Just Got Home

Teardrop Gatherings that are National/International in scope includes the United Kindom and Australian Chapters of TearJerkers.

Just Got Home

Postby JunkMan » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:45 pm

Wow! What a great time!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
It was VERY hot, but the people and the trailers were FANTASTIC!
:awesome:
We didn't get our trailer done and had to tent it, but we did get lots of great ideas.

Odie & I would like to thank everyone that worked so hard to make this event come off. I don't want to mention names, because I'm sure that I will miss someone (not to mention that my brain is in teardrop overload :? and I can't remember half of them), but you all did an excelent job. We also want to thank all of the great people that were there, willing to share their ideas and stories with us.

I felt like a kid in a candy store, wandering the campground checking out all of the great trailers. It was great to finally meet many of the people that I have corresponded with on this forum. :shake hands:

I didn't get to take as many pictures as I wanted, since I was too busy talking and looking, but I did get a few, and will try to post them in the next day or so.

This was our first teardrop event, but it sure won't be our last. :thumbsup:
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

git-r-dun

Postby doug hodder » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:36 pm

Hey Junkman!!!! It was great to meet and visit with you. Now that you have a couple of handles, you need a tear to attach them too right? I look forward to seeing your posts and photos...besides you owe it to that Racoon huh??? Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby JunkMan » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:51 pm

Doug, I really enjoyed talking to you, and checking out your tear. It gave me a few new ideas, really like how youmounted the taillights, and the LED clearance lights.

Maybe I should name the tear the Racoon? :o

I was out picking up a new set of saw horses today so I could get back to work. One of the old ones collapsed while I was out of town, and dumped one of my sides on the floor, ruining a couple of my good clamps (couln't have been the darn Harbor Freight ones :x ) and dinging the interior birch panel. Guess I shouldn't have had so many boxes of floor tile and paint cans on it holding things in place :roll:

Also bought a used sunroof at the junkyard today, that I am going to try to use instead of a vent on top (another idea from Minden).

The latch set came just in time, the doors are one of the next things I have to make. Thanks Grant & Carey (sorry, but I don't remember which one of you donated them).
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby WarPony » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:49 pm

What's this racoon business about? Did you and Odie get a visitor in camp?
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:54 pm

WarPony...........Junkman hit a racoon on the road on the way there and did a bunch of damage to the airdam on the bug...............Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby WarPony » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:08 pm

Doug, I think when he hit that racoon, it jacked up a motion sensor on "her car". That's why when JunkMan touched it the alarm went off :lol: .... twice!! Sorry Jeff, had to get that one in on ya'!
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:14 am

Yeah!!!! I forgot about that! Doug Hodder :lol: :lol:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby JunkMan » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:20 am

The darn car just doesn't like me :cry:

We went back up the road Friday morning (had to get some tools to take the air dam off), and didn't see the coon, so I'm not sure if we killed it, or if it just went under the car. Considering how low the Bug sits, I can't believe that a critter the size of that coon could have made it under without killing it.

As for the car, the plastic belly pan and attaching parts took a hell of a beating, I'll have to crawl under it this weekend and see what I can do to repair it.
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby DestinDave » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:42 pm

Jeff, before you crawl under the car, use a mirror to check and see if the 'coon is hiding in the suspension - he's liable to be pretty pissed off and looking for revenge. :rofl2:
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby JunkMan » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:20 pm

Actuall, I'm pretty pissed off & looking for revenge :x

Of course I guess he's not too happy either :O

We were going down a gravel road today, and tore a hole in the oil pan. After towing the Bug home and checking the damage, I think that dam coon dented the oil pan enough that when we scraped it on some gravel today, it sprung a leak (we had to take off the plastic air dam that went under the engine after it got busted up by the coon). The A/C compressor has also been making noise since we hit the damm thing.

Just some rough numbers, it looks like $300 for a oil pan, $400 labor, $300 for new plastic air deflector, $75 for an oil change (it uses synthetic), no idea what the A/C compressor might cost if it is screwed up. Spending the weekend with over 200 teardroppers in Minden, PRICELESS :lol:
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby JunkMan » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:46 pm

Well, the Bug's repair came out a lot better than I anticipated. I was able to get the oil pan welded. Removed and replaced it myself. Salvaged most of the original plastic, just had to buy one piece, and get creative with the others. Epoxied the fan mount (will still need to replace the fan some day, but not for the $179 the dealer wants for it!).

Parts & welding came to just under a hundred bucks. :thumbsup: Car was off the road for 3 days, but total actual labor time was only a few hours.

Sure am glad that it started leaking after we got back home, and not in Minden.
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby DestinDave » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:02 pm

Good deal Jeff... My rear window and air-conditioing problems won't be so cheap! About 1400 if I buy new - haven't checked with salvage yards yet.
If I wait much longer though, I won't need A/C :lol:
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Return to National/International