The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Postby toypusher » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:40 pm

Not much new here. I did get a couple very short rides in and feel that I might be improving a tiny bit so far.

How are things with the loggers these days?
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:54 pm

Logger update: I am not sure what I have shared.. we went to see the land owner…. because there were no loggers to be found. They work for a few days.. and then are gone quite a while… them come back and work. I don't think they have been out here since our "event".

The land owner said he would go take a look the next day… A week later still no change.. so I contacted the Maine Forrest Service, which is our law enforcement for these type of things. I have played phone tag with them a bit. The Officer for my area was going away so was out of the office Friday. She will be back tomorrow and I will call again. They did give other numbers and such IF I needed someone sooner.

I will talk to her to get her feedback.. which might require her to come out.. but I think her office is nearby.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby toypusher » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:54 am

Hope you get some satisfaction on the logging front.

No work for me today. Have to take my wife to work because she is putting her car in the shop today. Having it checked out before we go to Georgia next week. Will be gone 30th thru the 5th. Taking our great neice down to see her boyfriend who is in the army and going to school at Ft Gordon in Augusta.

Need to get fuel in my truck and also need to mow the back yard and trim all of it as well as along the road in front of my property. Might try to get a shot in my left knee today as it has been bothering me a bit lately and won't see the doctor again until end of July.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:11 am

A quick trip to the lumber yard.. then a seperate trip to get fuel. Unloading.. I hear equipment out back.. so I jump on the RTV.. and drive out.. I get there and I hear NOTHING.. so I walk around… nothing. I sort of head towards their yard where they are hauling it out.. I don't hear anything the whole way.. and I get there and the skidded is there.. and there are no other trucks or signs of anyone being there. :thinking: :? So at that point I decide to walk back the road vs trying to find my way back.. and then I remember I drove part way out there... :? :x So I walk the road a bit and then cut through the woods, and find the RTV.

While out there I cut a few more storm downed trees that are blocking trails. A couple we had seen Thursday while riding.. and another I found walking back out to the RTV.

I get back to the house and figure I might try and go get a "load" of top soil and compost.. which I was supposed to do 3 weeks ago. I haul the trailer to the driveway with the tractor.. then hook the van up to it. I get to the store.. and there is another truck and big trailer there.. he was in position ahead of me.. but I paid first.. so the guy was going to load me.. but he wanted me to move the trailer over THERE.. It's a big trailer.. on a big van.. and the first time I have used it on this vehicle.. and the first time in years that I have used it at all. I did get it where he wanted it without too much trouble. :NC

After playing phone tag with the Forrest service person a few more times.. I did get a hold of her. I did talk to her first.. and kind of let on it isn't a huge mess or anything.. she said she was very willing to come and look. She is just a few miles away in Benton.

Hmm at one of my other trips back home.. I did hear equipment out back again.. maybe they have started cutting on the other parcel?? :thinking: :(
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:30 pm

In our ride last night.. we didn't find any other logging yet. They just mowed [bushhog maybe] and did some other clean up work at the beach out there. :thinking: :NC :shrug:

An ok work day today.. and a freaking hard ride tonight.. goodly painful. It was very very windy.. yet we still went pretty fast.

I was supposed to help out at work a bit tomorrow.. but the boss is going to help. So I have it off. I will probably start on my woodshed. We do have the Maine Forrest.. officer coming out tomorrow afternoon… and I think Laurie is taking the afternoon off..

oh.. One of our Monday night trail riders.. who is gone in the winter.. was back for his first ride last night. He is a contractor.. or does contractor work.. but usually works alone. He was talking about all the work he has lined up already etc.. so I made some comment about him not being available for my roof.. and he said he would help.. if I got the materials and such.. he would help. [With Laurie he and I.. and us keeping him supplied… we could easily do it in a day.. and that help would be HUGE!! :banana:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:05 pm

Congrats on getting the help you need for your roof! :thumbsup:

I finally got a shot in my bad knee and it is not 100% pain free, but much, much better and should get better over the next few days. Put in a 10 hour day between my two jobs and should have mowed when i got home but just could not force myself to do it. Everything here is getting really dry so I am very, very dirty from mowing all day today. :(

Might be going to the gun show this weekend with Mark, but not if he will make it for not yet. Hope so, because I need his help to take out our old microwave and help put the new one in.

Did not sleep much last night. Been awake since about 0230 this morning. :SH
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:39 am

Bummer on the sleep.. it does make it hard. I hope you knee improves.

We have been quite dry also, so when I mow.. even for just a few hours.. I get filthy. It's so dusty.

I got a bit done on the wood shed, without "killing" myself.
We met with the Maine Forest Officer yesterday. Our appointment was for 2:00. She called early afternoon and said she had an emergency repair being done on her truck. She didn't get there until almost 4:00. We had a storm coming through. We had had thunder and lightning, and a strong wind earlier but by the time she got here it was a just moderate rain.

Interestingly she knew of the trails ahead of time, she had heard of them. Down to the "business" part of it. There isn't much she or us can do. Our laws favor loggers. Of course we would need the area surveyed to move forward.. which would cost a bit. But using the established corner post.. and their flagging. A line tree was cut. Even with it surveyed my only recourse is a civil suit, and while logging wise the tree may be worth $1,000. In a civil case, it is only worth a little over $100. I have maybe a dozen to 20 trees damaged, where they dropped trees on our land.. again just a civil case.

She will ask them to clean up the messes they have left.. but they can ignore her. It's really quite frustrating.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:06 pm

Looks like you could use some new logging laws around there!

I was out mowing my yard today and my pto on the mower stopped working. Have blown 3 fuses trying to get it going again. I talked to the guy I bought it from and he is going to check it out for me. Hoping it is an electrical problem, but if I have to get a new pto clutch - they are about $120 on line. :x

Got a text from one of my sisters and a cousin of ours died. He was 94.

Hoping to get my new microwave installed on Sunday with help from my buddy Mark and then on Monday we are planning on going to the range he is a member of and burn some powder. To this point I have only fired 2 rounds from my new handgun.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:55 pm

toypusher wrote:Looks like you could use some new logging laws around there!

I was out mowing my yard today and my pto on the mower stopped working. Have blown 3 fuses trying to get it going again. I talked to the guy I bought it from and he is going to check it out for me. Hoping it is an electrical problem, but if I have to get a new pto clutch - they are about $120 on line. :x

Got a text from one of my sisters and a cousin of ours died. He was 94.

Hoping to get my new microwave installed on Sunday with help from my buddy Mark and then on Monday we are planning on going to the range he is a member of and burn some powder. To this point I have only fired 2 rounds from my new handgun.

Yeah Logging is big business here.. and "they" don't want anything to impede commerce. Our Ranger was very sympathetic… but she can only do so much. A good part of me wants to ignore my ethics.. and seek some type of pay back.

I am sorry to hear about your mower. I hope you can get it sorted.

We are to have a great weekend weather wise. Laurie is taking tomorrow afternoon off. I will probably pick up more lumber tomorrow. hmm I might need some stain also. I hope to get more done on the wood shed. I will use rough [one side] shiplap boards.. and will stain the edges as I put it up. I should be able to get a lot done on it this weekend. I did pick up more mesh [fencing] to make another gabion. I have one more smaller one to put up on the that side of the porch. So woodshed work.. gabion work.. and I can always go back to the barn work.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:42 pm

I was VERY tired when I got home after work Thurs. night.. but Laurie and Angela.. were there waiting for me.. so we could ride. [I knew it was a possibility] We had a good ride.. it was great to get out. Fortunately I was not the only tired one.

Then Friday I worked on my woodshed.
The club has their biggest even this weekend. We had not helped with prep.. and did not plan on being at it… but Laurie wrote Chris [the president] to see if there was anything not to big we could help with.

Chris asked us to ride the courses to see if they were marked well. He knew I would be good at that. So we went done to ride. :) We had someone who knew the course ride behind me. I went off course on the Time Trial loop… and made a couple of other changes / recommendations. Then another rider and off to the 6 hour course. I rode that one ok.. but make a couple of changes there also. Overall it was marked very well.

We came home to a phone Message from the Forrest Ranger. She said the logger had called her and would be out Monday morning to clean up his mess. He could have come sooner, but was going away for the weekend to help his son with something. It is a good sign that he wants to come right away. I am not sure if I want to go out and have a talk with him.. or just leave it. :thinking:

We have been doing more work on the woodshed today. I still had a few things to do before putting the siding on. I had a little blocking to install, and I put some plywood in a couple of corners to brace it against racking. I was going to do all 4 corners, but it seems the 2 made a huge difference. [considering is is less than 4 feet deep just doing on side would probably be enough.

I am using shiplapped boards.. So I get to stain the ends and the shiplaps before I install them… that and many of the boards needing to be a different size.. etc. It is going a little slow. Although I do have 3 of the 4 walls done. I have fully stained each of those walls already also though. This will be a NICE addition. It will work so much better than the wood racks with the "fabric" covers.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby caseydog » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:52 pm

I bet I can kill this thread. :twisted: :D

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:14 pm

caseydog wrote:I bet I can kill this thread. :twisted: :D

CD

:goodmorning: Hey CD.. :lips:

It would not take all that much to kill it now. For the most part it is just Kerry and I… and he is not here all that often now :NC :roll: 8) Occasionally someone will pop in.. but not much.

So how are you?
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:37 pm

CD

Now there's a blast from the past! Nice seen ya! :thumbsup:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:40 pm

I got my mower fixed finally. It was the pto for sure. Got too hot and burned up inside apparently. :shock: Anyway, it only cost me $60 to get a new PTO and it seems to work fine (for now anyway).

I somehow managed to loose the keys to my work truck and the boss will have to get new ones made.

Doubt that I will be posting over the next week or so. Leaving for GA in the morning about 4AM. Be back on the evening of the 5th. :D
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby caseydog » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm

Fenlason wrote:

CD

:goodmorning: Hey CD.. :lips:

It would not take all that much to kill it now. For the most part it is just Kerry and I… and he is not here all that often now :NC :roll: 8) Occasionally someone will pop in.. but not much.

So how are you?

Doin' okay. Not much new happening. Sold the big car and got a MIINI CooperS. Love it! Sold the TD to a guy in Louisiana, and he seems to like it. Still takin' pictures of cars. Not much else to talk about.

So, I see the sheep aliens still have you stationed on Earth.

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic