Raven design

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Raven design

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:32 pm

What the heck... I'll start working on a new design...

I want to see if I can turn the Raven into something desireable...

Here's the original...

The last time I looked at the Raven I was thinking like this...

with the galley in the back, and a Lil Diner setup inside...

Of course I am open to any suggestions...

I do plan on making this a 100% 12 v teardrop, so ignore the AC in that 2nd pic.

And it's got to be really light...

any thoughts?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:48 pm

Mike, as always we gonna watch this one with interest,,, :thumbsup:

I dont know the weights but how bout something along the line of light weight frame for the body out of 1x2 or cut out frame from 1/2 inch plywood,,, glue 1/8" ply or masonite to the inside walls,, insulate and secure 032 aluminum to the exterior ribs of the frame,(no outside sheeting) 1/8" celing to ribs and 032 alum,, maybe 040 attached to to ribs without roof sheeting, blocks and brace where necessary,,, commercial campers have been running up and down the roads in a similiar configuration for years,,,,frame/body uni build to form a unit rather than seperate,, minimum cabnets and build out of thinner wood also use core construction where possible,,

just thinking out loud

chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby PaulC » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:07 pm

That hatch height would be a problem for me at 761/4" tall :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Yahnozha » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:18 pm

I do like the full height door in the origional, its just a nice touch.
P@ = Pat, yep that simple
Yahnozha
Teardrop Builder

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:29 pm

Mike,

I've been also thinking about something like the Raven. You know I don't think I've ever seen that picture before. But, anyway, my thoughts have been toward having twin beds like the orignal picture(drop the table it makes into a kingsize) Another thing I was thinking of using the half torsion axels and having a drop floor come in the door and go down the middle between the beds. The wheel wells would be under the beds, using small wheels/tires I thought I could have standing head room, I'm not 6'4" like Paul, and still get the trailer in a standard garage door. Thanks for posting the Raven.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:40 am

Steve,

Here's another picture of the Raven...

If anyone is wondering why this English teardrop has the door on the right side, and the steering wheel on the left, it's cause I mirrored the pic!

:o :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:25 pm

:applause: Thanks Mike,
You may have just solved my extra foot problem. Wanna practice, just come down here and build it on my trailer. :twisted:
Aunti
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:59 am

Miriam C. wrote::applause: Thanks Mike,
You may have just solved my extra foot problem. Wanna practice, just come down here and build it on my trailer. :twisted:
Aunti

Hmmmm, well I'm glad I was able to solve your problem. What was the problem again? Your trailer was too long?

So you are going to build a version of the Raven now? :? :lol:

Mike
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:48 am

You may have just solved my extra foot problem.
Aunti

Three legs or are you too tall :lol:

Guess who :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:55 am

The more I play with this design, the more it wants to become a tall slumbercoach with a T@B interior.

Were people really that short in the 1930's? Just eyeballing the vintage plans, it appears the mattresses in the Raven were only 60" long. :?

At the moment this is the best I can do.

Mike...

P.S. Maybe I'll have some more ideas after a Hard Lemonaid!!! :icedtea:
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:24 am

Here is a stab at a 10' version.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:33 am

mikeschn wrote:Were people really that short in the 1930's? Just eyeballing the vintage plans, it appears the mattresses in the Raven were only 60" long.

I reckon the original Raven's berths were around 66" long:

And I think there are two responses on the length issue:

- Yes people really were shorter then, particularly the poor. The average British soldier in WWI was 5'6" tall! However only the rich could afford the car to tow a trailer at the time of the Argonette (1930s?) and they will have been taller.

- I would guess that people have only come to expect beds significantly longer than themselves in recent decades - all those 50s US trailer plans have beds around 72" and never more than 74".

Andrew

On edit:

PS There is nothing stopping you from making the ends of the berths overhang the door opening by at least 3".

PPS And what's with the 840px wide graphics? You wanna watch out, 'cos the forum admins round here are pretty sharp and you could get in trouble...... :twisted:
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:26 am

angib wrote:
PS There is nothing stopping you from making the ends of the berths overhang the door opening by at least 3".

PPS And what's with the 840px wide graphics? You wanna watch out, 'cos the forum admins round here are pretty sharp and you could get in trouble...... :twisted:

Okay, I resized the graphics. Does that fit your screen better?

I have my beds overhanging the door by a touch, but I figure I can increase that just a bit. I figure the minimum distance between the bed and the counter would be 19".

Mike...

Okay, here is my final attempt for today... Now I believe I'll go have another hard Lemonaide! :D
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:00 pm

mikeschn wrote:
Aunti

Hmmmm, well I'm glad I was able to solve your problem. What was the problem again? Your trailer was too long?

So you are going to build a version of the Raven now? :? :lol:

Mike

:oops: :lol: Poor ol Aunti M. gets an idea and detail get lost.

Sorry, I'll post so I don't hijack. :D Would love you opinions.
Aunti
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:26 pm

Mike,

I mentioned the Raven to the wife the other day when you posted these designs. Today she started talking about a TTT, I didn't think she was listening when I told her, but today it was like it was her idea.... :D

I'll have to buy her apple martinis more often. By the way, how is that hard lemonade?
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Next

Return to Member Designs