While I'm waiting for my frame,...

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

While I'm waiting for my frame,...

Postby GregB » Wed May 10, 2006 6:19 pm

I have a little time on my hands while waiting for my frame to be welded and thought that I'd try to model the Minibago in SketchUp. Here's what I came up with so far:

I tried to minimize the sheer bulk of the design with the paint scheme, but I think this falls into the "fridge fallen over" category. She's 5' 9" wide by 11' 8" long (trailer body only). I also added 6" in skirting to camouflage the chassis and wrap around the wheels some. The 2' square over the wheels is an access door to a storage compartment that runs all the way through to the other side. Access to the kitchen will be via cargo doors rather than a hatch.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby madjack » Wed May 10, 2006 6:44 pm

...ya know what Greg...that is gonna be pretty cool looking...the paint scheme really helps set things off................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby edevans » Wed May 10, 2006 10:03 pm

I like that would like to see what your interior layout is going to be. :applause: :applause: Ed
edevans
The 300 Club

Postby jagular7 » Thu May 11, 2006 9:01 am

Cool design. I like it.

May I suggest couple of things:
- Raise the center of the camper couple of inches down the centerline front to back. This will help with drainage as well as headroom.
- For the 'skirting', enclosed the area to store chairs, easy-up, firewood, etc. Things that you need to go camping and really don't need anywhere else. These things will get wet with rain, so rather not throw wet items into your bed for the home trip.
- For the kitchen access, use the hatch door(s) (I plan the same), but then add a fabric awning that would roll out when the doors are open/closed.
- Off the kitchen doors, add a locking arm to secure door open and add a drop down small counter top for use space. If you really get some ingenuity and have the correct hinges, have the doors be cabinets for food items.
- Add underneath the camper an enclose space to store a table for boondocking. I've got a 3x6 table to use as a picnic table when boondocking.

Any reason for a square-ish tail rather than a slope? Through access is great but the space will be loonngg at 5'9". No roof windows?
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 11, 2006 5:41 pm

That's coming along nicely Greg... nothing like the first miniBago that I modeled up!!! :o

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby PresTx82 » Fri May 12, 2006 2:39 am

It'll look real good being pulled by a JEEP!
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby GregB » Fri May 12, 2006 9:42 am

Here is the most current design version. I like it a lot better, anybody else want to give me an opinion?

Jag,

I had originally designed it with a flat roof so I could store sheet goods up there for HD trips. I have figured out a way to store it underneath the frame now, so I can pitch the roof and avoid the "Kenmore on its side" look. I want to keep it low so I'm using a 48" wall height.
I have already planned a long, narrow storage area behind the skirt (gotsta' have a place for my fishing poles). More importantly, I have a 2'x2'x5'9" storage space for my tables, pop-up and other wet gear, behind the access panel you see over the wheels.
Still trying to decide between hatch and cargo doors for the kitchen, both have advanteges. Cargo doors allow the kitchen counter to double in width, but sealing them for travel makes me worried.
Also thinking about reducing the overall width to 5' 2", (walls will be 1" thick with 1/4" dado for the floor) so its just wide enough for a queen-size bed. Outer wheel to outer wheel mearurement on the HF #1740 is only 62", so 69" width might look goofy with all that overhang.

BTW, Ed I'm still drawing the interior cutaway, but from front to back,...
I'll have a 10" overhang over the front cargo box for my "bay" window, an 84" long bed space with a 2'x2' externally accessible storage compartment over my feet. Next is a 1' wide access area, the upper kitchen cabinets will be here, the lower 30" will be for batteries, electrical and a space for my long cooler to slide into. The kitchen is normalish but the aforementioned cooler will sit on the right side in a drawer that extends lengthwise under the counter and into the 1' access area. The sink is on the left with a 1' wide space to the left of it for the Coleman water heater.
Sorry to be so long-winded, but I get valuable feedback from thinking out loud.

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Fri May 12, 2006 10:15 am

The kitchen (or galley) will be in the same place in the rear hatch area?

Can you round off the roof a bit to match the traditional teardrop look with keeping to your original design? That might give it the touch you need!
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby GregB » Fri May 12, 2006 10:22 am

Yup, galley is in the back. I've tried to keep the rectilinear look rather than curving it because it will be towed behind the jeep and is an off-road design. Besides, if I put even one curve in it I can't still call it the MiniBago, can I? :lol:

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Fri May 12, 2006 10:37 am

That's true! I just wanted to see what it would look like rounded off. The squared look appeals to me as I've stated before, we're also a JEEP family and we do a lot of off roading.

Last weekend my wife and I took both our JEEPS up into the mountains and camped with the kids this weekend. She blew two tires and broke her jack. If we would of taken a Teardrop (if we had one that is) where we went, we would have destroyed it!
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby jagular7 » Fri May 12, 2006 1:11 pm

GregB wrote:Image

Great graphics. The paint color matches the Jeep?

Here are some more thoughts for design:
- my comment on the rake of the roof was for a rake side to side and not rearward. The Award camper is designed this way. An awning can be attached directly underneath the edging of the side to roof plane, then rain will run off the top onto the awning and then onto the ground. If you also have a rake to the rear, then the top would have a 'fin' look to it.

This is where I got the idea. I don't recall whose TD design this is, but it was in an album.

- with the large overhang, design a rear hang for clearance, ie. Australian offroad campers
Example:

and
Notice the 'skid rail' underneath.

- a hatch has the self cover when opened. With the barn doors, you have the capability to have extra counter space or table, but no cover. An additional awning would be necessary, or the easy-up would have to cover it. It's these kinds of things I've considered. I've gone over how I would layout my camping gear with a TD and this ties into how the TD will be used.
- for sealing the barn doors, look at cargo trailers and their mechanisms. Those rugged looking bars would probably look pretty cool on all the doors, even side and access, with the rugged 'square-look' of the camper. Even if they are non-functional.

Just a few more comments.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby GregB » Fri May 12, 2006 2:57 pm

You make a good point. There are more trailers around here with the side mount cargo doors than you can shake a stick at. They do look rugged but they might ruin the look of the trailer, or they might complement it. Guess I'll have to try and see. Notice the rear hang has been modified, you can even see the frame underneath, now. I have to decide what level trail to design for and then make design decisions accordingly. I doubt very much that I will use this on anything more technical than a 2.0-2.5 level trail, but I want to be able to not worry about it. BTW, regarding the roof pitch, I just don't like the peak in the middle look. :thinking: I have been thinking about a custom awning that uses poles that angle out from the trailer to cover the whole body extending out over both doors. It would look like a wing. Either that or I will adapt my 11x11 tent to attach to the trailer opening. An attachable room is mandatory for me so I'm designing it at the same time as the trailer.
GregB
500 Club

Postby edevans » Fri May 12, 2006 3:21 pm

Thanks for the update. I like what you are doing. Maybe just me but I like the flat roof. The thing I like about this forum everyone is so willing to share and exchange design ideas and we can mix, match and change to fit our personal needs. Looking forward to seeing your final design. I think your are going about this correctly and putting a lot of thought into it before hand. :applause: :applause: Ed
edevans
The 300 Club

Postby GregB » Fri May 12, 2006 5:01 pm

My problem is thinking it to death before doing anything. My frame gets back to me tonight. I bought a $20 HF grinder and wheels and now I get to actually do something other than stare into a monitor. Still, the last bit of input has helped me make some crucial decisions. Now I need to decide if I should upgrade to 13" or 14" wheels; those 12" wheels look great on a 4x8 but they might look a little too small on the MiniBago.

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby jagular7 » Fri May 12, 2006 11:27 pm

GB
You know, I missed all the little changes you listed. Now I see the little details. To figure out about the barn door hinges/locking and since you appear to have a good hand on graphics, draw them in. Rather than the swing-arm type like that of a u-haul, figure posts that go into a bracket. Play with the layout a little, different latches, etc. Don't forget about the latches the current hybrid campers use for their drop down bed. Or the kind of latches that hold the swing tire carrier on a Jeep.

For the tire size, I really don't know how to look at this. Wouldn't the size work with the overall weight? Then also have to work with the axle being leafed or torsional? Would it be difficult to change once you complete and load the TD?
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Member Designs