????

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

2 x 4 Frame????

Postby Eagle » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:50 am

What do you think of a TD frame of 2 x 4's with the tongue made from a 4 x 4 or two 2 x 4's glued/bolted together?

Thought it would be easy to put together and with the roof "goo" it should last a long time.

TIA,

Eagle
Eagle
Teardrop Advisor

Re: 2 x 4 Frame????

Postby Jimbo » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:46 pm

Eagle wrote:What do you think of a TD frame of 2 x 4's with the tongue made from a 4 x 4 or two 2 x 4's glued/bolted together?

Thought it would be easy to put together and with the roof "goo" it should last a long time.

TIA,

Eagle

It could work but would you really want to drag it down the highway at 65+? Some of the earlier plans called for wooden frames but average travel speeds and distances were lower.
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Eagle » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:38 pm

That is why I asked. Do not plan to go far with it. The wife's idea of roughing it is Holiday Inn Express, so this will be solo time and I do not see myself going more than 50 maybe 100 miles one way. So, going 70 MPH is not a big deal. Probably more like less than 25 miles will be my travel range.

Does bring up another question, how fast would you feel safe pulling a wood framed TD? A bolt together metal frame? Somehow, a bolt together metal frame does not put a picture of safety at highway speeds in my mind either. What are some of the things people are doing to keep the nuts and bolts together?

I was thinking about glue and lag bolts for the wood frame and dado the 4x4 with the front part of the frame. Also using 2 x 4 or perhaps angle iron to brace the tongue. What about putting a steel flat on the bottom of the 4 x 4? Where are the weak points in a wood frame? Just thinking outloud and needing constructive (no pun intended) input.

Gee, can anyone tell I have never built a TD before? :lol: :lol:

Thanks again for any input. Best to make your mistakes on this forum than on the road!!!!!!!

Safety Fast!! (no I do not plan to use the MG to pull my TD)

Eagle
Eagle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Arne » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:09 am

a strip of 1/2" ply between the 2x4s will add a lot of integrity to your plan.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Eagle » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:46 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I take it this is not a great idea and maybe nobody knows how to tell to go on to plan B.

How do you keep the bolt together trailers from coming apart???
I don't think I would feel very safe going down the highway at 65 mph pulling one. Then again, I do not see me going very fast pulling a TD or going long distances. So, if you see me in Canada, I must have moved from Oklahoma to near where you found me. :wink: :lol:

ON TO PLAN B!!!!

Eagle
Eagle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby RC » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:51 pm

Eagle wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I take it this is not a great idea and maybe nobody knows how to tell to go on to plan B.

How do you keep the bolt together trailers from coming apart???
I don't think I would feel very safe going down the highway at 65 mph pulling one. Then again, I do not see me going very fast pulling a TD or going long distances. So, if you see me in Canada, I must have moved from Oklahoma to near where you found me. :wink: :lol:

ON TO PLAN B!!!!

Eagle

I have a Harbor Freight trailer with 8 inch wheels that I bought almost 2 decades ago. I have hauled it all over the west coast at speeds that would scare you! I have had 2 large motorcycles in it for extended periods of time (Harley Davidson) and have never done anything to the trailer. It is still in great shape. Don't think these little bolt together trailers are fragile, as my experience says they aren't. I don't abuse it, but I use it.
It worked until I fixed it!!!
RC
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:25 pm

Eagle wrote:Thanks for the reply.

ON TO PLAN B!!!!

Eagle

Plan B sounds better than plan A!!! :wink: There, I told you!!! :D

Plan C is even better yet...!!!

But to answer your question... bolt together trailers use nylock nylon locking nuts. Many people use bolt togethers without a problem. Others have problems with soft bolts, bad fits, and material fatigue. Read the thread on Larwyn's bolt together to get an idea...

So what is plan C? To take your bolt together to a friend, or to a muffler shop and have them weld up your bolt together.

Plan D might be buying something like the Snowbear trailer at Home Depot

Plan E might be having a custom made trailer built by a welding fabricator.

Only you know what's right for you. All we ask is that you keep everyone's safety in mind!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Eagle » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:19 pm

Only you know what's right for you. All we ask is that you keep everyone's safety in mind!

This is objective #1. Without this, objective #2, HAVE FUN, is hard to do.

have a Harbor Freight trailer with 8 inch wheels that I bought almost 2 decades ago. I have hauled it all over the west coast at speeds that would scare you! I have had 2 large motorcycles in it for extended periods of time (Harley Davidson) and have never done anything to the trailer. It is still in great shape. Don't think these little bolt together trailers are fragile, as my experience says they aren't. I don't abuse it, but I use it.

Nuff Said!!! That is plenty good enough for me.

Thanks again TD'ers.

The more I think about a wooden frame the more problems I see with it, NOW. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks,

Eagle
Eagle
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Member Designs